• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blazer3664
    350 Buick
    • Mar 08, 2009

My new rig

Not a new member, but just got a new FSJ.
    Retiring Butt Ugly (my 78) since I have found too much rust in the frame, and body for my liking.
    Replacing it with a '81 Chief. Removable top, customized oversize flares, and more.

Anyway here is my replacement......

and

and in front of the one its replacing...

More later as I get my drive-line under it.

Jim
    Last edited by blazer3664; 03-10-2016, 01:05 AM.
    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
    custom shackle flip
    W/F150 springs
    -----Coming Soon-----
    snorkels,
    OX'd D60/14B-FF
  • CheapJeepBrad
    232 I6
    • Jan 10, 2012

is that the one?...

I think I saw that rig for sale in Tennessee. I talked to the guy about the removable top. I thought it was a pretty good price considering all he had already done to it. Would like to see more on how the top works. Also, as you are considering on what your moving over... contact me on the if you want to sell the seats.
    Last edited by CheapJeepBrad; 03-10-2016, 04:49 AM.
    FSJs Owned/sold
    87 GW: Garnet/cordovan
    83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
    87 GW: Black/Cordovan
    87 GW: Silver/Cordovan
    74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Rust -Parted
    77 Cherokee Chief: Tan/Garnet
    79 Cherokee: Golden Eagle
    81 J10 Laredo: Blue/Blue

Current Jeeps

82 Cherokee Chief: blue/blue
    83 J10 Laredo: Red/Blk
    77 Cherokee Chief: Brn/Tan

Comment

• KilroyJC
      232 I6
      • Feb 08, 2016

It must be nice to have a complete set of spare parts on hand
      1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
      1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• blazer3664
        350 Buick
        • Mar 08, 2009

It must be nice to have a complete set of spare parts on hand
        Oh yea...... and patch panels for those rear corners will be getting made use of too.

I think I saw that rig for sale in Tennessee. I talked to the guy about the removable top.
        Yep, thats the one. There will probably be a write-up about the removable top at a later date. It works, but could use a serious bit of refinement. I like the way he did it overall, aligning things shouldn't be a problem. He intended to go back and put weld nuts in but never did, and the "gasket" for the front is foil tape. My Dad is a hotrod guy, and we are both fabrication types, so we'll get it a bit more refined when I get that far.

For now, I'm more worried about getting my axles under it to help the steering and fix up the brakes. The fact that they have 4.10 gears (vs the 3.31 current) doesn't hurt my feelings either.

contact me on the if you want to sell the seats.
        Will do, you'll get a pm before I list them anywhere, they dont tilt forward so they gota go.
        Considering heated AND COOLED seats from a Durango, but I need to go sit in them for a bit.

Jim
        SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
        custom shackle flip
        W/F150 springs
        -----Coming Soon-----
        snorkels,
        OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• serehill
          Gone,Never Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2009

Kewel

Looks like the beginning of a small heard & a huge addiction.

80 Cherokee
          360 ci 727 with
          Comp cams 270 h
          NP208
          Edlebrock performer intake
          Holley 4180
          Msd total multi spark.
          4" rusty's springs
          Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• 1970MontWag
            232 I6
            • Jan 29, 2016

Can't wait to see the write up and pics on the removable top!!! Sweet ride!

Comment

• blazer3664
              350 Buick
              • Mar 08, 2009

Progress is ongoing, albeit slow.

Got the HEI ignition in and tuned some time ago.

New aluminum valve covers, cause I didn't feel like fighting the stamped ones, and will need room for roller rockers later.

Bunch of wiring............bunch.

Stuffed a CS130D alt in there, forgot to get pics as I was modding......again. It should be no big deal to swap it for an AD244 now. (100+ amps @ idle if needed )

Replaced winch solenoids with an Albright contactor, and rewired everything to do with the winch. Also installed an emergency kill switch (complete disconnect from bat +) for it that I can control under the hood or in cab. Will be adding a (panic) button in the front by the headlight soon.

That may seem overkill, but I have seen what happens when a winch gets stuck in the "in" position. Not good . I can also keep the power to it off when not needed, and turn it on with the flip of a switch.

Some stereo upgrades.........still not loud enough to jam going down the road.....(see below)

New exhaust to git rid of the glass packs............still loud

Cheap aux reverse lights, gona try these for a bit and see if I might do something more permanent along these lines.

Almost done reworking the OBA, w/5 gallon 200 psi tank, 165/on - 195/off pressure switch, and a regulator to keep the couplings ~120psi.
              I did a "Test" with my air gun @200............blew the drive down to bare dirt in a split second......... oops.

Working on the dual (fuel) tanks and selector valve. Got to do some body work and get the other filler in too.

