International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM

Awesome, glad to hear it has gone in your favor!
Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 PM

Smile

Glad to hear you got your truck back.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:33 AM

Can you take it on the trailer for the vin inspection

Andrew
Old 10-26-2017, 11:42 AM

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I can trailer it to the VIN inspection, but if I do it starts the process to be "rebuilt from salvage" instead of just getting a free and clear title. At least that is my understanding. It may be that this isn't true until the vehicle inspection, but I'm not taking the chance, as it is a longer process to rebuild from salvage. Anyway, I am going to get temp tags and drive it over to the office, partially because I don't want to chance salvage but also because I am dying to get it out on the road and see what the situation at speed it- i.e. driveshafts, suspension replacements, etc. So I will jump at the chance if the county is going to let me drive it on the road.

My Honda is my motivation to finish my Jeep
Old 10-26-2017, 01:35 PM

Ok I'm confused but it happens easily and often so no reflection on you. Even if the city allows you to haul it for a VIN inspection, how's that goona help you get a title? Since the guy you bought it from didn't have a title nor did the guy he bought it from Even if the truck doesn't show up as a stolen vehicle the VIN inspection will show the "legal" owner as in the last guys name on a valid title. Regardless of previous lost title/title jumping shenanigans whatever. I don't see where the state is going to ignore the "legal owner" and issue you an owners title, salvage or otherwise?? Kinda the function/purpose of a VIN inspection. The city that impounded your truck for being parked illegally on the street has nothing to do with titling/ownership. Before you spend time/money hauling it around for a VIN verification I would "walk-in" to your Dept of Licensing and have a face to face sit down and find out what you need to do according to state laws not city laws. Me thinks the city clock puncher is blowing smoke up your tailpipe about getting it titled. If somehow this leads you to a salvage title (not likely) take it. At least it will somehow "legally" be your truck. Better than losing it and the labor and money you already put into it. If you plan to keep the truck a salvage title isn't a big deal. May depending on your states insurance providers up your ins rates but not in every state. Biggest issue with a salvage title is when you try to sell the truck. "Salvage title" to most buyers screams "wrecked or totaled" by the ins company with no guarantee it was repaired correctly and safe so salvage rigs sell for "extremely less" than a properly titled vehicle. Keep doing your homework through the state not the city/county.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Master Mechanic

I had the impression this thing has been sitting around so long it's off the books.

I thought part of the VIN inspection is verifying it isn't stolen. That and the bills of sale he has allow him to get a new Title.

But I get cornfused easily too.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
I had the impression this thing has been sitting around so long it's off the books.

I thought part of the VIN inspection is verifying it isn't stolen. That and the bills of sale he has allow him to get a new Title.

But I get cornfused easily too.

A bill of sale doesn't mean jack if it's not from the legal owner of the vehicle. I could write my neighbor a bill of sale for a vehicle down the road, doesn't mean it holds any weight.

The only way I see this going through is if they find that it has never been reported stolen and the legal owner has clearly not registered it in so long it could be considered a derelict and re-title to a new owner.

I'm kinda with Joe on this one, though. Definitely do your homework (sounds like you really already have) before you invest much more. Make 100% sure that this baby is YOURS without a doubt before you even open the garage door again. haha

aa

1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank
Old 10-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil14
The only way I see this going through is if they find that it has never been reported stolen and the legal owner has clearly not registered it in so long it could be considered a derelict and re-title to a new owner.

Isn't that what I said?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:12 PM
Noob!

I'm glad you got it back. I was just looking at a 71 J-4000 on CL that someone is trying to sell without a title, it's amazing how many cars and trucks you see listed like that. Fortunately there is a way to get one in Wa but it is a long drawn out 2 year process.

Why don't you just trailer it to a block away from the inspection then drive it that one block to get it inspected?

Also in most places the tow companies auction off vehicles after 30 days with a possessory lien, they don't need a title to do it, they just have to verify it hasn't been reported stolen. Not sure why they would say they would just send it to the crusher other than they don't want you just buying it back for $50 and not having to pay the million dollar storage fee. Of course if you were in the situation it went to auction and you bought it back with a possessory lean, then you would be able to get a title for it much easier using the lien paperwork. Also you may have been able to leverage the tow as a means for getting paperwork from the original owner. Here in Wa, my understanding is that if you get towed and they sell it for storage the registered owner gets stuck with the bill for the remaining amount and you can't get tabs or renew your drivers license until you pay it off. Not sure how it works in Co.

