• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quadruple bypass
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 23, 2019

Projects ownership do we own them or do they own us

Living in Ohio for now old age is making me have the ol song Georgia on my mind
    Not to mention the white over a foot deep crap in my driveway temps down in the it's too dang cold below numbers !! My title of quadruple bypass I earned the hard way a buddy told me I was one stairway from heaven's gates still dealing with the recovery as a trucker cracking the chest is a mandatory 3 months off to let the sternum heal up !!
    So I have lots of time to think of my many to do list projects some I can tinker with others are on hold till I'm released to work or strong enough to tackle them

My jeeps are a mix of old to getting old projects
    The beast 79 Cherokee chief 360/400-2door a fuel tank leak has it parked for now hopefully a summer time driver

82 Grand waggy 304/727 another fuel problem the pickup tubes sending unit rusted off in the tank due to new ideas thinking injection with a grand Cherokee tank mounted where the spare rides trial fitted 1 looks very doable will see spring time

91 Grand waggy bought with a busted motor thinking of a 5,9magnum swap Drivetrain to get a overdrive and I have 3/4ton axles from a 91 dodge pu. possible still thinking on this idea
    There are assorted 1zj 2xj 1mj 1cj5 projects of various needs plus my dodge trucks 86-318/3speed/od-94 2500 Cummins automatic 05 3500quadcab dually Cummins automatic 4+4 then the crazy74 mg midget dreamer for my old age slow ride

So do I own these or the other way around lol
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

The question is, are you okay with never finishing them or even starting them. If the answer is you are good with that, then you own them. A lot of guys are good with just having a lot of cars with no real way or intentions of getting them done and are perfectly fine with that.
    Take a step back and pick one that you really want to get done and sell off the others to finance the one you want to get started on.
    Once are twice a year I see something that catches my eye, and I have to say, It's cool and everything and I have the money to buy it, but do I really have the money or time to finish it, or even get it on the road. The answer is always no in my case, so I just keep trying to get the one I have done. It sounds like you have a lot of cool stuff, maybe one day you will pick one to get started on! Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery!
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

I'm and old fart and from what you list...I'd say they own your arse. Focus on/evaluate your skills, economics, and time allotment. Off what you realistically can't deal with. Concentrate on what you are willing to or can deal with. Most of all quit buying "oh it's cheap, I can fix it up" stuff. That's a young mans dream
      FOCUS!
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Ima one rig man. I love my Mazda more than most love their projects but it's my DD while I work on my Project (which I enjoy the most). I have seen SOOOOoooooooooooo many folks get sidetracked with too many projects. They end up with 4 half finished projects, rather than one or 2 driveable ones. If you can't drive them, they can quickly become a burden.

Then again, I have a buddy around the corner that cycles through projects on a bi-monthly basis. Constantly turning cars/trucks/jeeps around works for him.

If my wife/church didn't keep my in check my rigs would own me.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Be from Be
          232 I6
          • Jan 27, 2017

Oh, reminds me of the fact that I have a 69 cougar convertible that I haven't driven for 10 years because of a transmission problem. And a 86 Camaro Z28 that I bought 5 years ago that I want to transform in a weekend racer. But maybe I should first find a solution for my '65 Corvette Stingray that has an engine that burns oil and a frame that needs some fixes...
          Maybe I will first repair the fender flares of my Cherokee, or mount a e-locker...

Anyway, if you sell your Cherokee, I am interested...
          1978 Cherokee Chief
          360 V8 Automatic
          Quadra Trac w/ Mile Marker conversion
          4" Skyjacker

Comment

• Quadruple bypass
            230 Tornado
            • Jan 23, 2019

Ownership

The many projects have been weeded out of a larger number
            I do agree that my age seems to be getting more of a hindrance plus this latest development has been a wake up on how thin a line I've been treading !!!
            Several were bought for purposes that are no longer needed a winter vehicle for my now passed father ,a father son project that my son hasn't shown interest in helping with in a long time several are inherented from family plus the I wanted it things that as a younger me desired
            It's agreed my budget doesn't stretch to cover all at once but I'm still hopeful of at least watching them be driven away with a new dreamer at the wheel no I've never built a show piece but I believe that getting them alive is a goal met with the smiles of the next owner
            Sort of like the old saying goes for boating the happiest day is buying one then the day you sell it

Comment

Working...
            X