• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • War Wagon
    350 Buick
    • Feb 26, 2002

Workday/Trail Ride turns into a Wrench-O-Thon then all out Cluster

The Carolina Full Size Jeep club held a workday/trail ride at Uwharrie National Forest on our adopted trail Dicke Bell over the weekend. Members came to camp and work on the trails starting Saturday morning. One member, ARouser (Andrew) brought out his just finished Cherokee Cheif for it's first trip on the trails after months of work. As with most new rigs there are bugs to work out and ARouser did have a few with his rig this weekend. It started out with an issue with the torque converter bolts but that was taken care of and off to the trails we went. We stopped at the trail head to lock the hubs and air down and ARouser's rig died. It acted like the starter was bad at first but then found out that the motor had locked up for some reason. They towed ARouser rig back to camp and we went ahead with the work on the trail. When we got back to camp ARouser had found that the air cleanner stud jam nut had got into the carb and into the engine and was dancing around in #4 cylinder, locking up the engine. ARouser really wanted to wheel this weekend so off to my house we go to pull the head and see just how bad the damage was. Here are pictures from this adventure.

We started work at around 7:00 PM Saturday and finished at 1:44 AM Sunday morning. The damage was not too bad so we cleanned everthing up and put it back together. I did not go down Sunday but Andrew had brake problems most of the day but the correct parts were found and the problem was fixed. Andrew hit the trails and here are the results.

First time out with the rig... we had a few problems

Talk about a shake down run,but Andrew did get to wheel his rig. You got to hand it to him, he never gave up.
    Last edited by War Wagon; 07-22-2009, 04:55 AM.
    I may not be good but I am good at it.

78 Wagoneer "The War Wagon"
    81 J10 Truggy "The War Buggy"
    83 J10 Sport Side
    CFSJC Uwharrie Rep.
    07 JK 2dr Rubicon
    09 JK Unlimited Rubicon
  • FSJ-Jackson
    232 I6
    • Apr 12, 2002

bummer on the engine damage, I had a 1/4 inch bolt get in my #2 cyl of my old 360 before I bought my J10. It broke a chunk off of the top ring land, the engine ran good despite that. I pulled the heads off to freshen it up and no metal chunks were left in the cylinder. I upgraded to a 401
    Last edited by FSJ-Jackson; 07-23-2009, 04:59 PM.
    1974_J10 and a bunch of parts sitting around
    built 401 with 460ish HP at the flywheel
    soon to be sm465 & divorced NP205
    Rockwells_16r20 Michelin XZL's
    Still lots to do and $ to spend

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo
    258/727/229
    d44/AMC20 3.31
    Saw this jem at the Pic-n-pull and bought it for $600 on the spot.

Comment

• shackwrrr
      360 AMC
      • Mar 04, 2006

someone else here lost an engine to an air cleaner jam nut
      Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• The PIG Smith
        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

There is a fellow I work that has a cherry Chevy street truck, 2WD, short step side bed...nice.
        He was installing a hot 355 (350 bored .030 over) and was breaking in the cam.
        He had just finished and was installing the air cleaner when the wing nut fell into the running engine.
        It messed up the piston bad...I think it may have scarred the cylinder wall as well.
        He had to pull the motor and almost start over.
        Sad.
        Bryan Smith
        2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
        - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
        1986 Jeep J20
        - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
        1982 Jeep J10
        - Has become a Long Term Project.
        1981 Jeep J20
        - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
        - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
        ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
        Originally posted by Lindel
        Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Casey
          • Oct 08, 2003

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
          There is a fellow I work that has a cherry Chevy street truck, 2WD, short step side bed...nice.
          He was installing a hot 355 (350 bored .030 over) and was breaking in the cam.
          He had just finished and was installing the air cleaner when the wing nut fell into the running engine.
          It messed up the piston bad...I think it may have scarred the cylinder wall as well.
          He had to pull the motor and almost start over.
          Sad.
          Just goes to show that anything can happen. Andrew is pretty sharp, he's been an FSJer his whole life...growing up with FSJnut for a dad.

He's built race cars and all kinds of engines/cars etc...

The Marines got lucky when they got Andrew and Josh, those two never give up, even when 'Murphy' is kicking them in the crotch.
          1994 YJ
          1986 Comanche
          '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
          www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
          "Go forth and be a tool".
          Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
          This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• newtojeeps
            350 Buick
            • Jun 28, 2006

All I can say is ouch,

Comment

Working...
            X