• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 86Wag
    232 I6
    • Jul 11, 2004

Let's talk bumpers...

Aftermarket ones, in particular. How many of you have them, and what are the pros/cons to them? I am working on making a front bumper and I have an idea for what I want, but I figured I'd throw it out there to those that have off road bumpers already
    Andy

Live free or die
  • thomastenn
    232 I6
    • Jun 30, 2008

look on bjs offroad looks like good designs
    looking to initiate project j715

Comment

• misfittom138
      350 Buick
      • Dec 19, 2007

We made mine out of some 2x6 steel with front and rear reciever hitches. I wanted to be able to use a cradle mount winch at either end. And I have a solid spot for a tow strap at either end.
      81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• 86Wag
        232 I6
        • Jul 11, 2004

I'd like to make something big enough for the front that a winch could fit into, kinda like the Ramsey bumpers

Also, for shackles, is just welding a pair on strong enough for what is typically done? The only kind of wheeling I've done thus far I haven't worried about it, but I'd rather not rip the shackles out/off some day.
        Andy

Live free or die

Comment

• CHEW246214
          230 Tornado
          • Dec 19, 2007

if you rip a shackle off believe me you wont forget it...a buddy did that while trying to be pulled out... flew straight through the tailgate of a ford truck into the back of the cab at lightening speed all you heard was a pop, crash, saw the tow rope go slack then glass shatter... If you even question your welds, get a pre-fab one from a good outfit..just find the style you like...and with the cost of metal and tubing today is it really worth building your own??? Just a thought....

Comment

• misfittom138
            350 Buick
            • Dec 19, 2007

Originally posted by CHEW246214
            if you rip a shackle off believe me you wont forget it...a buddy did that while trying to be pulled out... flew straight through the tailgate of a ford truck into the back of the cab at lightening speed all you heard was a pop, crash, saw the tow rope go slack then glass shatter... If you even question your welds, get a pre-fab one from a good outfit..just find the style you like...and with the cost of metal and tubing today is it really worth building your own??? Just a thought....
            It's always worth it!
            81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• 86Wag
              232 I6
              • Jul 11, 2004

Originally posted by CHEW246214
              I work in a metal fab shop

I am definitely not concerned about my welds, just wasn't sure if it was taboo to weld your own shackles on or something. Seems like it would accomplish the same task as buying a set, but for much less money.
              Andy

Live free or die

Comment

• billyrb
                BJ's Off-Road
                • Aug 15, 2001

one of the biggest mistakes people make when winching / using a tow cable / tow strap is that they don't put a towel or shirt on the line. You take a towel (full size) and drap it over the line at the mid-point (loose, don't tie it or secure it)......then, if the cable breaks, hook comes loose / shackle breaks / etc., the towel dissipates the tension on the line, and it tends to pretty much fall onto the ground, rather than whipping like a fishing line. Most winch mfr's recommend that method. Just a heads-up.
                BJ's Off-Road
                [email protected]
                Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• cttandy
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 07, 2008

I had a winch cable snap on the trailer winch once. I had forgotten to put anything over it. It snapped, flew right between the 4 of us talking and landed in the bed of my pickup. No harm, no faul. The only down side was the car that we were winching taking off down the road by itself, but it didn't go but maybe 50 feet. I usually just tossed a chain over the length of the cable. Every other time it snapped with the chain on it, it just fell down.
                  SOLD - NO LONGER A FSJ OWNER
                  http://tnfsj.org/
                  87 GW- BUG (BIG UGLY GUZZLER)
                  Edelbrock intake,Carter Competition Carb, mild cam, HEI Distributor, S-10 Steering box, 3 inch body lift, 3.5 inch AAL lift, GM truck shackles, 2 inch rear blocks, 33x12.50's

Comment

• Brad W.
                    360 AMC
                    • Jan 09, 2003

personally, I like my shackle mounting tabs to go all the way through and be welded on the front AND rear of the bumper. I use 3x4 HREW rectangle, 1/4" wall usually for the bumper, and 5/8"x2.5" bar stock for the shackle tabs. round the ends with a saw & grinder, or they will wound your knee when you least expect it.

I'm not a big fan of the weld on shackles, those belong on trailer decks IMHO. I know many disagree, and use them on their high dollar bumpers, but it's not my cup of tea. The bumper on my cummins uses bent 3/4" round stock instead of "tabs", but it goes all the way through too. I broke the frame on an oldsmobile pulling it with a chain on those, so I know they are strong. It split the frame like a tin can a put a hook shaped dent in my tailgate. thats what happens when your park pawl pin falls into the gears and locks up the trans on a '88 olds!
                    Last edited by Brad W.; 08-19-2008, 10:30 AM.
                    Brad W.
                    1979 wag "Nightmare"
                    **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
                    **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
                    24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
                    4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
                    Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• j20brett
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 05, 2006

Im partial to my own homebuilt one...top middle will be cut out for a winch eventually.

Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• CHEW246214
                        230 Tornado
                        • Dec 19, 2007

the tow rope fell, the tension from the mount snapping there was no stopping the tow hook... the rope went slack and fell....... it came off the line.. BTW I always throw something on the line... I'm kinda anal retentive when it comes to safety no matter what I'm doing...

Comment

Working...
                        X