• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTruck-Connor
    232 I6
    • Jan 29, 2017

Well, I learned my lesson- Never buy without a title

Hey, here's a copy of a post from my build thread. Don't buy without a title. It's never worth it.

My Truck is quickly becoming not mine. My garage door broke, and since I just got my truck running last week, I was happy to announce that I could park the vehicle on the street while the overhead people worked on my door. Problem is, my neighbor is running an illegal auto shop out of his garage and the city is trying hard to catch him. So they saw the jeep, plateless and naked in the street, and they towed it instantly.

I don't have a title. That is the only sheet of paper that can get it out of impound. So in 30 days, my jeep will not be my jeep, and I will be jeepless. All the time and money and emotion I spent will be for nothing. Please, please, never repeat my mistake. I don't believe any one on here would ever purchase a vehicle without a title, and now I can join their ranks, as I will never again make such a grievous error.
    1976 J20 "Plain Jane" - Original 401, TH400, BW1339
    Build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182038

Jeep looking for new home:
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187181

My Honda was my motivation to finish my Jeep Now it's just reality.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Only 30 days huh? Yikes. A long shot with the clock ticking: What was the seller you bought from excuse for not having a title? If he jumped the title to avoid taxes, you're screwed. If he actually transferred the title to his name legally and later lost/misplaced the title, you've got a chance. If lost and he really is the legal owner he can file for a duplicate title. Here in WA it's $40 and takes two weeks. Then you/he can do the paperwork to take to your DMV and at least get your name into the computer system. Any chance the legal owner can get the truck out of impound for you? Sorry you had to learn from experience never dump a bunch of work and money into rig that isn't legally yours. One of life's rules. NO TITLE, NO DEAL.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

My heart just sank reading this! Oh man! That is AWEFUL! That means if they "take" it away from you, they are going to send it to a wrecker, too. What a tragedy!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• davidt443
        232 I6
        • Oct 18, 2017

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with everything.
        Check out my 1979 Cherokee Build vlog!
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6D...juwywI08WMjlnw

Comment

• xabn82
          232 I6
          • Jan 01, 2016

I've never understood why people don't have titles to these old cars and trucks. I have a 1971 F100 and a 1973 J4000, both have titles. I see ads all the time "Georgia doesn't require a title, so vehicle has no title, just bill of sale"
          Is it really that hard for a seller to obtain a title????
          1973 J4000

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by xabn82
            I've never understood why people don't have titles to these old cars and trucks. I have a 1971 F100 and a 1973 J4000, both have titles. I see ads all the time "Georgia doesn't require a title, so vehicle has no title, just bill of sale"
            Is it really that hard for a seller to obtain a title????
            Most common reason is the new owner doesn't transfer the title is to avoid paying state sales tax due at time of registration. Pretty common here with 9.8% state sales tax. If the title was properly transferred and taxes paid and later the title got lost it's real easy to file for a lost title and get a duplicate. $40 and 2 weeks. Bottom line: if it's a "legal" sale, there is no good excuse for a seller to not have the title.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• ZackN920
              350 Buick
              • Nov 18, 2015

ok, why were you working on it before obtaining a title? That would've been the first thing i'd do. Work on getting the title.

What's wrong with the small scale auto shop? I fix stuff for people sometimes and never thought it was illegal?

What gave them the right to just steal peoples property? Would they have done that if it was in your driveway? I wonder if you could sue the city...

I also wonder, what happens to it now? Do they sell these vehicles to the junkyard or re-title them and send them to auction?
              1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
              Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
              ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• ZackN920
                350 Buick
                • Nov 18, 2015

Taken from Season 5, Episode 10, Peter's Two DadsAny Family Guy clip suggestions are welcome! Leave me an inboxAll Rights go to Fuzzy Door Productions and 20...

Don't end up like Peter after this... Stay strong.

