• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

July 11-13, 2007 ~ Ouray FSJ Invasion

1/2/07 UPDATE

July 11, 12 & 13 - Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for trail runs. Be in Ouray by Tuesday to catch runs beginning Wednesday. This will work best for folks with kids in school. We are still on for folks dropping in our home in Mancos, CO on July 9 & 10 with at least one local Mancos trail ride on Monday the 9th.

NOTE: There is at least one requirement we make for those who join us for the trail rides. You must have a low range transfer case on your vehicle. We take absolutely no responsibility for anyone who ventures to the mountain trails without a low range transfer case in their vehicle.

For 2007, we invade the San Juan Mountains with our FSJs all over again! Please plan to be in Ouray by Tuesday evening (July 10). We will be trail riding Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. There is the option stay another day and get together for a ride on Saturday as well. The socially acceptable FSJ place to camp is at the Ouray KOA. All sites are now open to all who call. Krista and I have site 47A reserved again this year. We are also holding site 47D in our name . 47D is the social gathering place for camp fire meetings. Anyone who wants 47D can contact us.

Since we are not sure how long everyone might be able to stay, be sure and let KOA know which day you plan to depart. It is pretty laid back in the back by the aspens and only a short walk to the bathroom and showers. You are responsible to get and pay for your sites if you stay at the KOA or anywhere else. The best bet is to determine if you can make it to the 2007 Ouray FSJ Invasion and reserve early. Please remember: if you cancel less than 48 hours before your arrival date, you pay Dave for at least two nights any way. There is a change in reservations for 2007. They will charge your credit card for 1 night for each reservation you make. You bill with KOA is your responsibility. Here is the KOA web site: OURAY KOA You can reserve a site by the Internet HERE, by email to Dave or call 1-800-KOA-8026. Dave and Deborah spend the winter in Florida and will be leaving Ouray by the end of October until next Spring. They can take your reservations from where ever they are, but it may take a couple to a few days to make your connection once he has left for Florida. Please be patient. Reserved sites are shown with an asterisk on the map below.

Here is a link to other lodging options. Note: Discounts mentioned at that link only applied to the 2002 Ouray FSJ Invasion.

More info on the unofficial web site here:
    2007 Ouray FSJ Invasion

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by fulsizjeep; 01-02-2007, 11:30 AM.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
  • RiverRat
    327 Rambler
    • Aug 09, 2006

Yep, I have the problem/ complaint that I won't be there. Has to be the week before!!! I vote for July 11,12,13. But I know that it can't be planned to fit everyone's schedule... and we will not likely be driving an FSJ this time, either (so why am I on this site, you ask??). So to be fair, it's not up to me. Just wanted to express my unhappiness with not being able to go, I really had a good time this year. Great people, great scenery, what more could you ask for? Maybe in 2008? I vote to keep it in Ouray, always. Unless someone shows me prettier pictures than the ones I have... and a better time than I had, too! How bout Hawaii wheelin'??? Sure, we can drive there!
    BethAnn

Project CHOP TOP Tornado Jeep for Ouray 2013
    (I'm not dead yet!)

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

I think we could be talked into the week before. Ralph was interested in the week before. The floor is open for discussion on the week before. Did I say we could manage the week before?
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods

Comment

• ColeTrickle
        360 AMC
        • Nov 13, 2000

Flint, will there be any single women around the stables to hang my hat on? I could use a human female co-pilot this year in and around Colorado. I seem to be in a better mood driving on those long, dusty, bumpy Colorado roads. Come on, help a fellow Texan out!!!

See you in Mancos in '07
        J-trucks with Brows RULE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ColeTrickle
          Flint, will there be any single women around the stables to hang my hat on? I could use a human female co-pilot this year in and around Colorado. I seem to be in a better mood driving on those long, dusty, bumpy Colorado roads. Come on, help a fellow Texan out!!!

See you in Mancos in '07
          Kenny, hon..... seems to me you got to make it across the colorado state line before you can get a "co-pilot".
          Krista - High Priestess of Our Lady of Eternal Combustion
          77 401 Wag "Phoebe" ~ 77 401 J20 "Artemis" ~ 76 401 SOA Wag "Luna"
          The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...

Comment

• Ralph Rogers
            350 Buick
            • Jul 29, 2003

I wouldn't mind it being a week earlier like 2 years ago. Emily started school the day after we got back this year.
            But as long as it is NO LATER than those dates I will be there.
            Already looking forward to it again my friends.
            Ralph

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

Given enough advance warning I will make it any time in July. Flint, I would love to show up a day or two early and hang at the place with ya. Last years trip seemed too short.
              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                Señor Jackhead
                • Aug 21, 2002

So, I wonder if we move this back to July 11-13 if the newlyweds would show up again? That would be cool. I also hear your concerns Ralph. The reason we moved it back a week this last summer (yes, it is now Autumn) is because some passes were still closed the second week of July in 05.

