X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Ziebert
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 04, 2016

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. There are times when tis is really frustrating. Such as the billionth time I do/redo something. So a bit of encouragement helps!

The factory paint was that light turquoise, blue green. Dad painted it about 25 years ago but I don't think he had a water filter in the air line. Didn't take long for tiny bubbles to surface and cause rust.

Almost have the rolling chassis ready to push around and temporarily remount the cab and fenders to start the body work. Found a relatively inexpensive source of 16 gauge sheet metal for patch panels. Sure wish I had an English wheel, shears and a brake. Might have to make a trip to HF for some one time use stuff
    1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
    Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
      327 Rambler
      • Dec 04, 2016

Bit of an update. Cab is temporarily back on the frame while I cut the rot out and weld patches back in. Progress is when the body work kicks in!

Last edited by Frank Ziebert; 02-05-2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
        Bit of an update. Cab is temporarily back on the frame while I cut the rot out and weld patches back in. Progress is when the body work kicks in!

Interesting shock bracket. Not close to mine at all. Mine is welded to the round cross member above the axle.
        1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• bkilby
          350 Buick
          • Jan 10, 2016

Is that a ground wire for the steering column? I don't think I've ever seen one grounded like that on any vehicle. Sure can't hurt though.
          1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
            327 Rambler
            • Dec 04, 2016

That bracket was riveted to the frame several inches aft of where it is now.
            As close as I can figure that ground wire is for the horn. It was not connected at one end but the fitting was still in place.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

That bracket was riveted to the frame several inches aft of where it is now.
              As close as I can figure that ground wire is for the horn. It was not connected at one end but the fitting was still in place.

That is indeed the ground wire. When the horn comes on by itself when you turn, that's the same circuit that has rubbed through the wire insulation inside the column. Make sure the wire bridges the rubber rag joint. It looks like it does, but sometimes pics are hard to make sure.

Sure enjoying the build. I could take a lesson in speediness from you.
              You are moving right along.
              Melford1972 says...
              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra
              2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
              Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
              Keep a small violin, There is always a worse story than your own

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                327 Rambler
                • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                That is indeed the ground wire. When the horn comes on by itself when you turn, that's the same circuit that has rubbed through the wire insulation inside the column. Make sure the wire bridges the rubber rag joint. It looks like it does, but sometimes pics are hard to make sure.

Sure enjoying the build. I could take a lesson in speediness from you.
                You are moving right along.
                Thank you. However, it may not be as speedy as portrayed. The first set of pictures are from last summer. I didn't find this forum until recently.

The business that I have acid dip the parts is 140 miles away and it takes a week for the dipping process so that slows things down considerably. I hate driving over the Santiam pass during winter blizzards especially when pulling a trailer with large body parts loaded.

I did find and buy another 70 J2500 from another member on this forum. Will drive to SOCAL the end of this month to pick it up. Between the two I may end up with a great truck

Comment

• toddthewelder
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 30, 2010

Why did you choose to do the acid dip over some sort of media blast? Down here where I live I don't think many (if any) do acid dip, I'm guessing it's because we don't have the rust issues you face in the N.W..
                  80 cj 5
                  87 GW
                  Another 87 GW
                  88 GW
                  99 Wrangler
                  07 Dodge 3500
                  67 Chevy SWB
                  2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                    327 Rambler
                    • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by toddthewelder
                    Why did you choose to do the acid dip over some sort of media blast? Down here where I live I don't think many (if any) do acid dip, I'm guessing it's because we don't have the rust issues you face in the N.W..
                    I have both done and had media blasting done. Always some areas that could not be reached. So this time I opted to use a liquid that got everything- behind brackets, under joined panels, etc. Actually check out the website for Metal Works in Eugene, OR and see the whole 2 tank process. It's pretty interesting.

Comment

• toddthewelder
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 30, 2010

I have both done and had media blasting done. Always some areas that could not be reached. So this time I opted to use a liquid that got everything- behind brackets, under joined panels, etc. Actually check out the website for Metal Works in Eugene, OR and see the whole 2 tank process. It's pretty interesting.
                      I watched a few videos on youtube after I asked you why you did the dip, you do a far better job of explaining why a person would want to do it than the videos did, thanks for the reply
                      80 cj 5
                      87 GW
                      Another 87 GW
                      88 GW
                      99 Wrangler
                      07 Dodge 3500
                      67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                        327 Rambler
                        • Dec 04, 2016

I watched a few videos on youtube after I asked you why you did the dip, you do a far better job of explaining why a person would want to do it than the videos did, thanks for the reply

You are welcome. My brother suggested it so I guess he gets the credit

Comment

• toddthewelder
                          258 I6
                          • Dec 30, 2010

You are welcome. My brother suggested it so I guess he gets the credit
                          Brothers are cool like that. If you don't mind me asking, what's the price for a dip run?
                          80 cj 5
                          87 GW
                          Another 87 GW
                          88 GW
                          99 Wrangler
                          07 Dodge 3500
                          67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                            327 Rambler
                            • Dec 04, 2016

Brothers are cool like that. If you don't mind me asking, what's the price for a dip run?
                            Each piece is different in cost. Go to Metal Works web site and they have a cost listing for almost every automotive piece. It isn't cheap as it is a fairly labor intensive process---more than just letting it sit in acid.

Check this out:
                            Last edited by Frank Ziebert; 02-08-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                              327 Rambler
                              • Dec 04, 2016

I have started on the body and can believe the amount of rust damage. Every time I think I am about done with a particular section I move some thing or pull some thing up and there is more rot!

Stich welding with a mig, especially my mig that only has 4 heat settings and is not variable, except for line speed, can be an exercise in frustration. Lowest setting is too low. Next setting is okay until I hit an area of rust thinned parent metal--instant hole! I rebuilt a 53 Willys pick up and did much the same type repairs with a stick welder and SMALL rods. Guess I have lost my touch but hey that was 40 years ago.

KiaerJeeps, I sure hear you on the plasma! Going thru saber saw blades like water and the sawzall is just too dang big for a lot of stuff. HF cut off wheels are a PITA but work okay.

Yesterdays progress. Have not sanded down the welds yet and there is more stitching required. Very time consuming and I hate body work anyway!

Question for the welders out there. Seems like if I clean up an area for welding using a wire wheel. I have trouble holding a bead. Am I correct in assuming the brush (power driven, not hand) is leaving a film of metal and the shiny look is not just clean base metal?

Comment

• toddthewelder
                                258 I6
                                • Dec 30, 2010

Use acetone to clean the weld after you brush or grind on it. What size wire are you running in your machine? If you have the right size slots in the rollers of your machine you could try running a thinner wire and that would reduce the heat needed to weld, another thing to try is silicon bronze wire, it has a much lower melting point than the ER70s that you are running now. The pros of running the silicon bronze are that it is softer, so it grinds easier, lower melting point, pretty bronze color. the down side is that it isn't cheap, it looks like poo if you've never used it in a mig gun, and you have to shield it with 100%argon rather than the 75/25 that you are running now. Something else to keep in mind is that you just want to tack the metal and then move to another spot so things can cool (I'm more than sure you already knew that). It don't have to look good since you're grinding most of it back off. If none of those things work go to harbor freight and get a $10 welding spoon and hold it to the back of thin areas or places with a bad fit or big gap.
                                Hope some of that helps
                                80 cj 5
                                87 GW
                                Another 87 GW
                                88 GW
                                99 Wrangler
                                07 Dodge 3500
                                67 Chevy SWB

Comment

Working...
                                X