• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gargel-orum
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 26, 2002

Another one: Stupid Lift Question

Ok, i wanna buy a lift in the next couple months. I need opinions and stuff.

Click 'blue velvet (jody)' below for pictures of what this is to go on.

Should i buy a 4'' or a 6'' lift? (springs, no blocks). I dont really need a lift for crawling or anything, but my springs are about shot, and the lifts are cheeper then the factory hight springs.

Money issues aside, Whats the differances between the 2 sizes such as ride, divability, steering feel..that kind of stuff.

I like the 6'' lift cause it just plain looks cool, but would i be getting in over my head if i did it?

and whats the largest size tires i can have with each size lift and still keep my wheels? and what size tires 'look' the best with them? I like the big tires cause the factory wheel size, to me, look like little bitty wheels compared to the truck size.

yes this is mostly and asthetics question- i know you guys have been argueing about this [img]smile.gif[/img] but, yes, i do like my jeep to 'look cool', in my eyes, as well as preform -

Thanks!
    -Lindsey-<br /> (thats me)<br /> &<br /> -Joel-<br /> (aka: Bombadier)<br /><br />1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T<br />CB Radio, 31\'\' Tires, TFI, NP208<br />New 360 Reman-Engine, <br />New Trans (still paying th loan! HAHA!)<br />New Radiator, External Tranny Cooler Routed Through Internal<br />Excellent Emissions (wow!)<br />4BRRL Holly Truck Avenger, Edelbrock Intake Custom Fitted<br />Soone To Get Dual Exhaust<br />All K&N Filters, No Rust! Sucky Radio!<br />GOT ANY BLACK JEEP INTERIOR PARTS? I WANT EM!<br /> <br />THERE THEY GO,I MUST FOLLOW AFTER THEM FOR I AM THIER LEADER!
  • BK
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 21, 2003

Geez it looks just like mine, same colors and all. There is another in the world! I don't have the hood ornament though, LOL. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ April 23, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: BK ]
    82 Waggy

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
      Disciple of A.M.C.
      • Aug 19, 2002

I would just say that a 6" lift, the associated drive line angles, the effect on 33+" tires on stock gears, and stability should be your top concern on a vehicle not used often for off road.

I think the 6" lifts use rear lift blocks.

Ride and drivability are based on spring rating, however the higher you go, the further up the center of gravity and the reduced stability accompanies it.

Don't forget your Wag is NT and has the narrower axles.
      Jason Davis
      '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
      '85 J-10 (parts)
      '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• Gargel-orum
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 26, 2002

BK -You got pics??? i wanna see!

actully i got a new hood ornament, looks like a missle. You want the eagle? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ April 23, 2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Gargel-orum ]
        -Lindsey-<br /> (thats me)<br /> &<br /> -Joel-<br /> (aka: Bombadier)<br /><br />1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T<br />CB Radio, 31\'\' Tires, TFI, NP208<br />New 360 Reman-Engine, <br />New Trans (still paying th loan! HAHA!)<br />New Radiator, External Tranny Cooler Routed Through Internal<br />Excellent Emissions (wow!)<br />4BRRL Holly Truck Avenger, Edelbrock Intake Custom Fitted<br />Soone To Get Dual Exhaust<br />All K&N Filters, No Rust! Sucky Radio!<br />GOT ANY BLACK JEEP INTERIOR PARTS? I WANT EM!<br /> <br />THERE THEY GO,I MUST FOLLOW AFTER THEM FOR I AM THIER LEADER!

Comment

• 89grand
          Resident ***hole
          • Feb 23, 2003

I'm getting ready to do a lift pretty soon too, 3 or 4" max. For your application I would stay away from the 6" lift, that's pretty high for just cruising around and light off-roading but if you go with the 6" you should be able to run 33" tires and be fine, 35" if you don't mind fender trimming but I saw a picture of your rig and I don't think you want to do that. With a 4" lift a good tire and wheel combo is a 31/10.5/15 tire on the stock wheels. You could use a 33/10.5/15 on the stock wheels with the 6" lift but in addition to the other problems I mentioned you will need to regear your rig too. So a 6" lift costs alot more, needs bigger tires to not look funny and regearing for the bigger tires. Go with a 3 or 4" and 31's on the stock wheels.
          Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
          31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
          2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
          2000 Jeep Wrangler
          1988 Cadillac Brougham
          1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
          1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
            Disciple of A.M.C.
            • Aug 19, 2002

