X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Ziebert
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 04, 2016

Good plan on when to drag that new one home!
    1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
    Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
      327 Rambler
      • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
      Good plan on when to drag that new one home!
      I agree, Al. You must be a better man than me. Elizabeth would kick me out if I brought home another stray FSJ...
      '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
      (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
        327 Rambler
        • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
        I agree, Al. You must be a better man than me. Elizabeth would kick me out if I brought home another stray FSJ...
        Join the club!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Got it home. It is a 70 on the title. Built in Sept of 69. It took 4 hours to extract it from behind a cherry tree and a 57 Ranchero that was seriously buried to the middle of the drums in the ground. . I am super tired and will post pictures later. I had Les Schwab tire store mount my new tires on my fresh rims. They scratched multiple 4-6 inch long scratches in my new paint in all 4 wheels.
          I am taking them back tomorrow for them to remove the tires for repairing the paint work and demanding ALL of my 80 bucks back. I am pizzed. Super pizzed. That was weeks of side work. They sell high end aluminum mags new all day long and don't scratch them. buttheads.

There are two more wags for 300 each. A 1980 and a 79. Somebody should snag them. In ValleyFord wa. The place was a raging pig sty. So is the inside of the 70. Smells like a row of urinals that have not been cleaned in ten years. I almost gagged. My clothes stunk. It was a hoot!
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra
          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
            I had Les Schwab tire store mount my new tires on my fresh rims. They scratched multiple 4-6 inch long scratches in my new paint in all 4 wheels.
            Oh, no! They did that to me many years ago with a set of wheels I'd very carefully restored and painted. When I complained, the manager said I should have asked them not to scratch the paint when I brought the wheels in. Seriously - their default method is to be careless unless specifically instructed otherwise? No, thank you. I took a full refund and have not been back since.

There's a lot I don't like about their business model, like trying to scare the customer into replacing everything in the steering and braking systems as a precaution against pending failure, selling tires on life expectancy ratings (which is a gimmick to get the customer back for their next set of tires) rather than quality or value, selling sipping as the greatest thing since sliced bread (it's so benefical that the tire manufacturers refuse to do it!), etc. And the quality of their work is...well...inconsistent. Not to be trusted. I have seen some genuine half-assery come out of their shops.

I'll get my tire work done elsewhere and buy my own beef, thank you very much.
            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
              Oh, no! They did that to me many years ago with a set of wheels I'd very carefully restored and painted. When I complained, the manager said I should have asked them not to scratch the paint when I brought the wheels in. Seriously - their default method is to be careless unless specifically instructed otherwise? No, thank you. I took a full refund and have not been back since.

There's a lot I don't like about their business model, like trying to scare the customer into replacing everything in the steering and braking systems as a precaution against pending failure, selling tires on life expectancy ratings (which is a gimmick to get the customer back for their next set of tires) rather than quality or value, selling sipping as the greatest thing since sliced bread (it's so benefical that the tire manufacturers refuse to do it!), etc. And the quality of their work is...well...inconsistent. Not to be trusted. I have seen some genuine half-assery come out of their shops.

I'll get my tire work done elsewhere and buy my own beef, thank you very much.
              I'm with you on the beef thing. Unpolluted food is getting hard to find. You are what you eat. So I drank as much coffee as I could before heading to swabs er schwabs... I was still pretty pizzed but sleeping on it was probably a good thing. I didn't want the sheriff showing up. I ended up talking to a guy who also moved from Oregon. I have talked with him every time I go in there. The guy has pretty good skills because I ended up losing my anger pretty quick. Yes they have a machine that does aluminum without touching it. Yes they have black stick on weights for balancing and the hammer on weights that got put on really did a number on the finish. It was not going to help being difficult and what happened happened. So they took off the tires so I can spend more money and time fixing them, then the guy specifically said ask for him and he will remount free and use the right weights. I told him fine and left. So I will patch them up and go back for more.
              I am really limited on where to go around here. Les Schwab is the best bet. I have had some really bad luck with having stuff done here. I try to do everything myself. Maybe I am too picky. I doubt it.

So here is where the 70 sat. Pinned in by a cherry tree that was not planted on purpose. The guy did not want to cut it. I installed my bearing hub and put a flat tire on it. Then jacked it up and pushed it off the jack 5-6 times sideways. It did not want to move. It sat for 27 years.

The dead 57 Ranchero and dead 70 CJ-5 in the way. We hooked the perfect straight Wagoneer bumper on the Ranchero channel bumper yanking it out ruining a side of the bumper. The 18 year old kid pulling me was pedal to the metal. No the CJ is not for sale. I asked.

