GW Wheel Bearing, Spindle Bearing, Rotor Replacement - Information (Many Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin718
    258 I6
    • Nov 22, 2003

GW Wheel Bearing, Spindle Bearing, Rotor Replacement - Information (Many Pictures)

Recently I did some work on my front driver's side wheel assembly, and I wanted to share this information with others who might not know the inner workings of that assembly.

Notes:
    1. The following information is for a 1991 GW wiht a D44 front axle.
    2. The following items were replaced:
    Rotor
    Wheel Bearings
    Hub Grease Seal
    Spindle Bearing
    Spindle Grease Seal
    Brake Pads

Picture #1:
    This is a picture of the hub/rotor assembly with the tire/wheel removed:

Picture #2:
    This is a picture of what I found when the hub cap was removed. This is the drive gear held in place by a snap ring. After removing the snap ring, I had to pull the drive gear out using a hooked probe. The grease was all dried and hard so it did not want to come out.

Picture #3:
    This is a picture of the hub after it was separated from the rotor. I drove out the wheel studs by putting a nut on the end of them and hitting them with a hammer.

Picture #4:
    This is a picture of the inside of the hub after the wheel bearings and outer races were removed, and after much cleaning. You can see where the outer races seat against the raised part in the middle.

Picture #5:
    This is a picture of the hub with the two new bearings installed and packed in grease. Also note the sleeve between the outer bearing and the drive gear teeth. This was the confusing part. My service manual indicates that there should be a pressure spring and a spring cup inbetween the drive gear and the outer bearing, but mine did not have them. I went to the dealership, and they had exploded views that showed either the spring and spring cup or this sleeve, which is just a spacer. After seeing that, I was content to leave the sleeve in place.

Picture #6:
    This is a picture of the spindle with the two spindle nuts and lock washer. The point is to show what has to be removed to get the hub/rotor assembly off of the spindle. When installing, the service manual said to torque the first (inner) nut to 50 ft-lbs while turning the wheel to seat the bearings, then back off 1/6 of a turn. Then when the lock washer is put on, the first nut may need to be adjusted because it has a peg that fits into one of the holes on the lock washer. Then the second (outer) nut is torqued to 50 ft-lbs to keep it all in place.

Picture #7:
    This is a picture of the steering knuckle and spindle after the brake caliper suppor bracket has been removed.

Picture #8:
    This is a picture of the spindle, with the nuts installed, after it has been removed.

Picture #9:
    This is a picture of the inside of the spindle and its bearing.

(To be added in next post, maximum number of pictures is 8.)

Picture #10:
    This is a picture of the spindle axle and shows one part of the old grease seal and where the spindle bearing rides. The grease seal is actually made up of three parts. Two rubber parts and a plastic disc. When I got the bearing replacement kit, it only came with the two rubber parts, which was fine because the plastic disk was in good shape.

(To be added in next post, maximum number of pictures is 8.)

I hope you found this tour of the wheel assembly informative. Obviously this is for the beginners who have never done this before (like me). I have plans to replace the bearings in the passenger's side wheel assembly on another weekend.
    1991 Grand Wagoneer
    360/2150/727/NP229/3.31
  • Kevin718
    258 I6
    • Nov 22, 2003

Pictures not included above:

Picture #9:

Picture #10:

1991 Grand Wagoneer
    360/2150/727/NP229/3.31

Comment

• mdill9
      350 Buick
      • Sep 21, 2004

Looks like you got lucky ! Looking at your first pic, I would have expected to see the outer axle
      stub and spindle to be to rusty to salvage.

Mike D.

Comment

• SpruceMoose
        350 Buick
        • Nov 01, 2000

nice timing! sure looks familiar! i replaced the pax side rotor and pads yesterday, and plan to do the drivers side today. forgot to buy new seals, so i managed to clean out the inner bearing and re-grease it while it was still in the housing.

btw, when you hear the tell-tale chirping from the front brakes, replace the pads before you need new rotors...... (too cold and too busy. thats my story and i'm sticking to it.)

sm.
        88 Grand Wagoneer<br />\"Spruce Moose\"<br /><br />See the Moose at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294</a> <br /><br />AMC 360, DANA 44 F/R 2.72, TF 727, NP 229<br />Jacobs Pro-Street Ignition, Edelbrock 4bbl Intake with Holley 2bbl Analog Pro-Jection<br />Flowmaster 2.5\" 50 Series Delta muffler and tubing<br />K&N cone air filter, Amzoil fluids all around<br />31x10.5 BFG A/T KO<br />Rusty\'s 4\" lift<br />Home-made tube nerfs and bumpers<br />BJs Muscle grill<br />HF,VHF,UHF ham rigs and too many antennas (not)<br />8-Ball shift knob from college (1975)<br />Hella fog and driving lights<br />Kenwood MP3 HU, Orion sub amp, Jensens all around<br /><br />Mileage? We don\'t need no stinkin\' mileage!

