• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blt2krl
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Apr 03, 2001

High Steer and Tie rod question

I'm going to be ordering my high steer arms from Poison Spider Customs here pretty soon and have some questions. First which is better for longevity and durability Hiem joints or Tie rod ends. What size tierod ends are the factory GM dana 60 setup versus our SJ's dana 44 setup. I thought I had read some were that the are the same 7/8 tierod setup. I'm leaning toward the tierod verson of the high steer arms because I like the ability to grease and mantian the tie rods. Any insight or opinions will be help full.
    Paul Hartman
    79 waggoneer
    AMC360/TH-400/203/205
    DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
    39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
    www.cbioffroadfab.com
    WWW.PLANET4X4.NET
  • dnixon
    360 AMC
    • Jul 28, 2002

This is just second hand.. but from what I have heard Tie Rod ends have better longevity... and less likely to fail... But Heims are easier to set up.. its a give and take.. I am not sure on the size but i have only heard them called Big Chevy Tie Rod ends.. probably doesn't help.. good luck on your purchase...
    All It Takes Is Money.
    I'm the reason why you can only have Jeeps for Avatars. You're welcome.

Comment

• KYJ10
      360 AMC
      • May 05, 2002

I am currently finishing up mine. I ran the single and double. The dana 44 drag link end fits perfect. I don't know if there are any diff in the tie rods. Sorry. But the drag link is a good fit.
      Starting to miss the addiction!

Comment

• JeepKahn
        350 Buick
        • Mar 21, 2002

The rod end part #s are ES2010R & ES2010L, they came on the Dodge W ton up trucks, they are 7/8" by 18 thread, and are right and left threaded respectively... BTW, the part #'s are TRW part #'s, available at any TRW dealer...
        \"Smoke\'m, They\'ll Stick\"<br /><br />Got Heat Problems???Want Free HP???<br />Check This Out!!!<br /><a href=\"http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=024412\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=024412</a><br /><br />Jeremy Kahn [email protected]<br />79 J10Honcho \"SickPuppy\"<br />360,Th400,D20,[email protected],35x12.50s <br />Mobi-Arc on board welder<br /><br />Winston-Salem,NC<br /><br />!!!Will Weld for Gas!!!

Comment

• Desert Beast
          360 AMC
          • Oct 05, 2002

in my understanding, hiems are better in that they last longer (if properly taken care of), and can offer more angular movement. and i believe that they are stronger then ball joints. although hiems are designed to use a mounting similar to spring hangers, (read, metal bracket on both sides of the hiem) and with steering that?s not the case. But I know many people that use hiems and have never had a problem.
          my .02
          If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is.

Comment

• seadog
            258 I6
            • Mar 11, 2003

In relation to this subject,does anyone know how long the "longer sleeve" will have to be on a widetrack with high steer?Parts Mike told me to measure and he will make and ship one but that puts me down on my ride for over a week.I will be using a 6 inch kit w/3" hanger spacers and blocks.So 9 all together.

Comment

• Wagillac
              258 I6
              • Nov 07, 2002

From what I have read Tie rod ends last longer because they are sealed from dirt and you can grease them.
              Heims can be stronger then TREs when mounted in double-shear. They also can have a better misalignment angle when the corect spacers are used, but 1 ton TREs have a pretty good misalignment angle. There also can be a big difference in quality and durability between different Heims, also a lot of difference in $$$.

If you havent already done search on pirate and read the article in the tech dept, you should because there is some good info there if you weed throught the crap as usual. He went with heims and eventualy wished he had went with TREs for the cheapest vs durable.

Evan
              1995 YJ 44/8.8 on 35"
              1974 Wagillac NT D-44s Caddy 500 SOA (on hold)

Comment

I would go with tie rod ends, Paul...
                Todd
                www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                X