International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 09-27-2018, 07:54 AM
327 Rambler

Good work on getting the first start in! Bummer to hear about SMS though. They are (were?) the company I was going to use to get my door panels done.

If you haven't figured out the .pdf thing yet, you can send to me and I'll see if I can convert it to a .jpg for you. Or, I think you can still upload the .pdf to photobucket and just post the link for folks to click on.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:42 AM
350 Buick

I suppose it's too late for the credit card company to get involved?

Where's the carpet from?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:20 AM
232 I6

Its a beautiful thing you've accomplished Al....you should be proud.
1976 J10 401
Old 09-27-2018, 03:50 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Good work on getting the first start in! Bummer to hear about SMS though. They are (were?) the company I was going to use to get my door panels done.

If you haven't figured out the .pdf thing yet, you can send to me and I'll see if I can convert it to a .jpg for you. Or, I think you can still upload the .pdf to photobucket and just post the link for folks to click on.

Got your PM thank you. I took some pictures and posted in tech.

Make sure the SMS is the same one. There are two of them. This SMS Auto Fabrics is in Oregon. The other is back east somewhere. I absolutely would not use the SMS in Oregon. They are beyond rotten. They immediately took 600 dollars from Bills card and left the box I sent unopened for 6 solid months. At the 6 month mark I discovered they had run the card. I had just returned from picking up Sadies completely rebuilt Buick 350 from the engine builder. It costs 4500 dollars and took his car account below SMS's 1500 dollar quote. I emailed them (after discovering 600 missing) and said I had just picked up the engine, I wanted to ask what was the satus of the order was and explained that I had picked up the engine and I needed 5 days to get another check for the account in case they ran the card for the seats that were not even started. They ran the card the same day after my email which came up insufficient funds and sent me a really nasty email back. Absolutely unreal after my email. That evening Bill and I discovered the ton of negative reviews. They were bad and a lot of them. I emailed them back and explained my customer wanted his seat covers back and wanted to find someone that could finish them in a timely manner. They refused and would not give back our property. They also would not give us a completion date. We were over a barrel. Two days goes by and I suddenly start getting emails from the owner Doug Pollock and his arguments he is having with multiple different customers. With Doug's comments tacked on saying "these people are idiots, I am the only one with the material they want" bla bla bla.... I was stunned at even getting them when they had nothing to do with me. Then about three weeks later I get the box with Sadies new seat covers. They kept Bills old covers and refused to send them. They got thrown away.... yea right.
This company is morally bankrupt. The staff responds with grade school level spite and they still remain in business. They could be an outstanding establishment. But they choose to literally steal peoples money and then say tough when you ask for a solution.

Remaining silent after such horrendous treatment only enables them to continue on and keep doing it to other car enthusiast's. I do plan on a detailed review and encourage Bill to do the very same.

So Brad, if it is the same company, search the bad reviews and see what happened to another guy on his incorrect door panels. SMS Auto Fabrics will laugh all the way to the bank.

SJTD, the carpet came from Stock interiors, Auto custom carpets INC. Anniston Alabama Something there does not sound right. But that is what the box says.

I should inquire with the VISA folks. We don't want to have to give back what we have for seat covers. The easiest path forward is to fix the front cover.

Thank you Levelhead. It will be an interesting day to see Sadie leave my shop. I have grown attached...

And Thanks Brad and Frank Z. I posted pictures of the wiring diagram in tech. You guys are great.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 09-27-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:41 PM
304 AMC

Well I found a great solution and easy fix for Sadies front seat problem.

OK just kidding. But it sure works for the moment.

I have about an hour or so left insulating the new shop addition. I ran out of insulation today. This insulating has reminded me of Bill and I under my dads home not even a year ago trying to repair all the sea otter damage so I could sell his home. Laying in poop and sweating like crazy putting insulation back in dads floor. UGH so glad that is done. And Bill you are one heck of a friend to help me with such a gross and smelly job. Ah, the good times....

Well knowing the 70+ degree days are coming to an end here, I spent some time working the later half of the day on the rear seat pan. It was pretty beat up. Just a few dents on the sheet metal, I worked them out with a body hammer and 2 different dolly's.

I decided not to sand blast it till I can make a better sand blasting area. It got everywhere last time and was kind of a pain. So I sanded and cleaned to get the major rust off the inside and out. There was some pretty bad pitting but none through to make a hole. It was not far from it though.

After cleanup and straightening the metal, I had some left over rust bullet paint and coated the interior where it will not show with a heavy coat of silver. Rust Bullet is only OK in my book. It did not do as well as I hoped in a full winter under car test with Idaho road salt and grime. I tie wrapped three pieces of steel under my wifes car with several types of paint on them.
Rust bullet was one of them. But inside a vehicle it should last the life of the car. I will top coat it with urethane chassis black when I paint the whole thing.