<here I start wandering around a bit>
                SJ has made a good point in another thread that we do this during the monsoon season and subsequently get rained on and a few lightning bolts thrown at us, not to mention roads washing out like coming down off Imogene this year. Really, the end of August and early September is nice for mountain rides here. But not practical for families with kids that would be travelling a day or more to get here.

The big Invasion in 02 was held the 2nd week of August. The recon missions in 00 and 01 were held over Labor Day. I think the 99 recon was too. The weather then was warm and dry. Some folks saw snow flurries on Imogene in 01. Hard to guage all this with changing weather patterns because we were in serious drought conditions 00 through 02. The weather on those trips was uneventful and mostly dry. Since 02, we have been doing this the 2nd or 3rd week of July so folks with school aged kids could make the trip. In 03 we had a little more moisture and better display of flowers. For 04, 05 and 06, we have had fair amount of rain during the Invasion. Who knows what next year will be like?

I think we need to seriously consider getting on the trails earlier in the day to avoid bad weather like this year. We typically shoot the bull and mess around until 10 or 11 to hit the trails. I am not pointing fingers because I am guilty too. The monsoon rains start building after noon and we get caught in the squalls. We could just as easily hit the road at 8 and be off most the trails by 2 or 3. Then we can do socializing in the afternoons and brag about what we did or broke that day. Just a thought...
                <end the wandering>

So, what say ye on July 11-13 for 07?
                Flint
                Ran when parked.

Comment

• ColeTrickle
                  360 AMC
                  • Nov 13, 2000

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                  Kenny, hon..... seems to me you got to make it across the colorado state line before you can get a "co-pilot".
                  Ummm...I've made it across the line a few times. I just like to have a different co-pilot for different area codes, city limits, zip codes, etc.
                  I can keep them straight that way.

On a serious note, I prefer the way we had it in '02. I don't like the rain and I hate sitting on top of the mountain with lightning all around. Those monsson rains in '04 totally sucked! How long did we have to wait that year for the rains to end and get back on the trail?

How about a poll to see how many families are "all in" this early in the game. That will give us some understanding on "why" where starting so early....Again, didn't I mention the rain sucks on top of the mountain?
                  J-trucks with Brows RULE!!!

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

OK - closing polls early. Now. I am setting the date so we can just get on with it.

July 11, 12 & 13 - Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for trail runs. Be in Ouray by Tuesday to catch runs beginning Wednesday. This will work best for folks with kids in school. We are still on for folks dropping in here July 9 & 10 with at least one local Mancos trail ride on Monday the 9th.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.

Comment

• BRUTUS
                      360 AMC
                      • Dec 06, 2005

FWIW, my company's slow time is during the entire summer. So as long as I know when... the time doesn't matter to me. I like the rain.. I like the lightning... I like the thunder... I like the sunshine and I love FSJ's!

EDIT: Sorry I missed the poll... my vote would have been for "EITHER, I AM GOING"
                      Last edited by BRUTUS; 09-28-2006, 09:34 AM.
                      "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
                      Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
                      Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• badaboom
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jun 05, 2001

Ummm...I've made it across the line a few times. I just like to have a different co-pilot for different area codes, city limits, zip codes, etc. I can keep them straight that way
                        Long Kiss Good Night

"I like to be Frank and Earnest with my women. I'm Frank in Detroit and Earnest when I'm in Ouray"
                        1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• RiverRat
                          327 Rambler
                          • Aug 09, 2006

WOO HOO!
                          BethAnn

Project CHOP TOP Tornado Jeep for Ouray 2013
                          (I'm not dead yet!)

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                            Señor Jackhead
                            • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by RiverRat
                            WOO HOO!
                            So y'all come on back now, hear?!
                            Flint
                            Ran when parked.

Comment

• Jeep4myBoys
                              350 Buick
                              • Jul 23, 2006

I'll plan on being there - if I can get a trailer by then we might even bring my buddies 79 cherokee as well.
                              Timothy
                              -------
                              It's for my twin boys Sure, they're only 1 year old, but it's all for them!

Daily Driver: 04 F350 6.0 CC LB FX4 Lariat

Jeep: 88 GW 360/727/229, Rusty's 4", 33" tires, Holley TA, TFI **Razor**

Comment

Working...
                              X