• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwood65
    258 I6
    • Jul 17, 2017

General quesion for anyone with an LS install

I could never afford it but am just curious.....

Anyone who has installed a LS1, LS3 in a full size jeep or bought one that way.

I am curious what kind of fuel mileage they will get with an auto or manual.

My C5 Corvette with a LS1 and a 6 speed would get right at 30 mpg on the hwy.

Now I realize a FSJ is way heavier, geared different and nowhere near as aerodynamic.....

Just curious what they get in a FSJ.
  • KillyMcGee
    232 I6
    • Aug 26, 2019

Don't have one, am curious as well. But considering these things are close to the same weight and block shape of a K5 blazer, I'd expect a normal stock swap would net a person 15-18mpg on the highway depending on gears and tire size. Less aerodynamic than a Tahoe, but weight slightly less.
    85 and 86 GWs

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by mwood65
      Now I realize a FSJ is way heavier, geared different and nowhere near as aerodynamic.....

You pretty much nailed it.
      If you need to get 30mpgs in a FSJ...son ya bought the wrong car. Even with a crazy expensive computer controlled dsl motor, elec computer controlled OD trans and proper axle gearing transplant you prolly won't see 30 mpg. These are hobby cars not fuel saver friendly commuters. Ya need 30 mpgs, keep driving your computerized Corvette.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• conehead
        232 I6
        • Apr 24, 2006

Don't put a Chevy engine in it, their a dime a dozen. You're never going to get 30 mpg. The AMC 360 is a great engine so I left it in my Wagoneer. It has Howell throttle body fuel injection, got rid of the choking pollution crap, a couple other improvements and a NV4500 five speed and I can get 20 MPG on the highway if I take it easy.
        Last edited by conehead; 09-23-2019, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• 8man
          304 AMC
          • Jan 04, 2011

I did the LS swap. It has way more power than the original 360. As far as gas mileage goes, who knows, I've never checked it. I do know that it is not as fuel efficient as my wife's Durango, but then I didn't do it for the fuel mileage.
          79 Cherokee S (current project)
          82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
          X