• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

At my gas station they sell 100 octane pump gas

I have a centrex gas station near me, they only sell no ethanol fuel, both regular and premium, imagine my surprise today - new pumps with a new blue hose, 100 octane racing gas AT THE PUMP

The odd thing is you are not allowed to pump it in to your rig directly - you must put it in approved containers and then do what you wish with it.....wonder why?
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

That is awesome. I'd immediately change the tune on my twin turbo 535xi wagon to up the boost and drive like an even bigger idiot!
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

The highest octane we can get in CA is about 14. But at least we pay $3 more per gallon for our crappy gas.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

i think you mean 94?....... 14 would be Budweiser filtered thru a cat
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

There are many stations that sell 100 octane. You should be able to pump unleaded fuel. Apparently many stations sell leaded 100 octane, which would be legal for racing only. Bring your barrel/cans whatever.

I recall driving past the Arroyo Parkway 76 at the end of the Pasadena freeway dozens of times, and them having 100 octane. Spensive.

Sources for Unleaded Racing Fuel at the Pump in California and Las Vegas area. Obviously not for every car enthusiast, but a select group only.
          Last edited by tgreese; 08-09-2020, 09:29 AM.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

the race gas by me is leaded. my old BSA 441 and 500 singles loved that stuff.
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Driftwood
              350 Buick
              • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by Tripwire
              i think you mean 94?....... 14 would be Budweiser filtered thru a cat
              I just use dead cats and save the Bud for myself.
              1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

How much does 100 Race gas cost per gal? I wonder if it would be affordable as a mix to bump up the octane on a Daily driver.

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rocklaurence
                  How much does 100 Race gas cost per gal? I wonder if it would be affordable as a mix to bump up the octane on a Daily driver.
                  Varies by brand, and locality. Here it is stupid expensive but in an area where gas isn't taxed as badly it probably isn't too bad.

I don't really see the reasoning in mixing fuels in an attempt to bump the octane? Just run higher octane if you wish.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

This is from that station in Pasadena CA. Unleaded, no restrictions. It's an expensive location already - convenient to the highway, upscale community - with prices well above neighboring stations. Roughly double the price of premium pump gas for racing fuel.

Tetraethyl lead is added to gasoline to raise the octane rating, so I'd guess its addition helps reach 100 octane. Aviation gas is high octane leaded fuel. Getting to 100 octane without lead is likely expensive.
                    Last edited by tgreese; 08-12-2020, 12:55 PM.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Only couple "legal" 100 Octane blends in CA...seriously doubt leaded is legal for sale @pump?
                      And as stated and now shown stupid expensive.

E85 is cheap!! Many guys go that route now in CA.
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by babywag
                        Only couple "legal" 100 Octane blends in CA...seriously doubt leaded is legal for sale @pump?
                        And as stated and now shown stupid expensive.

E85 is cheap!! Many guys go that route now in CA.
                        I'm sure you cannot get leaded at the pump unless it's for an airplane or into cans for "racing." The station in Pasadena sells unleaded racing fuel.

Was curious, and looked for avgas prices at local airports. It ranges from ca $4 to $8 depending on which airport. If you wanted to bring your cans and fill them, you'd have to scout the location and see if they were willing to sell into "approved" containers.

Prices for pump gas are fairly low here ... shop around and you can get under $2 for regular, and premium is ca $2.50. Up to 10% "cosolvent" (alcohol).
                        Tim Reese

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Another reason not to live in Ca. Gas is $2.07 in Fl. Most of the West coast is up around $4 per gallon

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Nah, it's not quite that high. I paid $3.47 for 91 octane this morning in the middle of Ventura County. I find we are usually about 25-50% higher than NV, AZ, and ID (the places I roadtrip to fairly commonly). I try to plan my road trips so I am on fumes at the first Costco Gas station as I cross out of CA and top off just before we come in so I watch the prices pretty closely.

2 weeks ago, I paid $2.05 for 87 Octane in Twin Falls ID as I turned in my rental car and $2.94 just outside LAX the same day as we left the airport headed home. That's about 42% more and generally jives.

As a wise man once said: Another reason not to live in Ca.
                            Last edited by rang-a-stang; 08-14-2020, 09:49 AM.
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• tgreese
                              • May 29, 2003

That picture of the pump is old, from the Yelp website.
                              Tim Reese

Comment

Working...
                              X