Comment

• Joe's 89
          350 Buick
          • Nov 21, 2001

Heck..I didn't know the hub and rotor separated.

Comment

• SoCalCruiser
            258 I6
            • Jun 11, 2001

Any more pictured of the spindle bearing job? I tore into both my front axles this last weekend, but didn't feel like getting into the spindles, although I should have.

Craig
            '90 GW Sand Met./Tan interior (soon to be parted out), nope...sold together with the '91
            '91 GW Hunter Green Met./Sand interior, moonroof

Comment

• SoCalCruiser
              258 I6
              • Jun 11, 2001

I almost forgot....where does the 'C' clip go, the first notch or the closest one to the center of the wag? I've always put mine closest to the center, but I just had all new ball joints installed and the guy (supposed to know Jeeps) put it on the outside notch.

Thx.
              '90 GW Sand Met./Tan interior (soon to be parted out), nope...sold together with the '91
              '91 GW Hunter Green Met./Sand interior, moonroof

Comment

• Green Giant
                360 AMC
                • Jul 31, 2001

Clip goes in inner notch. Thread a bolt into the end of the spindle and pull it out enough to put the clip on.
                But if I were you I would replace the u-joints on the axle shafts since you would have to repeat this process to get to them anyway.
                Todd Moon
                78 Cherokee Chief
                78 Chief
                66 J-3600
                69 J-3500
                67 CJ-5
                67 J-100 w/BARN DOORS

48 CJ2-A
                Proud member of Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                cfsjc.com
                No part of this post, written or pictured, may be re-used by any individual or organization or publication without my express written permission.
                (Thanks, Flint!)

Comment

• Joe's 89
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 21, 2001

I wish we could put this in the FAQ's or something..GREAT reference material.

Comment

• Lambrewski
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 05, 2003

Nice write-up - thank you. Do you have any pics or advice on removing and reinstalling the bearing races??

Does the spindle (caged) bearing just come right out, or is it pressed in?

Also - at pic#10 - does the axle just slide straight out (to have the U-joints replaced)?

Thanks again.
                    '78 Chief S W/T 360cid +.030 & RV cam, AGR steering gear, '80's Astro Van hydroboost, '84 GW steering pump, Edel elec fuel pump, TFI, MSD 6A, MSD eCore 48Kv coil, 8.5mm Spiral, TH400 w/ TCI +2qt pan & shift kit, BW1339, open D44's w/ 3.54's, EDL1406 w/ off-road, 4" spring lift, Rancho, 15x10 MT Classic Locks w/ 33x12.5 Toyo OpenCountry M/T

Comment

• Lambrewski
                      350 Buick
                      • Jun 05, 2003

.....and does anyone have a great writeup (with pics) on doing all this on a rear D44??
                      '78 Chief S W/T 360cid +.030 & RV cam, AGR steering gear, '80's Astro Van hydroboost, '84 GW steering pump, Edel elec fuel pump, TFI, MSD 6A, MSD eCore 48Kv coil, 8.5mm Spiral, TH400 w/ TCI +2qt pan & shift kit, BW1339, open D44's w/ 3.54's, EDL1406 w/ off-road, 4" spring lift, Rancho, 15x10 MT Classic Locks w/ 33x12.5 Toyo OpenCountry M/T

Comment

• Green Giant
                        360 AMC
                        • Jul 31, 2001

Do you have any pics or advice on removing and reinstalling the bearing races??
                        Brass punch to remove and a piece of 2X4 and the old race to install

Does the spindle (caged) bearing just come right out, or is it pressed in?
                        See above answer

Also - at pic#10 - does the axle just slide straight out (to have the U-joints replaced)?
                        Yes, be sure and vacuum out the axle tube before you re-install, they will be full of dirt. Shop vac with extensions worked for me.

.....and does anyone have a great writeup (with pics) on doing all this on a rear D44??
                        Haven't done this yet, but bearings are pressed onto axle shaft, means a trip to machine shop more than likely.
                        Todd Moon
                        78 Cherokee Chief
                        78 Chief
                        66 J-3600
                        69 J-3500
                        67 CJ-5
                        67 J-100 w/BARN DOORS

48 CJ2-A
                        cfsjc.com
                        No part of this post, written or pictured, may be re-used by any individual or organization or publication without my express written permission.
                        (Thanks, Flint!)

