• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biscuit5050
    232 I6
    • Sep 04, 2014

Diagnosis Help

My son's 90 Wagg 360 runs hot. Can't touch the front of the hood hot.

New water pump and new thermostat and new coolant. I personally don't think the thermostat is opening up. Anyway to diagnose? Radiator cap hasn't popped and dash gauge shows all good but it just doesn't "feel" right to me. My 401 runs much cooler. Is there a good way to burp the system. I tried leaving the cap off, but it just overflows on the floor.
    Biscuit

Blue - 77' Wagoneer
    401cid de-smog / 400TH / Quadtrac w/ reduction
  • addicted
    Big Meanie
    • Dec 11, 2004

You need to find out what the temp really is. As far as burping it, disconnecting a heater hose works quite well.
    Originally posted by Ristow
    i bet it was Simon....
    he's such big meanie that way...
    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• steveomd
      232 I6
      • Jul 31, 2014

Running hot

You could always try to run without the thermostat installed and see if it still runs hot. If temp gauge shows it is still running hot with a new water pump, then could be clogged radiator.

Comment

• mdcptman
        Jeep Therapist
        • Apr 09, 2010

Ive always confirmed temp by opening the cap and putting a meat thermometer in the opening. (Dont ask, or tell your wife. They wont understand. ) But you said it boils over if the cap is off? You can take the thermostat and drop it in boiling water to confirm that it works. Once u know for sure that it is in fact overheating, then maybe a flush?
        Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
        88 Grand Wagoneer
        360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
        Edelbrock 2131
        Holley 600
        Hydroboost
        Hedman headers
        Dual exhaust
        MSD6A, TFI
        Digital Gauges
        Rusty's 2" Lift
        31x10.5 15LT15s
        Quote From Friend's Mom:
        "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• Strode
          1st Chair, Cowbell
          • Nov 08, 2011

You can find thermo laser guns pretty cheap these days, and see what kind of temperature you're talking about. They're kinda handy to have around.

I know from experience that late/retarded timing will really raise temps. So I'd start with the basics and look for vacuum leaks, timing, carb settings, etc.
          Brad
          (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• lkmarsh
            350 Buick
            • Nov 21, 2008

What kind of fan are you running, and do you have a fan shroud? Flex fans are junk, only for racers, and shrouds are not optional. I went through this BS, like many others here, tossed the flex fan for a factory seven blade clutch fan and made a shroud, made a huge difference in running temps. Finally did not have to worry about getting stuck in traffic. Also, aluminum radiator is a good idea.
            Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
            69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
            68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
            68 Impala wagon 327/400
            73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
            04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
            73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• Biscuit5050
              232 I6
              • Sep 04, 2014

Thanks all. Going to go with a flush. It has Stock fan with shroud.
              Biscuit

Blue - 77' Wagoneer

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

Interesting

Thermal guns work wonders. Boiling the thermostat on a pot on the stove should open it up. You should also be able to see circulation if the water is not constantly pushing out & it should not do that. When the thermostat opens it circulates. Are you sure you know the difference between the boil over & a blown head gasket/ cracked head that will blast water out of the radiator? Can you see the water circulating in the radiator when hot? Does the water blow out when you start it or only after it warms up? Thermostats obstructions or a blow back would be my first thoughts. You say it does none of this when the cap is on?
                Yes if it's simple overflow it could be a t stat. Also make sure it has the correct fan with the air flow correct.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Edlebrock performer intake
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Biscuit5050
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 04, 2014

Definitely boil over not eruption. Level starts out an inch or two below cap, cold. Cap off turn on and let idle. Coolant begins to swell. Very little "flow" in coolant. Slowly builds up and over flows. Not the typical reaction to t-stat opening where fluid swells but then as very visible movement and levels out below neck.

With cap on it flows into jug to full hot level and sucks it all back into radiator when cold.

Gauge reads just above blue band on gauge (the sweet spot), but seriously when you can't touch the dip stick and can barely unlatch the hood after a trip to the store, there is a problem... it may be lurking, but there is a problem.

My 77 was like that and everyone was like it is normal. After overhaul of coolant system none of the above.

PS - no oil in radiator and no coolant in oil. No tell tale signs of coolant loss anywhere else.
                  Biscuit

Blue - 77' Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                  X