How to remove body from frame procedure..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x98boardwell
    232 I6
    • Aug 21, 2014

How to remove body from frame procedure..?

I own a two post lift and would like to lift the body off the frame on my 84 GW.

Is there any guidelines to go by? I want to ensure I remove what is needed but to not go overboard as well. The body can stay on the lift while I'm reconditioning the motor and frame so it should be a fairly simple task.. correct?

I searched but most body lifting was coming from the top or inside using a motor hoist to some extent.

Here is what I'm guessing:
    - AC connections removed
    - wiring harness removed from firewall.. what else here?
    - body mounts unbolted (how many)?
    - interior out... do seats bolt to frame and need to come out or no?
    - gas tank down spout inside rear quarter panel
    - bumpers.. anything on these or will these stay on frame?
    - front fenders and clip, do these need to come off as well?

Thanks for any help!
    Bryan
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

vacuum lines on firewall from engine
    heater hoses
    steering shaft @ steering column
    shift linkage @ steering column
    brake master cylinder from booster
    cruise control vss wiring throttle cables and speedo cable
    wiring connectors @ rear frame to tailgate and taillights
    starter wires and ground cable
    radiator hoses, fan shroud, trans. cooler lines
    any wiring attached to firewall or engine bay that runs to engine

maybe few other things?
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

interior can stay, bumpers need to come off.
      Tony

Comment

• Strode
        1st Chair, Cowbell
        • Nov 08, 2011

You'll probably find the body bolts just spin in the captive nuts. Mine was very rust free, but the rust got to there, and the 1/2 body bolt nuts wouldn't screw out.

So....that means cutting holes in the floor to access them (the nice little plugs in the floor don't access the nuts) to get to them and get them to hold. I cut out access holes in the 2 in the front, and the 2 in the rear. And I had to make new nut cages and weld them in. If that happens, you'll have to take out the carpet and deal with that. So just be aware of that possibility.
        Brad
        (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

yep, body bolts are a real PITA.
          before you try to remove body bolts drill a hole near caged nut and nuke the bolt and caged nut with pb blaster for several days.
          use a good impact as well. pulling on them w/ standard breaker bar or ratchet will very likely just make the caged nut break loose and spin.
          Tony

Comment

• x98boardwell
            232 I6
            • Aug 21, 2014

Thanks!!

Guys, thanks for all the help. I will plan on tackling this very soon as my garage is finished and the lift is in!!

Anyone who is from CA interested in heading to the Fresno area for a "body removal party" let me know!!! I will gladly pay in beer, grub and laughs.

Unsure when I will start but would be a weekend for sure. Would hope to get body off in a day and I could start most of the work ahead of time to save the jobs for 4 hands or more until someone arrives...

Thanks again and message me if any interest your contact info and I will call!

PS.. Does anyone have a reference pdf or photo of what the body bolts look like and how many their are...? When I took my seats out to remove carpet for cleaning I had an issue with one of the bolts that was a little corroded but it was mainly due to threads being bad below which made it harder to loosen. Where are actual body bolts at?

Regards,
            Bryan

Comment

• Tanker
              350 Buick
              • Jan 04, 2005

If done right 2 people 3 hands,can remove a GW in less then a day. Thats start at 0800 done by 1500. There are 2 bolts by the rear bumper.The way we do it here is start by hood,bumpers,engine bay striping. Leave drive train intake just move wires,vac lines,any lines hoses that go from fire wall to motor. If you take out the bolt on the fire wall thats in the middle of wire harness you can leave most of the wires in place. Front clip off then 8 body bolts. Dont forget fuel tank lines. Lift body off slowly to see what was over looked. Most bumper bolts we just tighten to break off.
              Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
              Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• x98boardwell
                232 I6
                • Aug 21, 2014

Update

Bumpers are off! Only spun one bolt in 1/2... all others loosened fairly easy with a couple that turned hard all the way until the end.

We'll see!

Comment

• x98boardwell
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 21, 2014

update with pics

About to start on the body bolts.. all other items for the most part have been detached and are freed up from firewall.

Comment

• x98boardwell
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 21, 2014

Question

I have two body bolts which are just spinning... what do I do? There is one in the rear and one on the drivers side underneath the cab.

Also, How do I access the ones above the leaf springs in the rear? I can't get an impact gun in there without an extension which isn't recommended... Should I take leaf spring off or try with breaker bar?

Any help from the experts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                    Bryan

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

If they're spinning you'll need to open the floor somewhere above/around them, and tack weld the caged nut again.

Every toolbox should have one of these...worth it's weight in gold for hard to reach stuff with impact.

Tony

Comment

• x98boardwell
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 21, 2014

pic

Tony, I cant see your attachment.

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

It's a 1/2" impact swivel. Has pin that holds socket to swivel and is perfect for jobs like this.

For some reason above link shows on my laptop, but not on my iphone?

Here's a similar one...
                          Order Proto Impact Universal Joint, 1/2 in Output Drive Size, Square, Black Oxide, 2-5/8 in Overall Length, SAE, J74470P at Zoro.com. Great prices & free shipping on orders over $50 when you sign in or sign up for an account.
                          Last edited by babywag; 08-13-2016, 04:00 PM.
                          Tony

Comment

• x98boardwell
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 21, 2014

thanks

Thanks!

I did get those bolts off. One turned off and the other broke in two. I had to hold the nut (square in shape) on top with a 30mm wrench to break both of them loose. The cage which surrounds and holds the square nut was allowing the nut to spin so I had to pry off to get the wrench on it.

The other two nuts I am cutting rubber body o-rings and cutting with saw jaw. Will drill later to gain access once body is off.

Comment

• j2sax
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 20, 2003

Cut the bolts and remember the firewall!

So to save time, get a good hole saw and make nice clean holes above your spinning bolt. Cut off the head of the bolt from underneath then come back inside and pull the cut bolt through... buy replacement bolt and use a new nut to may a better frame nut.

I use at least 3/16 metal, drill a hole through it and cut it in the shape of a diamond so that it barely fits in the cavity diagonally. round of the edges so it does not cut through. weld your nut to it and VOILA! your own heavy duty frame nut. if you ever need to remove the body again, you should be good.

Also, remember that the firewall is HEAVY, so, especially if the tailgate is off, your body is going to be weight biased to the front.

Enjoy!
                              Jesse- Sparta, MO (Near SPfdl MO) J20 4 Door Project, Wag w/ 6" Rusty's, 33x12.5's, 360/727 (for now!), 77 J10, 80 J20, 3 80's Wags, 73 Commando, Lots of AMC Eagles, FSJ parts Rigs and parts

Comment

Working...
                              X