You could probably get 32x11.5x15 on a 4" lifted NT, no?? I don't think we're talking about full compression (articulated) in this scenario.
            Jason Davis
            '85 J-10 (parts)
            '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• FSJ Thing
              Propane Protagonist
              • Aug 25, 2002

I think that a 4" lift with 31" tires is going to be exactly what you are looking for. 31" are considered by alot of hard core wheelers to be inadequite, but most everybody here who has run them will tell you that they can handle pretty much everything a 33" will and their road manners are alot better, and they're cheaper and more readily availible too. I'm not telling you to go small because you're a girl, I'm just betting that you want your Jeep to last, and bigger tires,bigger lift, puts more stress on the drive train and the frame, so for a cool look with improved off road abilities, over all I'd recommend 4" lift plus 31" bridgestone Dueler A/Ts
              The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
                Disciple of A.M.C.
                • Aug 19, 2002

I'm not telling you to go small because you're a girl

Jason Davis
                '85 J-10 (parts)

Comment

• FSJ Thing
                  Propane Protagonist
                  • Aug 25, 2002

You're killing me man! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                  The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

here is a shot of mine with 2" lift and 31x10.5's hope that helps
                    p.s. the rear is about an 1" higher in this as i fix the rear most body mounts

[ April 23, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: talntar ]
                    85 gw 215k and still going
                    castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
                    89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

• tito
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jul 02, 2001

I believe with 4" and above extended brake lines, dropped pitman, track bar mods/removal and maybe some other mods are needed. Therefore I went with the 3". Keep in mind the stock springs are sagging. I put a 3" lift on and gained 5 1/2" of height at the driver's door sill. I'm running 31/10.5/15's.

Here's a link to what was my avatar (sniff). She's no where near the condition of Blue Velvet, but you can see the difference in stance.

http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/jeeps/f...-Pictures/jeep pic a.jpg
                      '87 Grand Wagoneer, 3" Rough Country lift, 31" BFG's, K&N filter, Alpine/Bose stereo, TFI ignition upgrade, PowerTrax No Slip locker -rear, factory brushguard, "Genius has limitations, Stupidity doesn't"

Comment

• tito
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jul 02, 2001

Let's try that again.

'87 Grand Wagoneer, 3" Rough Country lift, 31" BFG's, K&N filter, Alpine/Bose stereo, TFI ignition upgrade, PowerTrax No Slip locker -rear, factory brushguard, "Genius has limitations, Stupidity doesn't"

Comment

• 89grand
                          Resident ***hole
                          • Feb 23, 2003

Do you have a bigger picture? That's only 3"? That's about all I need to get my 31's from rubbing when I'm flexing it. How do feel about the ride and quality of the Rough Country lift? I don't think I need to go quite 4".
                          Steve

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
                          2000 Jeep Wrangler
                          1988 Cadillac Brougham
                          1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• will e
                            Always Broke
                            • Nov 16, 2001

Here is some pictures of WILL E. Looks good with a 4" lift and 31X10.5 tires. Didn't have to extend the drive shafts or front brake lines. I have the 3.31 gears and I would certainly re-gear if I went with a taller tire. 32" tires would work but it would be tight. Does very well wheeling here in rocky AZ.

I do plan on getting the drop pitman arm. It drives good but the dropped arm will help.

Good looking truck you got there! It will look great with those rims and 31" tires!

STOCK

LIFTED WITH STREET TIRES

LIFTED with 31" BFG A/T

Link to driver side shot after lift.and tires. Its a large image.

WILL E Lifted - Drivers side view

[ April 23, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: will e ]
                            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• 89grand
                              Resident ***hole
                              • Feb 23, 2003

will e that looks really good, that's about how I want mine to sit, I already have 31's on it now, who installed your lift? I was thinking about getting Rusty's lift but I don't feel like trying to install it and I wasn't sure if any local shops would install a lift that I didn't get from them. BTW I live in Mesa too.
                              Steve

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
                              2000 Jeep Wrangler
                              1988 Cadillac Brougham
                              1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

Working...
                              X