And then the side that shows. I put a glazing putty on the bottom to get rid of the pitting. If Bill ever flips up the rear seat this will look semi decent. I was going to skip all these steps, but decided to go ahead and make it look better. I will be glad in the long run.

And I am getting ready for a trip to Spokane for more insulation and I am taking the seat cover to try and match the black vinyl and ask the store if they know a really good upholsterer that can fix the front seat back that SMS Auto Fabrics left us hanging with. I will also stop 3 blocks down to the sewing shop that repaired my blue industrial singer machine. They might know someone also. I hesitate to tackle that repair since I don't have a lot of time on the machines. I do plan on two headliners as soon as the new room is done and maybe I will be confident about it by then.

Back on the new addition but more on sadie soon. I still have a lot to catch up with before snow flies. But I will multitask.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 09-30-2018, 06:55 PM
350 Buick

You can have this seat. It wold look authentic in Sadie. And way more comfy than that milk crate.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:01 PM
304 AMC

Holy cow!! Are those NOS pine needles?! Thats awesome and perfect... I'll take it!

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 09-30-2018, 07:12 PM
350 Buick

There is also a NOS pine cone propping up the seat. Bet you a herd of Feisty Otters you don't have one of those!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:03 AM
304 AMC

Nope, no fancy shmancy NOS pine cones. But I have heard of them and have only seen pictures.

Nothing better than a good laugh in this all to serious world.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 10-01-2018, 01:50 PM
258 I6

kaiserjeeps,....

only yard debris and a foot of water under the house
but it was an easy fix.

i agree, many were devistated by the storm.

thanx for asking,.....

keep up the good work.

dave in NC
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-02-2018, 10:54 AM
304 AMC

Glad to hear it was minimal Dave. Some people will never recover from it. Then Indonesia and the tsunami. The wife and I watched the video of it mowing down the coast line. Wow... Mother nature always wins. We have a high wind and rain storm coming in this afternoon. Trees fall over here if a deer passes wind within a hundred feet. Gas up the generator.

Couple more days on the new shop addition. I am hoping to be done and painted by a week from today. Then move a bunch of stuff. And get some more work in on Sadie.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 10-05-2018, 09:35 PM
304 AMC

Good news all the way around today. I am a day from being completely done with the new shop space. It's painted and getting outlets and lights and it is finished. And after getting delayed for a few days I made the trip into Spokane today with Sadies front seat back that was made to short. On the way there I made a huge score by finding a razor grill on Craigs List that looked to be in really good condition for a very reasonable price. Turns out it was a grill that sat in a guys attic for decades and was never installed on any jeep!! It is in fantastic condition and I bought it immediately. Not one rock chip or road blemish anywhere!

My next stop was Royal fabrics. I keep calling them Vaughn. Not sure why. It's Royal... I spent a bit of time at Royal fabrics with Sadies seat cover looking for the exact match black vinyl. I found it and brought it to the front counter. When they asked me what happened, I explained the story about SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby Oregon (full name printed to spare the other SMS of any type of a bad rep) and they told me that they had heard of several people that have had a lot of problems with SMS. They seemed very understanding after I told them Bill paid 1500 (at my urging) for something that did not fit. Their upholsterer guy came out and took a look. Normally most shops have a policy not to rework someone elses work for various reasons. They offered to alter the seat back for a very reasonable price. SweeeT!!
I picked up some supplies and went through all the displays of embossed foam backed vinyl for door panels and other ideas. I even found a unique specific embossed vinyl pattern Bkilby was looking for his jeep door panels. This is why I added a new small clean space to work in at home. I cannot wait to get into some interior stuff away from all the dirt and metal work. I really enjoy the metal work. But this type of work also intrigues me greatly.

So with a great big feeling of relief that a seat solution was found, I made my next stop at the chrome shop "Restoration Plating" to drop off the 4 chrome trim pieces that go on the tailgate above and below the ribbed panels I made. The upper and lower trim pieces just don't look good even cleaned up. Sitting just inches away from the stunning bumpers, they really needed a rechrome job. Jay and his crew do the best work I have found yet.
They want me to send them a picture of Sadie and the chrome work they did. Maybe we can make their wall of pictures.

More soon with pictures. It was a productive good day despite what seemed like endless hours on the road. Things are moving along. The first snow fell on the hill next to us Tuesday. it was 19 degrees here this morning. I wonder how many feet we will get this year. Who cares. I love where I live now.

More soon.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 10-05-2018 at 09:51 PM.