• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1stpalindrone
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 05, 2018

Got the bug..

So I've wanted a Jeep forever and two days and I'm finally at a point in life where the timing and need are right. I thought I was set on an XJ until catching glimpse of an old Wagon.

The FSJ crave has set in! So in general speaking, bs'n or even random thoughts, and I looked around the site, what's the best 2nd vehicle, weekend warrior, bad weather day FSJ?

I'll use it in ice and snow, week camping trips, 4wd forest trails etc. Maybe pull a trailer..

I really dig the Cherokee Chief body in 4d, good yrs and/or engine/driveline combos?

Thanks in advance for anything ya got!
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

"The best" is highly subjective. If in good condition they all do fine in bad weather, on forest roads etc. The more luxo they are more electrical issues you'll have. These are "hobby" cars and will take a time/money/labor commitment. If you have to take it to a shop every time you have a glitch it'll be a serious money pit. If you do your own wrenching...not too bad. The 80 and later are the most luxo equipped but likely least overall miles. Oh and they "all" get terrible gas mileage by todays standards. Expect 10 town-12hwy mpgs. That's just part of the deal, ya gotta live with. They all came with pretty good running gear for their period if maintained well. Pick a model you really like and get the best, closest to stock condition one you can find/afford. Stay away from lifted and modified. Too many of those have been incorrectly done and will be lotsa time and money getting it right again. In any case expect a lot of down time on repairs and chasing parts. These are maint intensive rigs so start with a good one. Do your homework on model years and running gear then decide what you can deal with. Did I mention these are hobby cars that require a commitment?
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

FSJ Bug

WELCOME,...

Obviously,....

the main thing to do if you dont want to work on them constantly

is to find one that has had an easy life.

i know a lot depends on what you want to spend

but in a nut shell, if you get one that has not been thrashed

you are way ahead,.... buy the opposite, and the results will be opposite.

if you have never had a vehicle with a carb, you may get frustrated,...

so fuel injection is a nice addition at approx 1 to 2 thousand dollars.

all in all, FSJ's are not too bad to own,....best wishes with your FSJ endeavor.

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• Probesport
        232 I6
        • Apr 15, 2015

Hi there and welcome. I picked up my Grand Wagoneer as a winter and whatnot car and it's been fantastic, however I've done a lot of maintenance. My goal is for a stone reliable, consistent, drives like a new Grand Cherokee, and I can take it across the country vehicle .. it's a long and arduous process.

Fuel injection really made it much nicer for the winter and with that adding remote start and heated seats. A basic EFI kit using a GM TBI is a fairly simple task, but a well tuned carb will surely get you by just as well.

You are going to spend about $5-6k (and more) to get what you want in an FSJ whether you spend it upfront or pay-as-you-go. I am sure I will get some flack for this, but if you are buying a regular FSJ that's not been a full restore, you'll more than likely have better luck in a Cherokee for an out of the box running vehicle. All of these big Jeeps are way outdated and have seen varying levels of maintenance in their lifetime.

These cars, like all classics are a labor of love and if you aren't very mechanically skilled would not be a great daily driver choice. I do not mean to turn you off at all, I have one and will buy more - in fact I have had all sorts of Jeeps, but its hard to recommend over an XJ if your goal is just a strong daily that will get you anywhere.

If you really want one, go for it just know it's now a project and not a turnkey DD - unless you are ready to pay for one. Dollar for dollar it's a bad choice, and one I'd make over and over again.
        Ken S.
        Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
        Megasquirt EFI
        : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
        Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
        Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
          304 AMC
          • May 01, 2004

for what it is worth, the 76 cherokee with good quadra-trac was about the best snow and ice rig I ever had. That thing was our default when the roads were crap and we needed to get to the store or wherever.
          One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
          http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
          95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
          50 CJ3A
          77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• 1stpalindrone
            230 Tornado
            • Sep 05, 2018

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the heads ups, etc..

I'm in love with the Chiefs but knew that most all the FSJs came with pretty reliable and capable driveline combos so I started looking into the Wagons and now realize that it'll be tough to find one without rust or extreme mods so the hunt is on.

I don't have space to store or work on a project right yet, maybe within a year, that's the plan so I might just keep on saving and wait for the right deal~

Thanks again for all the input guys

Comment

Working...
            X