Comment

• Maxgroup
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 15, 2015

Don?t you have a bill of sale?
                  If you do you can claim that you intend to use it for parts and should be able to get it back

Comment

• JTruck-Connor
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 29, 2017

Update and reply

Update- looks like if I can convince the city to send a release form to the tow yard, I may not be up a creek anymore. They will release it to me without the daily holding fees (because it is a unique situation). So we will see! Unfortunately, the City may require a title anyway, so this may be a lack luster update. Only time will tell, but not too much time.

Joe- No such luck. The Previous owner didn't ever receive a title from the owner prior to him, and the that guy is the one that lost it. So it would still be two weeks for a title anyway. But yes, lesson learned. No title no deal, every time from here on out. If I ever get this one back, I'm not even going to turn the key until I've got a title in hand.

Rang-a-stang- yep. It's to the crusher. I asked about auction or whatever and they said they can't sell it if they've never seen a title. So it will be "Disposed of."

David- thank you, I appreciate the support

xabn82- It wouldn't have been that hard, but the previous previous owner saw the truck as a tool, not a vehicle. It was a plow truck, and it just passed with the house. It never left the property so my co-worker never thought to chase down the title either. He wasn't really looking to sell, but I wanted a project and he wanted to buy a new plow vehicle so we made a deal. I bought for a grand without title, and started working on titling it. It's a funny story actually, the titleholder was leaving the house and was late getting off the property, so my coworker was trying to move in but this guy was taking his time. Anyway, they started taking the mirrors off the walls- not like, picture frame wire mirrors, like the bathroom mirrors permanently affixed and my coworker was like "hey, those are part of the house!" and the guy was like, "it's probably about $1000 in mirrors, I'll leave the plow truck and we'll call it good?" and my coworker said sure and paid $300 to replace the mirrors.

Zack- I wasn't doing any upgrades or anything, just getting it moving enough to trailer it so I could get the VIN verified, which is the first step in re-titling. So I really was trying to get a title before I started, it just so happened my friend was in town, so I got a bunch of parts to get it turning over again. It wouldn't even roll when the tcase was broken. I should've just dropped the case and driveshafts and rolled it on a trailer for VIN, but I wanted it a little further on to avoid a salvage title- there are so many extra steps if you apply for a title with a vehicle that isn't "roadworthy."
                    Also, nothing wrong with a small shop or doing stuff for buddies or even a small word of mouth business. This guy is getting cars delivered on flatbeds to his house all the time and working on like 12 things at once, parking up and down our street and working at night to evade the code enforcement people. He has no other employment, and it isn't a registered business. I can't know for a fact, but I suspect he doesn't claim the income for tax purposes. It's pretty infuriating living across the street from that. Anyway, they will definitely crush it if I can't get it back, because it has no plates and they haven't been able to reach the title holder. They took it because of the lack of plates, and I understand why they did, and I know it was my fault, but man it is frustrating. Hopefully this story has a happy ending though.

Maxgroup- I hadn't thought of that, but I think that wouldn't work because it was never deemed a "total loss" which officially would make it not a vehicle anymore. I may try that and see what they say, but I think there is a good chance that, due to the vehicle history (or lack thereof) they still won't be allowed to release it.

Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot. I know I did a dumb thing trying to get a vehicle without a title, and this proves I should've stayed far away. But I'm holding hope to get it back and keep bringing it back to life. If this release form from the city pans out, it could be back in a week. I'll keep you all posted.
                    1976 J20 "Plain Jane" - Original 401, TH400, BW1339
                    Build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182038

Jeep looking for new home:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187181

My Honda was my motivation to finish my Jeep Now it's just reality.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Ok, I'll come to your defense. My brother has a CJ5 in his garage that we picked up with no title. We know where the seller lives and he basically said "I started paperwork to transfer it to me in about 2002 but I have no idea what happened after that." Seller said he's happy to sign whatever paper we bring over but doesn't have the time/energy to go to DMV to have things straightened out so he practically was giving it away.

