• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Donzi
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 11, 2002

What springs with a 14 bolt??

I am getting ready to install my new 14 bolt and I need some adveice on what rear springs to use so I can clear the gas tank. I searched alot and found some good info but no real clear input on how this setup works out....

I have RB's shackle kit for the rear so I am thinking about flipping the mounts around and using some 63" springs. Any advice for or against this?? How much lift will I gain with stock 93' 3/4 ton burb springs??? I am currently SOA up front with stock springs and extended chevy shackles, and stock springs and a 2" block in the rear.

Thanks...I want to get it right so fill me in on all the drawbacks..
    1979 Cherokee Chief <br />360,400,1339,44,14ff,SOA,<br />Hydro assist,44044\'s, 63\" chevy rears, Dual electric fans, 35\"SX\'s on hummer rims Rhino lined interior, f/r reciever hitches, Warn 9000i<br />Edelbrock intake, truck avenger<br />Engle cam, chopped, caged
  • blt2krl
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Apr 03, 2001

I run 63in burb springs out back with RB's kit. I used the springs to move my axle back (3- 3.5 inches) and out of the way of the gas tank. I have zero interference with full cycling of the suspension. I run rancho 44044's up front which are 2.5 in lift spirngs, for the rear I run the burb springs with the overload removed. It sits perfect. So if you take out the overload you have a 2.5 inch lift spring and if you leave the overload in you would have about a 4in lift spring. This setup flexes like crazy.

Paul Hartman
    79 waggoneer
    AMC360/TH-400/203/205
    DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
    39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
    www.cbioffroadfab.com
    WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

Well, here are some pics to give you an idea of what kind of interference you'll see with the stock tank:

Just to the right of the tank, you can see the ghostly image of the QT reduction unit; on a centered-output transfer-case, that is where the output shaft would be.

Perhaps it is clearer how much interference there is from a shot straight on from the rear:

As you can see, you would have to run a ridiculous amount of lift, and a very skinny driveshaft, to ensure that nothing ever hit the gas-tank.

If you were running the stock QT case, you might get away with it.

FWIW, those are stock 5-leaf Cherokee springs. The shackle-flip and 2" extended shackles netted me about 9.5" of lift in the back with those stock springs. It's already riding kind of high in back:

I can't imagine that 4" lift springs or whatever it would take to just clear the tank with no articulation would improve the offroadability of the truck. Those 63" Suburban springs sound like just the ticket for flex, but they won't help you clear that gas-tank.

I think that's why a switch to a Bronco or Blazer tank behind the axle is the way most people go; it's simple enough to swap, and it gets rid of any chance of interference. That is, unless you move the rear axle back too far; then the pumpkin might scrape the tank. Even with mine moved back 3", it doesn't look like it's going to touch the tank.
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• The Donzi
        327 Rambler
        • Dec 11, 2002

Well, now I'm a little confused. If I run the 63" burb springs without the overload with a stock QT with offset output will I still hit the tank???? Or will I be alright??

Bob, it sounds like the interferance you are talking about is due to a centered output?? I am running a stock QT output and a stock tank...any issues with this and the 14 bolt with 63" springs or is it just a problem with a centered output??
        1979 Cherokee Chief <br />360,400,1339,44,14ff,SOA,<br />Hydro assist,44044\'s, 63\" chevy rears, Dual electric fans, 35\"SX\'s on hummer rims Rhino lined interior, f/r reciever hitches, Warn 9000i<br />Edelbrock intake, truck avenger<br />Engle cam, chopped, caged

Comment

• blt2krl
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Apr 03, 2001

Let me clarify that I run a QT transfer case and there is ZERO interference with the gas tank, driveshaft, or axle (which is a 14 bolt) with 63in bufrb springs. My drive shaft is a custom made shaft from Arizona driveshafts. It is 3in tube and .75 wall with 1350 series u-joints. If your running a centered t-case the gas tank will be in the way regardless. I'm removing my stock tank to clean the under belly up and prepare for one of those Atlas t-cases, when and if the QT goes south. Yes with RB's kit installed the way he has ment the kit to be insatlled the springs will move your axle back 3-3.5 inches and it will help clear the tank in a QT vehicle.
          Paul Hartman
          79 waggoneer
          AMC360/TH-400/203/205
          www.cbioffroadfab.com
          WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Bob Barry
            Jeep Doctor
            • Apr 09, 2000

Ah, you're both running the stock QT. Yes, then you won't have to move the tank.

I'm going to be running an NP205, and blt2krl is right on; there is no way it would work with that tank there.