We had to jack and tip the ranchero over 5-6 times also. 4 extraction hours later I had a wag on a trailer. Off I went straight into rush hour traffic in Spokane valley.

This wagoneer is 1038 jeeps past Sadie. And there was some real plus's. The chrome was in great shape. Same with the emblems.

A flanged Dana 44!! And a wheel for the 53 Willy's!

The rig is as rusty as can be. The glove box door emblem is very rebuildable, The horn emblem and plastic cover look great so far, the chrome plated arm rest ends all are perfect except one. It has potential.

But here is the best find in all my 32 years of collecting jeeps. My heart soared when I discovered such a find. All my life I have wanted these. I always felt empty till now. I understand the meaning of life now. What is it you ask????

Romance novels. Hundreds of them.

And I mean hundreds and hundreds of them. And who's harbor are they referring too>!?

3 of these bags are romance novels!! 1 bag is what I think were bell bottom jeans. I felt so incredibly moved. ......not

All this made me feel very dirty. Dirt, dust, waterlogged paperbacks, abandon hornets nests, and thoughts of strangers doing it on the beach or in some harbor somewhere. Who in the heck reads that many books like this? Was she happily married? Is she divorced now? Was she blonde? I'm really hoping it was not the seller who enjoyed all this.... yikes.

I forgot to mention the bullet hole right above the steering wheel from the inside. One should not hook the trigger of their loaded .45 on the turn signal lever while four wheeling. You can poke an eye out that way.

Once I came back to reality sitting there on the tailgate, I pondered.... Why does Sadie not have a VIN sticker in the door frame by the latch like this one>? How can I determine Sadies build month? Mud89??? And I am pretty sure I saw a repro sticker somewhere that you could send in your VIN and build date and get a new one. I hope to find that again.

It's been pretty warm now. I suppose I had better get some paint on Sadie.
              I had better find my sanding hat.
              Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 05-13-2017, 11:03 PM.
              Melford1972 says...
              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                327 Rambler
                • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                All this made me feel very dirty. Dirt, dust, waterlogged paperbacks, abandon hornets nests, and thoughts of strangers doing it on the beach or in some harbor somewhere. Who in the heck reads that many books like this? Was she happily married? Is she divorced now? Was she blonde? I'm really hoping it was not the seller who enjoyed all this.... yikes.

A Big caution to folks working on these old cars in the drier climates like almost the entire SW US. Hantavirus will kill you and you will not enjoy the death. One contracts it from the dust of deer- field mice. All those little pellets of mice poop can be deadly. Wear a GOOD mask.

When I was in high school I worked at a junk yard. My job was to strip cars before they were crushed----remove seats, carpet, headliners, garbage,trash, junk, used body personal items.......... The only job that has ever made me feel dirtier was being a SexCrimes investigator.

Can't wait to see your collection
                Last edited by Frank Ziebert; 03-03-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

I wore a mask and gloves. We are very aware of the dangers of hantavirus. My wife took gloves and a mask to her dads on the coast. She is cleaning up his home right now. Service was yesterday. They found mice droppings in the home everywhere. So a super clean was in order. A woman in Mesa WA died two weeks ago from it. Flue like symptoms. 24 hours at best. The 53 Willy's has produced 9 mice. Two in one trap once. I always wear vinyl gloves and toss em when I am done. The crows like them I see. Nasty virus. Thanks for the heads up. Others should heed the advice and be very careful.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2004

Would you, by chance, be willing to sell the front fender side marker lights/housings from that rig?
                    Heck, even if the passenger side one is bad, the drivers side one looks to be in restorable shape.
                    b
                    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                    50 CJ3A
                    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
                      Would you, by chance, be willing to sell the front fender side marker lights/housings from that rig?
                      Heck, even if the passenger side one is bad, the drivers side one looks to be in restorable shape.
                      b
                      I sent you a PM back. I am currently collecting a lot of parts needing re-plating. This is for the Cosmichrome set up I purchased. The smallest chemical package is premixed and has a shelf life of 90 days. The larger chemical packages are not premixed and last a year. I need to make very sure I am not going to have any waste. At 500 bucks for chems, I am trying to plan accordingly. The PM has more detail regarding the front reflectors. The reflector in the picture is delaminating and looks much worse than it appears. It is going in the rework box.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

Cold and windy today. I was hoping to do all this outside for dust reduction reasons. But it was just to darn chilly out. I spent many hours finding flaws that should have been fixed before primer. It is hard to see them sometimes. Lots of sanding and mild body work.

