• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • razorgrill
    232 I6
    • Jan 03, 2010

AMC 360 - MC 2100 - CHOKE

So apparently, in my newbie carb rebuild, I screwed up the choke. Electric or vacuum? More to come on that one. I have it running half decent for a change.

Issue was, that Jeep just would NOT start when it was cold. It would take starter fluid to start, ran decent, but not like a "new" truck.

Reading up on why my dang Jeep ran like garBOJ, I discovered this magical thing called choke. Make your jokes gentlemen...

Still has a hesitation, NOW it smells too rich after winding the coil, ran in the air/fuel screws, curbed the idle... its running decent again, but not "new."

Ill post if she starts up tmrw without starter fluid.

Again... make your jokes. I am a newbie at the carburetor thing. Learning as I go. If you have ANY inputs, fire away! I am one of those military guys that grew up in constructive criticism.

On the other hand, training exercise with Tucson SWAT today was pretty fun!!
    Matt N.
    Tucson, AZ

1978 Jeep Cherokee S (Fully Documented)

2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (Sold) (Lowered 3" R 2" F, K&N Intake, Header Back Alien Head II Exhaust, TRE Mod, Power Commander w/ Race Map, VP Race Fuel)

2013 Nissan Maxima (1 Owner, New Car Smell)
  • razorgrill
    232 I6
    • Jan 03, 2010

Still can't figure out choke.. Butterfly opens up "two hashes" after the last hash on lean. Any ideas?

Figured out why it wouldn't start without carb spray.. Had the spring before diaphragm, on accelerator pump. FML.

Runs 200% better now! Just needs a slight timing adjustment, and very very slight carb adjustment.
    Matt N.
    Tucson, AZ

2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (Sold) (Lowered 3" R 2" F, K&N Intake, Header Back Alien Head II Exhaust, TRE Mod, Power Commander w/ Race Map, VP Race Fuel)

Comment

• lycanthrope
      258 I6
      • Mar 26, 2007

You shouldn't need too much choke in Tucson in July. Do you have an electric choke and/or the choke stove hooked up? When setting the choke(step on the gas pedal with the cold engine off), the choke plate should close completely, and then when starting, the choke pulloff vacuum motor should pull the plate open about 1/8". As the engine heats up, the choke spring opens the plate fully. You can make adjustments each morning to get it dialed in.

How is yours operating?
      tommy
      '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
      '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
      '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
      '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
      '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

Some of the new replacement choke thermostats have the spring installed backwards, ie: the choke closes tighter as the engine warms up. It causes some major issues, as you might imagine....
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Mike D
          350 Buick
          • Jul 29, 2002

where is a good place to hook up an elect choke ...

I found a similar MC carb in the junk yard .. don't know what it is ... but he thing fits on my MC 2100 ... is it direct 12V ??
          64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
          50 truck
          63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
          And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• razorgrill
            232 I6
            • Jan 03, 2010

Im still having issues with the choke. I noticed a couple times I installed the spring backwards. Choke plate closed after driving home.. bout 20 min drive. Pop it open for adjustments the punch myself in the face..

My biggest problem is lining up the choke plate to the proper setting, in 95+ with the spring wound out if you will. Closest I can get to a half @$$ functional choke is last notch on the choke on the lean. Im at my wits end..

However... go ahead and laugh! I discovered the reason why the exhaust what like agent orange to my eyes and nose, was because of timing! Not the carb adjustment. I dinked with the carb for an eternity.. still smelled rich. I happen to read something about AMC exhaust that smells so rich it could gag a maggot, and I turned the distributor (clockwise/vacuum hose coming close to the belt) and whattya know! No more suicidal fumes.

Choke... I wish I could figure it out! Just want to be able to start her up without having to feather the pedal.

Getting burnt out digging under the hood after driving home. Hotter than donut grease under there in summer time!
            Last edited by razorgrill; 10-03-2013, 02:46 AM.
            Matt N.
            Tucson, AZ

Comment

• Mike D
              350 Buick
              • Jul 29, 2002

isnt there an adjustment under the choke that opens the lower butterfly when cold ... mine does. ( i think thats what its for)

If its 90+ when you adjust the choke ... with the motor cold , id say set the upper butterfly (the one that does the chokeing) to 2/3 open ....

Its highs here of 90deg and i think iv got mine set with too much choke .... tried to start it here a few minuets ago ( its 78 now) and was not easy to start -- least i dont need starting fluid !!!

Come winter this NEEDS to be set for this area -- 10Deg is not a good time to be messen with choke ....
              64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
              50 truck

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
              And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• razorgrill
                232 I6
                • Jan 03, 2010

I'll tell you what there is!! A Howell Fuel Injection kit in my future.

#donewithcarbs
                Matt N.
                Tucson, AZ

Comment

• razorgrill
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 03, 2010

Going back in time, I realize the some of my Carb problems were actually related to vaccuum. After I got the vaccuum issues worked out because of the heater problem, I had to retweak the carb adjustment and the choke. She runs so so so much better now! No hesitations. Starts up with very minor throttle feathering when cold. Hope this thread helps someone roaming the internet trying to figure out there MC 2100.
                  Matt N.
                  Tucson, AZ

Comment

• Mike D
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 29, 2002

Mine starts fine in 30deg temps ....

I kinda wish i had some other vac stuff that worked ... like the heat riser from the exhaust manifold .... it dosent have any temp controlled vacuum switch .... so it dosent pull warm off of it when cold ...
                    64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                    50 truck

Addendum:

Comment

• razorgrill
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 03, 2010

Come to think of it, mine either. I have those Doug Thorley Tri Y's. Doesnt pull diddly when cold. Not sure if I want to go back to a manifold for that feature though.

I have the factory aircleaner, and there is a vac line running to the flapper door. Im assuming this is what youre referring too.

Mike, I may have to take mine by your place and have you warm over the carb to get it to start like yours. LOL
                      Last edited by razorgrill; 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM.
                      Matt N.
                      Tucson, AZ

Comment

• Mike D
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 29, 2002

Here's my carb with the O(riginal)O(wner's) wire repair for the choke issue ...

64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                        50 truck

Addendum:

Comment

• razorgrill
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 03, 2010

If it works, it works!

This pic just reminded me that I need a clear fuel filter.
                          Matt N.
                          Tucson, AZ

Comment

• Mike D
                            350 Buick
                            • Jul 29, 2002

Problem was ... it didnt work really ...

oo had it SOOOOooooo rich to get it to start ... it almost poured gas out the tailpipe !!!!
                            64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                            50 truck

Addendum:

Comment

• Mike D
                              350 Buick
                              • Jul 29, 2002

settings

Ok .. so on the top left is the choke setting screw ...

the choke flapper shouldn't be fully shut but have like a pencil lead's gap ...

64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                              50 truck

Addendum:

Comment

Working...
                              X