• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Instrument Panel Wiring

I'm cleaning up the harness under the dash, getting rid up stuff I don't need.

Going to have a new instrument panel and trying to think up all the wires that'll have to go to it. So far I've come up with:

12V
    Ground
    Turn Signal Indicators
    High Beam
    Parking Brake
    Gauge Lights
    Fuel Level
    4WD

What am I missing?
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
  • Heep-J4000
    350 Buick
    • Feb 09, 2014

Originally posted by SJTD
    I'm cleaning up the harness under the dash, getting rid up stuff I don't need.

Going to have a new instrument panel and trying to think up all the wires that'll have to go to it. So far I've come up with:

12V
    Ground
    Turn Signal Indicators
    High Beam
    Parking Brake
    Gauge Lights
    Fuel Level
    4WD

What am I missing?
    Oil pressure signal light
    Or maybe you go for a mechanical oil pressure gauge!?
    Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
    73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
    80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
    70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
    85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
    83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

I am putting in gauges but it would be good to have oil pr and water temp lights as backups.

Thanks.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• 67GMC
        232 I6
        • Mar 13, 2016

On my '84, there's both an oil pressure sender and oil pressure switch already installed. The oil pressure switch was used for the choke heater I believe but it's basically a switch at the end of the day.
        My Stable:
        1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
        2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
        2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
        2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
        1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
        1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• SJTD
          304 AMC
          • Apr 26, 2012

Everything forward of the firewall is gone and original instrument panel is gone so only stuff I want will be installed.
          Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• 67GMC
            232 I6
            • Mar 13, 2016

The harness still has the wires for the OP switch and sender so just giving you the idea it can be re-used. They're just wires so can be traced back to bulkhead connector and then to the IP and can be re-purposed or put back.

There's also the seat belt warning light on the IP. That light stays on until the timer times out. The timer is a small silver cylinder on the harness under the dash close to the inside fire wall. I think it has three pins on it kind of like a relay.
            My Stable:

Comment

• SJTD
              304 AMC
              • Apr 26, 2012

Thanks. I am using the existing OP and the existing water temp gauge wire for the idiot lights.

Removed the seatbelt/lights/key/whatever nanny buzzer timer and associated wiring. It's the blue box mounted to the fuse panel.

I'd like to slap the guy in charge of doing the wiring diagram in the factory manual.

Where I come from a component is shown once on a diagram and if a wire from another area of diagram goes to it you either draw it in or use a flag. This thing shows some components two or three, maybe four times. Wire junctions repeated multiple times. Some components but not all in the index. Pinouts on some connectors up front, some on the face of the drawing.

Very difficult to follow. I've spent hours going through it.
              Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• 67GMC
                232 I6
                • Mar 13, 2016

Yes-the wiring diagrams are a chore. The 84 diagrams look like they were hand drawn while riding in the back of a school bus.

The seatbelt light timer relay is different than the key / lights-on buzzer module. The timer is not shown on my wiring diagram at all. The buzzer is mounted on the fuse panel. If you pull the harness out, the timer is really close to the bulkhead fitting

Some years have better diagrams and there wasn't a lot changed from year to year so you can sometimes use the older ones to figure out. The '76 diagrams show what the end connectors look like which is really handy when you have lots of wires and can't remember where they go.
                My Stable:

Comment

Working...
                X