My brother picked it up knowing there would be a hassle to get the title but the price was right and he had a spot in his garage for it. We figured worst case scenario, he would buy another/titled chassis and swap parts. Apparently worst case scenario is if your neighbor is running an illegal auto shop out of his garage and the city is trying hard to catch him, then they see a jeep, plateless and naked in the street, and they tow it instantly. He has gone to DMV a couple times and California Highway Patrol has been to his house (to verify the VIN) and he is still without title after about 2 months.

I think what you did was take a calculated risk parking it on the street. Unfortunately this time, the risk materialized and you got the shaft (hopefully not though). If I recall, you got a great deal on a great rig. This is just unfortunate and I really hope the city hooks you up and lets you take it back. I would REALLLY hate to hear your truck went to the crusher just because you parked it on the street. Maybe they would send it to a wrecker and you buy it from them with a salvage title?
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• KaiserMan
                        I got the Willys....
                        • Jun 21, 2005

If all sensible methods fail, show up at the tow yard with a 12 gauge and get it back. The only way someone would get one of my Jeeps is over my dead body.
                        Thomas Russell
                        1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                        1971 Gladiator
                        J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                        1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• ZackN920
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 18, 2015

geeze, what the hell?! Flatbed'd to the guy's house???

Ugh, Tom... That might not be the best idea. Yea, they'll let him take it with his shot gun, but they may call the cops about some crazy guy with a gun that just stole a jeep... as he's driving away.

I wonder, if he were to get there in time, if he could buy the jeep from the yard for scrap price. They'll do that for me here... but I actually know the owners well-at the yard here, so maybe that's just me...

Comment

Originally posted by ZackN920
                            I wonder, if he were to get there in time, if he could buy the jeep from the yard for scrap price. They'll do that for me here... but I actually know the owners well-at the yard here, so maybe that's just me...
                            The problem with that is this truck is essentially considered a stolen vehicle right now, until proven otherwise. Whether it is actually stolen or not, if they cannot contact the true legal owner, they will err on the side of caution and not release it. It's a liability thing, and they're completely in the right to handle it that way. It sucks, but it is the correct method. As everyone has mentioned, getting the title first and foremost should've been the priority, but live and learn.

As far as getting your truck back, there is ALWAYS a way to make something happen. You will likely need to get creative, though. The only thing you realistically should need to do is provide validation from the actual legal owner that you have taken ownership of the vehicle. If you can get a hold of the last title owner and get a notarized statement, I would think that'd be all you'd need. (Disclaimer, I am not a lawyer)

If you haven't already, I would definitely recommend you contact a lawyer if the truck is really worth it to you. It would certainly be a shame to see it get crushed because of some technicalities.

aa
                            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Cecil14
                              The problem with that is this truck is essentially considered a stolen vehicle right now, until proven otherwise. Whether it is actually stolen or not, if they cannot contact the true legal owner, they will err on the side of caution and not release it. It's a liability thing, and they're completely in the right to handle it that way. It sucks, but it is the correct method. As everyone has mentioned, getting the title first and foremost should've been the priority, but live and learn.

As far as getting your truck back, there is ALWAYS a way to make something happen. You will likely need to get creative, though. The only thing you realistically should need to do is provide validation from the actual legal owner that you have taken ownership of the vehicle. If you can get a hold of the last title owner and get a notarized statement, I would think that'd be all you'd need. (Disclaimer, I am not a lawyer)

If you haven't already, I would definitely recommend you contact a lawyer if the truck is really worth it to you. It would certainly be a shame to see it get crushed because of some technicalities.

aa
                              I think you are 100% spot on. BUuuut a lawyer would probably cost more than the truck.

My hope is the tow yard decides that there is so little risk that the truck is stolen that they just assume the risk and let you have it for the cost of the tow. I think if it were a $45k car with a $5k stereo and blingin' rims or a first generation Bronco, you would be screwed because it would not be worth the risk to them of releasing it and getting sues but your are talking about an old truck worth well under $5k that's not in huge demand. Keep praying for favors amongst the city and the tow yard!
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X