• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • []V[]AXX
    350 Buick
    • Nov 10, 2009

J-truck roof noise

Without getting into the old Brow vs No-brow flame war, I was wondering if any of you had issues with your roof flexing in and out. My '79 J-10 didn't look like it had any roof damage, but it can be pushed in pretty easy, and of course, when running with the window down, it pushes out and makes a bang. When pushed out, it has no dents or creases, so I'm assuming it's a design thing. I have no headliner yet, but will have one soon. My question is, has anyone come up with some kind of brace to support the roof, and prevent this flex? I'm looking to build something soon, then I'm gonna use some sound deadener pads on it, and finish it off.

I'll probably end up making an overhead console out of whatever I come up with, but I wanted to see some pics or descriptions of ideas you folks may have had. Thanks for any input you can provide.
  • []V[]AXX
    350 Buick
    • Nov 10, 2009

wow, not showing up for some reason...

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

That roof popping in annoying and scary at times.. My 79 did the same thing.
      I don't remember my 81 ever doing it. Maybe because of what you don't want to get into .. Just kidding but my 77 hasn't popped like that either and I never remember Dad's 76 doing it.

I wonder if a roof support from a wag or chero will fit up there. Might be a good thing to check.
      Tom Gibson
      1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
      1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
      1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
      2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

they had a piece of foam on top of the headliner to prevent this. some self adhesive duct insulation will quiet it down too.
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Mikel
          • Aug 09, 2000

I have no headliner in my '63 and I never noticed the roof vibrating more than the rest of the truck
          1969 M715 6x6
          1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• The PIG Smith
            King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

The FlowMaster Series 40 Muffler that turns out in front of the load E tires that sings down the highway
            prevents me from hearing any cab roof noises of my J20
            Bryan Smith
            2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
            - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
            1986 Jeep J20
            - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
            1982 Jeep J10
            - Has become a Long Term Project.
            1981 Jeep J20
            - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
            1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
            - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
            ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
            Originally posted by Lindel
            Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• []V[]AXX
              350 Buick
              • Nov 10, 2009

The truck had no headliner when I got it. I guess it's safe to say that at sometime in the past the roof on this truck had something dropped on it. The first time it popped out was on my first test drive after reinstalling the drive train. I got up to about 40 mph, and BANG, I almost ruined the brand new seat with that one...

I'll check on the waggy roof brace. That would save me some time. I'll have to check on the duct insulation too. The Damplifier tiles that I was planning on using are pretty expensive, and peel and seal is not a comparable alternative. Thanks for the input.

Comment

• FSJK
                258 I6
                • Feb 12, 2009

just bumping this old thread to see if anyone had any solution? mine gets LOUD above 63ish mph.

just ordered Boom Mat hoping that might quiet it down a little but wondering if any type of brace from a Waggy might fit help?

Comment

• navegare
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 29, 2005

Originally posted by FSJK
                  just bumping this old thread to see if anyone had any solution? mine gets LOUD above 63ish mph.

just ordered Boom Mat hoping that might quiet it down a little but wondering if any type of brace from a Waggy might fit help?
                  As mentioned, what kept it from happening in my Wagoneer (it would give a great pop when going from the searing Texas sun into the car wash) was applying one of the self adhesive duct insulation rolls from Home Depot to the roof. It's a roll of maybe 1/8" thick gray foam with reflective covering on one side and glue on the other, maybe 12 inches wide, had enough to cover both the areas above the front and rear seats. I think it was around $20.00 USD
                  1989 Grand Wagoneer
                  1978 F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special, Extended Cab, 12 Valve Cummins turbo diesel, 47RE Automatic, Dana 60's, 4x4, DNE2 Auxiliary Transmission
                  1980 J20 - Bringing it Back to Life

Comment

• []V[]AXX
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 10, 2009

I ended up using a sound deadener called "Roadkill" from Stinger Audio. Think Dynamat Extreme, but thicker, with better foil, for less money. Since I put that on, I don't have the bang anymore, but I still haven't fabbed a brace. I get to drive my truck so little, that I haven't done much to it lately.

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
                      258 I6
                      • Nov 06, 2009

I installed a roof brace in my j-20 from a cherokee that I parted out. The thick heavy stock piece of rubber comes unglued and makes the headliner invert (sag down). When I installed my new to me headliner not only did I install the extra brace, but I installed the wiring from the dome light from the donor also for installing a nice dome light at a later date (and to hold the headliner up).The headliner I got was already inverted so I let it sit for a long while with a bunch of weights on it to hopefully make it take shape. That only worked for a few weeks and it popped down, so the dome light will also be a center support for the headliner.

Comment

• FSJK
                        258 I6
                        • Feb 12, 2009

Thanks for the info guys.

After seeing a product on Trucks or one of those "DIY" shows, I ordered up some BoomMat. Covered most of the roof in the truck, minus about 6"x4' but it's already a significant difference in feel to it. Haven't driven it since I'm experiencing some electrical gremlin with my starter but a tap to the roof now goes 'thud' instead of the tinny sound before.

I am either going to order more BoomMat, or a similar product online and probably do the rest of the cab. I noticed behind the seat, the back of the cab could use some noice/vibration reduction also. Might do most of the cab/firewall/floor, too.

Looking forward to driving it again to see how it worked but I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty good difference based on the feeling of it.

Comment

• kiharaikido
                          232 I6
                          • May 04, 2011

I used almost an entire 50 sqft roll of FatMat when I did the floor of my J10. I also did the wall behind the seat and small section under the hood to see if it would hold. I also did the roof and doors but I used a different roll for them. It takes a lot of material to cover everything, but it really helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X