• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wlkr350
    232 I6
    • Feb 18, 2016

1982 Wagoneer Brougham restoration

Purchased 82 Wagoneer Brougham back in early December just getting started with the resto. Got the door panels done.

Door panels were faded so I dyed them.
    Last edited by Wlkr350; 03-02-2016, 02:01 PM.
    1984 CJ7 (restored)
    1982 Wagoneer Brougham (current project)
  • toddthewelder
    258 I6
    • Dec 30, 2010

They look good, what did you use?
    80 cj 5
    87 GW
    Another 87 GW
    88 GW
    99 Wrangler
    07 Dodge 3500
    67 Chevy SWB
    2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• Wlkr350
      232 I6
      • Feb 18, 2016

SEM plastic/vinyl coating

I have had good results from SEM brand. It's a plastic and vinyl coating similar to paint but a lot like the consistency of water. Sprays on with a basic hvlp paint sprayer. Prep is the key. I use a mild degreaser called "Awesome" diluted 50:50 with water and a hard bristle brush to clean the vinyl. Rinse then repeat 50:50 mix and scrub with a gray scotch bright pad. Let dry thoroughly then go over panel with 91% rubbing alcohol and a clean microfiber towel. Let dry thoroughly then spray the first SEM coat only lightly. After 5 min repeat but this time go with a med coat. Then the last heavy coat can go on in about 10 min. It's a little time consuming but when done right will look good as new. SEM has many colors available in an aerosol can but my local supplier did not have the color (nutmeg) on hand. They were able to mix me a quart of the right color. A little pricey at $65.00 but was enough to do all four door panels plus the rear cargo area panels as well as the steering column. Yes, you can use the SEM on metal as well. I've done it several times and it has held up nicely on metal surfaces....prep is the key!
      1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• toddthewelder
        258 I6
        • Dec 30, 2010

Sweet! thanks for the info, you did one heck of a good job
        80 cj 5
        87 GW
        Another 87 GW
        88 GW
        99 Wrangler
        07 Dodge 3500
        67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Yes, beautiful work! All that prep paid off. They look just super.
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra
          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Wlkr350
            232 I6
            • Feb 18, 2016

Headliner installed

Got the headliner installed as well. Was going to purchase the headliner from team grand wagoneer for the color match but at the price of around $100 I looked elsewhere. I went to a local upholstery shop and picked up a close color match for $35 that they had on hand. Cleaned up the old/warped headliner board and wet it down with water a few days before install date. Laid it out on the floor and sandwiched it under a piece of plywood to dry out for a few days. Took the plywood up and the warped headliner board was nice and flat. Sprayed on some 3M headliner adhesive (red can) and carefully laid the headliner material down on the board. Turned out nice I think! Not a perfect color match but a lot better than what I had originally. Here's a pic:
            1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• ProTouring442
              327 Rambler
              • Mar 15, 2011

Lookin' good!
              You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• toddthewelder
                258 I6
                • Dec 30, 2010

Rock on man! looks good
                80 cj 5
                87 GW
                Another 87 GW
                88 GW
                99 Wrangler
                07 Dodge 3500
                67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• Wlkr350
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 18, 2016

Rats!

Found this when I pulled my center arm rest out...rat nest :I Not sure where the rat went but his home has been destroyed. With all the unused space under the stock arm rest, I was thinking of a way to make a concealed compartment for a firearm or wallet to be put in when I go to the gym. Anybody have any ideas? Was thinking some sort of door on the front side of the arm rest over top of the transmission hump. Would have to block it off about halfway back I think to prevent items from sliding all the way back to the back of the arm rest.
                  1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• Wlkr350
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 18, 2016

Carpet samples arrived!

Here are the choices: top left is 820 saddle, top right is 4640 dark saddle, bottom left 8296 nutmeg, and bottom right 1054A caramel. I'm pretty sure that nutmeg is the stock color my Waggy came with so probably going to stick with that with the mass backing option added. All of the samples are in standard cut pile but the caramel is in essex. The essex is a little thicker and more tight woven but there's not a big difference in general appearance. The bottom photo has a cut pile sample on the left and the essex on the right to show the comparison on thickness if any of yall needed the pic. Even though the essex is a bit nicer, I'm not sure it is worth the extra $160. Any of yall have any experience with the essex carpet?...likes/dislikes??

1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• Wlkr350
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 18, 2016

New to me engine

Went by the mechanic shop to check on the progress of the stroker motor. Old 4.2 is out and breaking the 4.0 down for rebuild and machine work. The 4.0 came out of a 95XJ and supposedly has 250K miles on it. Still checks out ok for a rebuild so far. Just needs a good cleaning!

Old is out.....

4.0 block just hanging around....
                      1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• Wlkr350
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 18, 2016

Posted this earlier in another thread asking questions in regards to anyone having knowledge of this brand of compressor. Figured I would add this to my build thread as well.
                        Picked up a new to me compressor today for the house. This will be a great help in my restoration projects as my smaller compressor just doesn't have enough cfm's to run my hvlp paint gun and air tools efficiently. Constantly having to wait for the tank to build pressure back up in order to keep working. This unit is a devilbiss 6hp 60 gal that should keep up with all my tools without the waiting. Ended up paying $280 for it when he was asking $300. Think I did ok but only time will tell.
                        Last edited by Wlkr350; 03-13-2016, 12:58 PM.
                        1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• Wlkr350
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 18, 2016

I think I may have posted this in a different thread but wanted to add it to my build thread. Sorry for being repetitive if you have seen this already. Got the brougham trim off and attempted to refurnish it. The fake chrome tape stuff on top and bottom of the trim was all but nonexistent. The wood grain was faded out and the protective coating was flaking off. Cleaned all the old coating off, lightly scuffed with gray scotch bright pad, and put a few coats of automotive clear over it. Then bought some chrome looking vinyl stuff online and cut it in strips for the top and bottom. Put 3M trim adhesive tape on the back of the trim so its ready for install once I get the jeep back from motor shop. Turned out pretty well. Not sure how durable it will be but looks a lot better
                          Last edited by Wlkr350; 03-16-2016, 02:56 PM.
                          1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                            Shakes hands with danger
                            • Jul 01, 2012

That looks great. I was wondering how to refinish some of the cheesy, flaking, peeling chromed plastic on my own truck. Where did you find that chrome tape?

SEM products are fantastic. I've used them for ... wow, over twenty years. With proper prep and cleaning, they always seem to produce miracles.
                            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Wlkr350
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 18, 2016

Chrome colored vinyl wrap

It's a sheet chrome colored vinyl wrap. I'll post a link to where I got it below. I can't attest to the durability of the stuff as this is the first time I've used it but the application is pretty simple. With a little practice it can be heated with a heat gun or hair dryer and stretched/formed around curved surfaces. The sheet I purchased was 36" X 60" and about $16 with free shipping. I cant take credit for this idea as I saw someone else on this forum did a similar thing....just cant remember who it was. Here's the link...

Vinyl Wrap. Sticker Bomb. Automotive Vinyl Wrap Film. Type of film: Hybrid vinyl film with air channels (Designed for vehicle exterior with prefect paint condition). This vinyl is designed for vehicle exterior wrap use ONLY.
                              1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X