Comment

• Kevin718
                          258 I6
                          • Nov 22, 2003

To answer some of the questions raised and comments made:

1. When I purchased the Jeep, the rotor was scored like that and I was told it was too deep to turn. So I just could not live with the squeaking anymore and finally replaced it. It is much better.

2. Here is probably the only additional spindle picture that I have that would be of any use to you.

Picture #11:
                          This picture shows the spindle with the bearing removed.

Picture #12:
                          This is a picture of the grease seal for the spindle. The large part goes on the axle, the small part on the spindle up against the bearing, and the plastic disc inbetween.

3. The snap ring goes in the notch towards the vehicle. The purpose of the spacer, or pressure spring and spring cup if you have those, is in my opinion not only to keep the drive gear lined up with the teeth on the hub, but also to put some pressure on the spindle grease seal. It is a lip seal that must be touching the spindle to provide any kind of seal. I think that if you put the snap ring on the outer notch, then the seal may not make very good contact with the spindle. And your drive gear may want to walk around.

4. Yes, the axle can just be pulled out. I did not pull it out very far because I had not researched how to put it back in.

Picture #13:
                          This is a picture of the spindle axle pulled out a little with the grease seal removed.

5. This is how I removed my bearings:
                          Wheel Bearing Races:
                          Since the wheel bearings are tapered roller bearings, the outer race is thick enough such that it sticks up above the raised part in the middle of the hub. I took a very large screwdriver and a hammer and knocked the races out that way. Note that you can scratch/gouge the seating surface in the hub. I did this, to a minor extent, and I used a Dremel to smooth the scratch back out. I probably should have used a brass drift or something like that.

Spindle Bearing:
                          This bearing was difficult to get out. Because of the raised part of the spindle (smaller inside diameter) just past where the bearing sits, you cannot take a screwdriver from the other end and drive this bearing out. I have a three jaw puller that can have its "jaws" (hooks, whatever) rotated to grab on the outside or the inside. So I got them inside the bearing, but there was nothing for the screw to push against. I tried a piece of suspended angle iron, but the jaws just wanted to slip off. So, I took a small socket (9mm I think) and wedged it inbetween the jaws to keep them from slipping out, and then used the screw to hold it in place. Then from the other end (outer end) I could use a large socket and extension and hammer to drive out the bearing by basically hitting the socket against the jaws of the puller. But make sure you have a replacement bearing, because the outer race/shell is thin. And you can see the damaged bearing in the lower part of picture #12.

Reinstalling Bearings:
                          As for reinstalling, like Green Giant said, there is nothing better than the old bearing. The spindle bearing was easier, since it is near the end. For the races of the wheel bearings, I found that the special nut tool that I had to buy worked very well to reach down into the hub and contact the old race to drive in the new race.

Sorry for the long bearing write-up, but it took me awhile to figure out how I was going to get that spindle bearing out. I am sure there is some special tool that will do the job very easily. I just don't have it.
                          1991 Grand Wagoneer
                          360/2150/727/NP229/3.31

Comment

• Green Giant
                            360 AMC
                            • Jul 31, 2001

Sorry for the long bearing write-up, but it took me awhile to figure out how I was going to get that spindle bearing out. I am sure there is some special tool that will do the job very easily. I just don't have it.
                            There is a small slide hammer with a tiny jaw puller(pilot bearing puller)link to Puller , I was able to get a loaner from Auto-Zone for the 1st one I did, just have to put up a deposit, or in the case of my 2nd hub, just carried the hub in with me and let them pull it.
                            But I still like my brass punch and 2X4.

Northern tool has a set of 3 brass punches cheap($6.99), I just put them on a grinder when they mushroom, and replace them when they get too short. Link to Punch set
                            Todd Moon
                            78 Cherokee Chief
                            78 Chief
                            66 J-3600
                            69 J-3500
                            67 CJ-5
                            67 J-100 w/BARN DOORS

48 CJ2-A
                            cfsjc.com
                            (Thanks, Flint!)

Comment

• nograin
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 19, 2000

Brad,
                              The best way to make your write up availble into the future is cut and paste it into html and send it and the pictures to LRRH.
                              You can check with him first for details and OK. Click on his screen name which is found at the very top where it says "Moderators"
                              I'm 99% sure he's the person who can put this over on the IFSJA web site under tech.

If that's confusing, or you need help, e-mail me.
                              '85 Grand Wagoneer
                              360 727auto, NP229
                              body by beer (PO)
                              carries wood inside
                              no "wood" outside
                              My other car is a fish

Comment

Working...
                              X