I found a broken weld on the radiator mount. I carefully ground it out. Lots of porosity in the factory weld.

Sanded the rear quarter window trim, then worked the back half of the grille support.

Then the fender. Lots of work here. I kept running all the way to the house garage where my 1414X was with a large contour gauge in my hand. I had to repeatedly check the damaged fender to my straight one for proper contour. It looked way off, but it was not. The dark spot in the top of the wheel well opening is unsanded graphite. It shows the most mild imperfection. A straight edge showed the metal needed to be driven outward to make the fold straight. After a couple careful chisel strikes it was looking good. Never ever use a body hammer to strike a chisel. Ball peen all the way.

Driving the edge back in line. I have a bunch of carefully prepped chisels for this. No sharps! That is a crossman velvet dolly under there. When you don't want metal on metal strikes. I suggest anyone doing body work on a semi regular basis to get one. They are the shiz.

I ran out of steam at 5:30. Made a couple cheese burgers on the barby and now I need a nap. I miss my wife. I will resume tomorrow.
                        Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 05-14-2017, 07:53 PM.
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                          327 Rambler
                          • Dec 04, 2016

Looks like you enjoy that body work! Come do mine?? Body filler/sand, more body filler/sand, more body filler/sand. You are making me feel like a slacker following your work reports!

I have been in bed since Wednesday with some kind of wierd infection. Spent a lot of time reading up on epoxy primers. Thats enough to scare Trump into being a democrate. I got the frame and axles sold and that almost will pay for my HobbyAir breathing system. I tried my best to find something not quire so expensive but based on what you had to say I just couldn't get over a nagging feeling of impending doom.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

Looks like you enjoy that body work! Come do mine?? Body filler/sand, more body filler/sand, more body filler/sand. You are making me feel like a slacker following your work reports!

I have been in bed since Wednesday with some kind of wierd infection. Spent a lot of time reading up on epoxy primers. Thats enough to scare Trump into being a democrate. I got the frame and axles sold and that almost will pay for my HobbyAir breathing system. I tried my best to find something not quire so expensive but based on what you had to say I just couldn't get over a nagging feeling of impending doom.
                            Have you priced compared the Breathe cool unit? I found most everything was 6-800 ish. The breathe cool is about 389.00. I bought the conventional rubber full face mask unit and one extra hose for being able to get the air unit as far away as possible and still be able to move around. The only drawback I have found, is a harmonic scream at a very specific higher RPM. They are adjustable and that is able to be tuned out. I suspect the other units will do it also. I am glad you are taking the hazards of isocyanates very seriously. Regular respirators take the smell out and don't indicate that you are poisoning yourself permanently.

Here is an amazon link.

Don't yank the hose hard to claim more movement in a haste. I pulled the connector apart and had to repair it. Blatant abuse and not the products fault.

Speaking of poison.
                            I got called to go treat my aunts home for carpenter ants this morning. Protein, sugar baits with a non detectable perimeter spray poison. Something always seems to come up. I hope to be back in time for picking the sanding block back up. Gotta do my home also. They are everywhere.

And get well Frank. There is some weird stuff going around. I am still having lung issues after the sickness I had a couple weeks ago.
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                              327 Rambler
                              • Dec 04, 2016

Thanks for the link Al. I will do a side by side when we get back. They look to be about the same price wise. HobbyAir didn't come with a $30 shipping fee

I said I i am gonna die. ER said bladder and sinus infection. Doc said flu but because I had a flu shot is wasn't as bad as it could have been. Also said go ahead with trip plans but I be prepared to feel like for another 7 or so days. Greaaaaaat!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

Thanks for the link Al. I will do a side by side when we get back. They look to be about the same price wise. HobbyAir didn't come with a $30 shipping fee

I said I i am gonna die. ER said bladder and sinus infection. Doc said flu but because I had a flu shot is wasn't as bad as it could have been. Also said go ahead with trip plans but I be prepared to feel like for another 7 or so days. Greaaaaaat!
                                I read your post in your build thread. Ouch... I had the prostate thing last year. Could not stand, sit or walk. Frank, I believe our warranties are expired.

Get well for sure.

Going to a CNC plasma cutting class tonight.

One thing, I did not buy my breathe cool on amazon. I just grabbed a link to it. 30 bucks eh? geez.
                                Melford1972 says...
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                                X