• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madduck
    258 I6
    • Jul 19, 2005

will 31's fit under a stock ride?

thanks for stoppin' by: got an '86 g.w., totally stock, got the rear saggin' so that is kinda part one of this discussion. i want to get new springs and get her maybe just a tad bit higher than stock. i've seen post say that 2" is stock, some say 3". anyone done a lift recently? maybe ya' got pics? and i want a nice ride. reality is i'll prolly be onroad more than off, sometimes reality bites, but for the dirt i'll drive the cj. who sells the rancho lift for fsj's? i know they are a bit pricey so if i have to wait a little while to get 'em i will. does rancho only have a 2-1/2 lift for front springs and you gotta go with blocks on the rear? do blocks create a stiff ride?

with a stock or slight higher than stock 1.)will 31's fit? 2.)what is the widest tire i can run on stock rims? i like stock stuff and would like to keep the original rims, i don't want crazy wide or anything i'm just curious what width i can run to keep the height/width appearance ration in check.

thanks for ya'll's input and ideas. cheers
  • biscuit
    232 I6
    • Mar 01, 2004

i ran 31 1050 on the stock rim and stock suspention.never rubbed on the street at all

Comment

• Madduck
      258 I6
      • Jul 19, 2005

thanks biscut. i just emailed espo to check on prices and they said they haven't sold g.w. springs in yrs. anyone know if someone in the north tx area might make springs?

thanks

Comment

• 89grand
        Resident ***hole
        • Feb 23, 2003

I ran 31's with no lift for over a year. It never rubbed on the street, but would rub in the rear if I stuffed the tires much off road. A 10.5" tire is the widest recommended for a 7" wheel, but many have ran 11.5's and even 12.5's.

BJ's off road sells stock height springs, 2",4" and 6" lift springs. Stock springs are stock springs, and posts that said 2 or 3" springs are stock are wrong. They probably meant that they should have been that high stock, not that they are stock.

Everybody starts out wanting "a tad bit higher" but soon after want more height. Personally I suggest BJ's 4" kit. It's not that high, cost about the same as any other spring set and will keep your 31's from rubbing in just about any circumstance. Mine have never rubbed since I went with the 4" lift.

Here's mine with a 4" lift and 31's on stock wheels.

Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
        31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
        2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
        2000 Jeep Wrangler
        1988 Cadillac Brougham
        1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
        1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• Madduck
          258 I6
          • Jul 19, 2005

thanks steve your ride looks awesome. that's exactly what i'd like. now...how is the ride? i'm beginning to think my options are limited re:ride quality. if rancho only has a 2-1/2 lift on the front w/ blocks in the rear that kinda limits things doesn't it? i've never been in a vehicle w/ blocks. it seems some like bj's lift, some don't. some like chocolate, some don't(they're usually ill tho). i know it's subjective. W/ 4" do you need longer brake lines? and i'm sure the pitman arm thing is going to be try it and see if i need it.

cheers

Comment

• 89grand
            Resident ***hole
            • Feb 23, 2003

Most of the people that had complaints about the ride quality are people with a 6" lift. That ride is going to be stiff due to the high arch of the springs.

Personally I think BJ's 4" kit rides pretty good. It's a little stiffer than stock of course, but it's not bad at all. I drive mine everyday on the freeway and I have no issues with the ride quality at all. When I first installed it, it was pretty bouncy, but that settled down after a few months. Longer stainless steel brake lines come with the 4" kit. A pitman arm doesn't, but you may not really need it. I bought one and I have never installed it, and I've been lifted for over 2 years. I may put it on one day just to see how it is...if I ever get motivated enough.

A lot of times people think a 4" lift will be too much, but after they see it they realize that it's just about the ideal set up. High enough to make the rig look cooler and more usefull, but low enough not to look insane.
            Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
            31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
            2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
            2000 Jeep Wrangler
            1988 Cadillac Brougham
            1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
            1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• Kali
              304 AMC
              • Mar 29, 2005

Longer brake lines arent essential on a 4" kit, at least my truck doesnt have any and it was wheeled in the the arizona desert for years before i bought it and it was fine.

