• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scruffy
    232 I6
    • Jun 17, 2000

360 Rebuild or Chevy 350

Ok,let's try this again.

After the delayed realization of the costs for adapters to drop in a chevy engine,I have started to wonder if rebuilding my tired 360 isn't a better idea over-all.
    I am most concerned about reliability,durability and endurance. I have heard nothing but lovely,flowery things about Chevy smallblocks,but hear people speak less enthusiastically about their AMC 360 on the regular.
    I am somewhat put off on the idea of a rebuild project due to the timing cover,what some seem to see as the "weak link" inherent of the AMC 360.
    Also,I see Chevy smallblock performance parts sold nearly everywhere except the dentist's office,yet must search for comparable parts for my AMC.

This is a troubling question due to the fact I have the funds now to pay for the engine swap (Rebuilt 350 from Blue-chips,adapter and new mounts) but wonder if I could save loads of money just by rebuilding mine. But again,I am certainly not willing to sacrifice durability for money saved.

The FSJ will have a Holley TBI installed within the year,if that helps any.

The opinions I hear here on this forum I tend to take seriously,so your opinions will no doubt heavily influence my decision.
    Thanks a bunch!

[This message has been edited by Scruffy (edited July 25, 2000).]

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Adamstrator ]
  • scotty
    • Jun 12, 2000

how are you adaptaing this chevy engine? what year is your jeep?

you can keep things simple and cheap by installing a complete chevy drivetrain. depending on the year,this could be easy,or take alittle searching. if youve got a pre-1980 jeep,you have a passenger side diff and could use the small block,th 350,and 203 or 205 out of one of the billion chevy trucks/blazers that came with this combo. you could even use a th350 or 700r and a 208. from an early/mid 80s chevy. if youve got an 80 or newer,youll have to search alittle harder for an engine,tranny,and nv 241 out of an ifs chevy truck with the same driver side drop.

for what its worth: the biggest advantage of the sbc is that they are a dime a dozen and tons of aftermarket parts exist for dirt cheap. this fact may help offset the cost of adapters or a new drivetrain.however,if you want a mildly built reliable,durable engine, it may be worth the extra $$$ up front for the simplicity sake of everything bolting back together the way it came apart.

if youre a gearhead thats constantly modifying,or swapping parts,and you dont intend for whatever you put in to be permanent,then the chevy may save you money in the long run.

if you want a strong,reliable motor that hopefully you wont have to mess with again, id go with the amc engine.

------------------
    scott
    85 grand wagoneer
    258/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/amc 20
    38x15.5 gumbo mudders
    snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
    3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
    custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd
    scotty
    85 grand wagoneer
    258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
    38" TSL SXs