Just some random thoughts for the next person this happens to
Old 10-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Well Iím happy for you brother!
Now keep going and give us pics
Old 10-27-2017, 12:10 PM

I missed a step in the explanation that could clear things up a little about the "legal owner" aspect of this process- basically, the VIN verification gets them started trying to contact the title holder if the vehicle isn't stolen or a total loss- they have the ability to pull up the records and find the last titleholder by name and address. They attempt to contact the titleholder, and if they get no response in an amount of time (90 days I think?) then I can take steps to have the vehicle re-titled. Basically, they do everything they can to find the owner, and if they do and he/ she says "I don't want it" or doesn't reply, and the title is out of date, and registration isn't current, then it's pretty clear that it's not stolen and no one will be able to come up with a title.

So basically there is a whole step where they contact the titleholder, who I believe is deceased without passing on the truck (previous, previous owner's dad).

If all of this doesn't pan out, however, I can just use the bill of sale to register it as an OHV (off highway vehicle) and turn it into a trail truck for wheeling. It won't be street legal, but would still be a lot of fun to take out. Just have to trailer or tow it then.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:21 PM

I found the step by step **Colorado Specific**

1. Certified VIN Inspection: $20, form DR 2704

2. Colorado Title Record Search: $2.20, form DR 2539 and DR 2489A

3. If there is a lien, it must be released by the lien holder. Without an acceptable lien release, a court order is required.

4. Bond Statement and In Lieu of Bond Affadavit; Form DR 2394 and purchasing documents

5. If the vehicle is returned by the VIN search as a "salvage," another Certified VIN inspection is required to determine if the vehicle is roadworthy. If it is, a title application may be filed in the form of a DR 2415 Title Established by Salvage Title Checklist and DR 2424 Salvage Title Statement of Fact.
If NOT Roadworthy, DR 2410 Application for Salvage Title or repair the vehicle and get ANOTHER DR 2704 VIN inspection, rinse and repeat until roadworthy, then see above.

6. Apply for a title: $7.20, DR 2841, bring Secure and Verifiable ID (DL, Passport, Birth Cert, etc. Stuff you use for getting a driver's license will suffice.)

So all in all, it's actually only like $30, just a huge headache and lots of paperwork. If it doesn't come back as a salvage (99% it won't, I already did a VIN search) then it could happen with only 2 office visits where the truck has to be there. Then it'll be like $150 to register it.

TL;DR- lots of paperwork, and pray it's not a salvage. Will cost more to register than to title. Don't buy a vehicle without a title unless it's basically free and you have a lot of free time on weekdays to stand in line at the DMV.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Use this service: http://www.broadwaytitle.com/lost-automobile-titles.htm

Easy and gets you a real title. Not salvage.

... Over the years I have owned A LOT of junk cars. GA was easy, but the "Bill Of Sale" registration was near impossible to transfer to VA. VA is a PITA on registering everything.

But I have pulled a title search and it is a mixed bag of dead POs or still in town. I had one guy sign a lost title, which was cool and made my life easy... But don't count on it. Most previous POs don't care enough to even talk to you, if you can find them.

Also I am a huge believer in Title and Tag everything! Even parts cars. The town/county will become a problem otherwise after your collection of junk cars grows. Because it only takes 1 neighbor to be a d1ck and call the law. Better yet, hide them all behind a fence if you have that option. Yes you burn $100ish on Reg & Title, but good piece of mind to have Antique plates which are buy once items.

In fact, I just gave an extra $50 for a parts car Volvo 740 to get the title right and in my name from the owner... One of those bought, signed title, never went to DMV type deals - common on non-running junkers. But a PITA on titles. So we will see what happens on that this week!

Congrats on getting her back and Good Luck getting a clean title for her.
1971 C-10 w 5.3 LS swap
1979 Porsche 911SC
Daily: 2007 Cadillac DTS
Old 11-20-2017, 10:52 PM
Grease Monkey

Waiting on the title for my 70. Got it with a lost title request from the original owners, and a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from. Had to go to the Credit Union listed to get the lien signed off (easier than I thought). Then sent a certified letter requesting a signature on a bill of sale from the registered owners. They actually signed and returned it! Oregon DMV must be pretty lenient, they told me as long as the lien was signed off they would get me a title even without a signature on a bill of sale. Glad I didn't have to test that. Looking in the mailbox every day...
1966 Waggy
1968 Waggy
1970 Waggy
1972 Waggy

1982 Scrambler
1981 Scrambler

www.oldsoulsretros.com