I'll be putting in my dual-exhaust mufflers on each side of the driveshaft, and rigging up some kind of anti-wrap-bar in there as well, so that side will still be occupied.

How bad is your front shaft angle with the QT? I thought about trying to hook mine up, just to see if it would reach, but the angle would be severe at the pinion.
            1987 J-20
            Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• The Donzi
              327 Rambler
              • Dec 11, 2002

Blt2krl: that is some awesome flex, what did you get your rear springs out of?? Are all the 63" springs basically the same??

Thanks for the input guys...I've found that the more time I spend learnig from others the less time I spend kicking myself in the @$$ later..

Comment

• blt2krl
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Apr 03, 2001

Originally posted by The Donzi:
                Blt2krl: that is some awesome flex, what did you get your rear springs out of?? Are all the 63" springs basically the same??

Thanks for the input guys...I've found that the more time I spend learnig from others the less time I spend kicking myself in the @$$ later..
                93 half ton suburban, My front drive shaft is also an AZ drivline highangle. is has a max angle of 40 degrees.
                Paul Hartman
                79 waggoneer
                AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                www.cbioffroadfab.com
                WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• The Donzi
                  327 Rambler
                  • Dec 11, 2002

My front shaft is from Arizona Drivelines as well, I got the high angle long spline and it is pretty stout compared to stock.

Blt2krl; did you change the yoke on the QT to fit 1350?? Or are you running a conversion ujoint? I was planning on just keeping the stock rear shaft for now and using a conversion joint...any problems with doing that??

Comment

I guess all the Q's have been answered... thanks Paul..

I run my kit swapped... meaning rear brackets left to right and right to left on the 96 Burb springs I have and got 4.5" of rearward relocation... and gained about 2" of lift with the overloads trashed...FYI

I also have a custom rear CV shaft from AZ Driveline.... 1310 CV at the D20 and 1350 slip yoke at the 14FF with a 3.5" thickwall tube...

Front shaft is a high angle custom CV that I relieved myself... workin so far.. but AZD will get my wallet for the 40 degree high angle when this one frags out...

[ November 17, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: River Beast ]
                    Todd
                    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• The Donzi
                      327 Rambler
                      • Dec 11, 2002

Thanks for all the input guys... heres a pic of my new 14bolt...I know I have it on another post but I can't help it ....

Comment

• rockjeep44
                        The Advisor
                        • Oct 15, 2001

Donzi, pretty much everything has been covered but I'd like to add that there is quite a difference between the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton Chevy springs. If you plan on doing towing, hauling, etc go with the 3/4. If you plan on mostly offroading go with the 1/2 ton. The last waggy I built I used the 1/2 ton chevy pickup springs in the rear and 2.5in rancho 44044s in the front. I removed the overload from the chevy springs which made it a 3 leaf pack. I can say that they are extremely soft and very flexy and matched the front 44044s perfectly with Todd's kit. I did however have to install Todd's kit custom because the chevy springs were so long at ride height the shackle angle was almost flat it was pushed so far back. I just moved Todd's brackets further back on the frame and gusseted it with some brackets. Worked great but requires a welder, grinder, etc. Also, fuel cells are quite cheap, I'd ditch that coffin tank anyways. It makes the underside SO NICE
                        -Andrew
                        Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
                        There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
                        "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• rockjeep44
                          The Advisor
                          • Oct 15, 2001

finished product:

[ November 17, 2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: rockjeep44 ]
                          Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
                          There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
                          "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• blt2krl
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Apr 03, 2001

Originally posted by The Donzi:

Blt2krl; did you change the yoke on the QT to fit 1350?? Or are you running a conversion ujoint? I was planning on just keeping the stock rear shaft for now and using a conversion joint...any problems with doing that??
                            I have a 1350 series yoke on my QT. You could use a conversion joint. I personally decided to go the other route. I have one extra yoke if ya want to buy it. I know that AZ sells them for about $140, i bought two for $130. I would sell it to ya for $65 + shipping. It is a dana 20 yoke, 10 spline. PM if ya want the details on the swap and install.
                            Paul Hartman
                            79 waggoneer
                            AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                            www.cbioffroadfab.com
                            WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Zorm
                              304 AMC
                              • Apr 08, 1997

Hey Bob, on your corp 14, di you need to remove the GM spring perches? I have a 14 bolt that I am putting under my 83 Chero. Right now I have the AMC 20 in the rear and it is centered diff, Do any one know if I would run into the tank interferance this also??
                              Donzi, did you paint that or get it painted??
                              83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X