• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teardrop74
    232 I6
    • Apr 15, 2011

Building a Sister

Hey everyone, I have been lurking around on here for a while and decided to post a fun project I have been working on in conjunction with my FSJ build. This is not my first time building a custom ground off trailer for a vehicle so if you have any questions or are interested in having one built by all means drop me a line and I will share my knowledge.

What you are looking at took about 8 months to build; it is 100% custom ground up build that I did....all frame work and wood work. The Waggy as I call it is built on a 5'x8' 2x2 tube frame with Grand Wagoneer suspension parts and a 3500lb dexter axle.

The entire shell was designed in sketchup and then cut and carved from marine grade materials an anodized aluminum. The exterior has to get its aluminum skin yet so what you are seeing is about 90% complete.

Amenities include: Full A/C and heater, onboard compressed air, solar PV panel, 30A and 15A power charging service. A/V out the ying yang including two TV's Xbox, 3000 Watt Stereo system with Apple TV and its own Wifi system. Full beer tap system, cooler storage, whiskey bar and humidor and storage.

The entire back opens remotly with linear actuators as well as the beer tap raises out automatically from the countertop. It is a man-cave away from home. Anyways Ill post some more up but thought everyone might get a kick out of the project. It has matching wheels as my Wag and will have matching fenders as well as a few other FSJ items.

The last image is the last one I built for a 1974 VW Beetle

Regards,
    Kris
  • j10jim
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 11, 2003

That looks great, and I love the Bug one. So what do you figure it costs to make that one? I have always wanted a small teardrop to pull behind my J10/20. Maybe something with a lift kit to give it some ground clearance and match the truck.

Again a great job!
    1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• teardrop74
      232 I6
      • Apr 15, 2011

It is completely dependent on amenities; straight materials is about 5,000 for frame body and standard items. This one is about 16,000 with everything but keep in mind that is SS hardware and top of the line everything. The VW one cost about 8,000 finished. But it is a great project to have fun with and be ready to answer where you bought it from because everyone loves to ask about them.
      Regards,
      Kris

Comment

• capdaddy222
        258 I6
        • Aug 16, 2008

does that tap periscope up and down?

you have to post a video of that! nice project
        86 Grand Wagoneer Work in Progress
        360 Toasted TF727 NP228
        4" Lift
        33x12.5x15" tires
        "Shaggy" the Waggy

Comment

• teardrop74
          232 I6
          • Apr 15, 2011

Yes the tap telescopes up and down so you can stow it if your running a normal cooler instead of the keg system. The whole back end moves.....the door, the TV and the tap. Just some simple linear actuators and some patience and it allows you to stow away devices on the fly.

It's not just to be fancy; the previous builds I have done I used hydroshocks but they are a real pain with the stored energy when they collapsed. These do not put any additional pressure on the door when they not moving and much more sturdy in situations like wind.
          Regards,
          Kris

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Nice work! I considered a small teardrop to drag behind a sidecar outfit. Really liked the "little guy" brand with the single bunk and galley in the back. For me bunk space isn't a concern, I'm used to boats. Nor is a TV/stereo set up remotely important. A good size camp galley shelf counter top(some storage compartments) is a higher priority along with light weight. Not so much for pulling but rather braking. If your pencil ever wanders into the MC teardrop design realm and you can keep it at 500lb or less unloaded PM me. Again, nice work.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• BGW
              350 Buick
              • Jan 02, 2009

That thing is totally dope! Nice job! The matching turbine wheels are a really nice touch.
              1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• capdaddy222
                258 I6
                • Aug 16, 2008

Originally posted by teardrop74
                Just some simple linear actuators and some patience and it allows you to stow away devices on the fly..
                Do you mind posting a link to your source for those linear actuators? I have lots of ideas that could use a push.

capdaddy
                86 Grand Wagoneer Work in Progress
                360 Toasted TF727 NP228
                4" Lift
                33x12.5x15" tires
                "Shaggy" the Waggy

Comment

• KJ Ryu
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 06, 2008

With brow!!! I like!
                  Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
                  1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
                  1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
                  1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Originally posted by Mars
                  One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil

Comment

• teardrop74
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 15, 2011

Linear actuators:

Progressive Automations is your primary source for high quality electric linear actuators, table lifts and accessories. Same-day shipping. 18 Month Warranty.

Thank you for all the nice comments. I'll hopefully have some finished pictures in a few weeks.

In regards to lightweight models those are very simple to make especially if you stay to a 4'x8' trailer platform. This unit was designed to show the maximum amenities you could implement....and is my marketing platform at car shows; tailgates and conferences. I get a lot of "could you do this?" type questions and decided to build one so maxed out there wasn't much left to imagination.
                    Regards,
                    Kris

Comment

• jdaniel83
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 26, 2008

That is awesome! Wish I had your creativity/fabrication skills, I would love to be able to build something like that to pull behind my '89. Very nice work!
                      '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.

Comment

• teardrop74
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 15, 2011

Here are a few more of the last one I built:

Regards,
                        Kris

Comment

• teardrop74
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 15, 2011

Pretty much finished with the build other than some small trim. I will roll it out with my waggy as soon as possible so everyone can see them together. Thank you everyone for the great comments and praise.

Regards,
                          Kris

Comment

• Strode
                            1st Chair, Cowbell
                            • Nov 08, 2011

Nice work. I'd like to see more details about how you built everything.
                            Brad
                            (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• teardrop74
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 15, 2011

Thank you; if you have any questions feel free to ask. I have built several of them and am pretty knowledgeable on the construction and materials used to make one. This one was a little over the top but I wanted to see if I could make a rolling man cave.
                              Regards,
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X