Shocks on the way......should flex decent.....15" up front, but limited to 10" out back by a combination of (compressed) shock room, and my budget. I found some 12" shocks that will fit............but ~$300 ea.

In the next couple weeks, shackle flip and F150 springs...again, to get rid of those stupid blocks. Then injection, and tires before my trip end of next month.

I'm sure there will be pics when we get back.........I am apt to do something stupid and break it again.

More to come,

Jim
              SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
              custom shackle flip
              W/F150 springs
              -----Coming Soon-----
              snorkels,
              OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• 8man
                304 AMC
                • Jan 04, 2011

Good start on the new one.
                79 Cherokee S (current project)
                82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Dave740
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 02, 2014

Any chance for pics on the removable top mechanism?
                  1991 Grand Wagoneer
                  Hunter Green Metallic

Silverdale, WA

Comment

• blazer3664
                    350 Buick
                    • Mar 08, 2009

Any chance for pics on the removable top mechanism?
                    I hope so.................sometime................I dont have a "soft top" and keep hoping it will stop raining every other day. I still haven't seen it with the top off myself yet. Its kinda a Bi*****, so when it comes off it will be for a while and I also have nowhere to store the top just yet. (A carport/building is in the works just for that.)

As far as "mechanism", not pretty, just a bunch of sheet-metal screws and a few bolts. It works, but kinda a hack job.

At some point when I have more time it will get refined a bit with weld nuts in the body, and counter sunk bolts on the top, la, la, la-di-da.......Long story, but I have a plan .

I'll see about getting some picks that give an idea how it comes off this weekend. Then maybe I can run my plan by you guys for some constructive discussion.

Jim
                    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                    custom shackle flip
                    W/F150 springs
                    -----Coming Soon-----
                    snorkels,
                    OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• Retro93
                      Junk Collector
                      • Nov 02, 2001

Jim...good to hear about the progress. Keep the updates coming.
                      79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

• blazer3664
                        350 Buick
                        • Mar 08, 2009

Been a while, so I figured I'd throw in an update.

Still tinkering away, when funds allow.
                        Still have not got around to taking the top off, as I have nowhere to store it.

Did get those shocks on, 15.9" travel fronts + 10" rears, and it uses it all.

Did get the dual tank fuel lines and selector valve in, but not the rear tank yet. Hoping for that NEXT weekend.......stupid rain.

200 psi OBA is due for an upgraded high temp air line. Used it as a tire shop compressor a while back, running impact and airing tires. Found out if it runs non stop for 30 minutes or so the airline from my splitter/manifold block gets hot enough to blow out.
                        There is a back-up electric pump in my future also.

Got the second battery in and all wired up. Auto combine w/engine running, and auto dis-con when the engine is off. Can self jumpstart @ the push of a button now, as well as a bit more juice for the winch. Bluesea stuff is not cheap, but great quality.

Lots more wiring in my future. Eventually going to rip out ALL the old patched spliced, mess. Trying to get everything (high current) on relays, and somewhat modular in design for future repairs. Plus adding a few things.

Speaking of winch (Warn 8274), got parts coming for a rebuild/upgrade on it. I hate the way it freespools, should get better soon. Going to synthetic cable too when it goes back together.

Gota figure something out for armrests......both mine are busted where they mount to the door. Not sure whats gona happen there yet, but may be a custom mod.

More to come, w/pics, sometime in the near future.

Jim
                        SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                        custom shackle flip
                        W/F150 springs
                        -----Coming Soon-----
                        snorkels,
                        OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• blazer3664
                          350 Buick
                          • Mar 08, 2009

Bringing this back up. Will be a lot of updates coming in the next few months.

All I will say for now, is its going to look a bit better with new "paint", and feel like a whole new rig with the upgrades I am working on.

More to follow.
                          SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                          custom shackle flip
                          W/F150 springs
                          -----Coming Soon-----
                          snorkels,
                          OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• blazer3664
                            350 Buick
                            • Mar 08, 2009

Starting a build thread finally.

So, 2 years ago I picked up this, since my 78's frame is shot. '81 Cherokee Chief. Top is removable, (more on that later) but I have not had it off, as I dont have a place to store it yet. Fender flares are extended height and width, P.O. used chunks from a rust queen to do it. After cleaning up the welds, I love that little
                            Last edited by blazer3664; 09-04-2018, 04:12 AM.
                            SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                            custom shackle flip
                            W/F150 springs
                            -----Coming Soon-----
                            snorkels,
                            OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• backroadin'
                              350 Buick
                              • Aug 11, 2004

So what's the name of this one? "Butt Ugly" is a tough one to beat!!
                              1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

Working...
                              X