Neither is a drop pit man arm, although I would like to get one for my truck because i do experience a bit of 'bump steer', while most others do not (like 89grand).

if youre looking for ride quality then skyjacker is the company for you, but be prepared to pay A LOT of money for a kit. BJs recently stocked the 4" skyjacker kits, but I didnt see the 2.5" kit on thier website. Many claim that the skyjacker 4" lift is in reality a 4.5-5" lift, so you may want to shop around for the 2.5" kit, or go with the BJs 4" kit which really is 4" of lift and is easy to locate.
              1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
              Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

Comment

• JeeperJay
                258 I6
                • Apr 26, 2005

Just another vote for the BJ's springs.

BTW, if you buy the Rancho 2.5" kit with rear blocks, your poor Jeep is STILL going to have the Wag Sag. Think about it...you are replacing the worn out front springs with 2.5" lift springs, and adding a 2.5" lift block in back. The worn out springs will still be there.

When I installed the BJ's 4" lift in my '90 Grand Wagoneer, I gained almost 7" in height because my rear springs were so far gone....I had 2 broken leafs on each side!

Steve is right, though. 4" sounds like a lot, but your Jeep will sit about as tall as a stock, newer pick-up truck. It is amazing how low our Jeeps are compared to whatever is on the road today.
                Jason T.
                '04 Grand Cherokee: Silver/ black. 2" lift
                '02 Grand Cherokee: Black/black Laredo with a V8 and Selec-Trac- Totaled in Sept.'07
                '90 Woody:White/maroon. TFI, BJ's 4" & 33" BFGs. Gone but not forgotten
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218533/1

Comment

• vstargirl
                  232 I6
                  • May 16, 2006

I am going to get ALCAN springs, hopefully. They will custom make springs for you, just tell em what you want. My hubby paid about $500.00 for the (7 1/2 inch lift) rear springs on his XJ, and they are guaranteed. They flex great and the ride is awesome too. Check it out, they are really nice folks.
                  www.alcanspring.com/products.htm
                  Jeepaholic? You say it like it's a bad thing.......

Comment

• Madduck
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 19, 2005

thanks all for the info, i guess i'll be going with 4" to get to the 'right' height. jay, what do you think about your ride? are you happy with it? how much difference do various shocks make? can there be a big difference in ride quality of one shock v. another?

thanks again to all for their idea.

Comment

• JeeperJay
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 26, 2005

Originally posted by Madduck
                      thanks all for the info, i guess i'll be going with 4" to get to the 'right' height. jay, what do you think about your ride? are you happy with it? how much difference do various shocks make? can there be a big difference in ride quality of one shock v. another?

thanks again to all for their idea.
                      The ride is a bit stiffer, but now it feels like a truck instead of the family station wagon.

Yes, different shocks will affect the ride. I have the ProComp ES3000 shocks that came with the BJ's lift (note, you do pay for this upgrade from the regular shocks). From my research on here prior to ordering the kit, most people preferred the ProComp shocks over the regular BJ's shocks because they are easier on the back.
                      I'm not sure that I really like them, though. If I could do it again, I would probably get the Rancho RS9000 shocks. They are adjustable, from what I have read.

You can see a bunch of pictures on my CarDomain site....
                      Jason T.
                      '04 Grand Cherokee: Silver/ black. 2" lift
                      '02 Grand Cherokee: Black/black Laredo with a V8 and Selec-Trac- Totaled in Sept.'07
                      '90 Woody:White/maroon. TFI, BJ's 4" & 33" BFGs. Gone but not forgotten
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218533/1

Comment

• fjmf
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 01, 2006

I recently installed Rough country 3" kit, my springs were sagging badly. I wish I could give you a example compared to stock but as I said my spring were in bad shape (rear end saggin, almost rubbed stock 225's), Like I said I installed the RC 3" all spring kit, I think I spent 620 with steering stabilzier, I might have spent a little more then it cost to ship because TN has such high sales tax, ( I live in KY, but it was like a 2 or 3 hour drive to the company so I just went and got them). No bump steer. I also installed 31x10.5 on the stock (I think it is 15x7) rim, I've mudded it hard and never got close to rubbing (thought about 33"s but don't know about that without triming), the ride is not bouncy at all (I've had them on for about a month, they started bouncy but settled down). Every once in awhile I hit something that hurts my butt. But overall not a bad investment for the price. I kinda wish now that I would have bought the 6" for close to the same money, but think it might not be a bad option if you want to keep it cheep.

Comment

• Madduck
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 19, 2005

hey fjmf thanks, 31x10.5 are exactly what i'm thinking on the stock rims from the info i've read and opinions i've gotten. glad your lift is working out good.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X