• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLguthrie
    232 I6
    • Feb 18, 2018

NO Backup Lights, Backup Switch Wiring Harness

Hi,
    My harness pigtail connecting up to the backup switch on my T177 is totally disconnected and I cannot locate where the connector from the pigtail interfaces into the main harness. any ideas???...also I disconnected the wiring going to the actual backup switch in the transmission and I did not read continuity when shifted into Reverse.....So I think the switch is bad.....AND the harness is disconnected ......

thanks

Anthony
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

I have not seen a T-177-equipped Jeep, but the ones I've seen have a harness that leaves the engine bay at the middle of the firewall and goes along the tunnel to the transmission. If you have the factory harness, likely the remnants are there - you just have to search for them. Compare the wiring diagram and trace along to find where the wires for the switch leave the harness.

These transmission-mounted backup light switches stop working pretty often. Seems like I have to fiddle with the one on my J-10 every time I go to inspection. If all you need is a new switch, that should be an easy fix. The T-177 is a Ford transmission, so the part should be available.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• FLguthrie
      232 I6
      • Feb 18, 2018

Originally posted by tgreese
      I have not seen a T-177-equipped Jeep, but the ones I've seen have a harness that leaves the engine bay at the middle of the firewall and goes along the tunnel to the transmission. If you have the factory harness, likely the remnants are there - you just have to search for them. Compare the wiring diagram and trace along to find where the wires for the switch leave the harness.

These transmission-mounted backup light switches stop working pretty often. Seems like I have to fiddle with the one on my J-10 every time I go to inspection. If all you need is a new switch, that should be an easy fix. The T-177 is a Ford transmission, so the part should be available.

THX!!!! so much for responding and you were dead on!! Found the connector, plugged into harness, had 12V at the backup switch connector and NO continuity thru the switch, picking new one up tomorrow from NAPA, also...magic...my 4wd light lites up in my cluster now...wow..I'm so excited...anyway thx again!!

Anthony

Comment

Working...
      X