• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stratman
    232 I6
    • Jul 20, 2002

Hello From a Previous Owner

Hi all,
    I owned a 1977 Cherokee Chief for nearly 30 years. It was built and ran well but I sold it in 2010. I've started looking for another but so far, haven't found anything that didn't require a frame off restoration. I currently have a mildly built 2002 Tundra extended cab and recently acquired a 2018 AMG E63s wagon. Both great cars but I truly miss that Jeep out of all the cars I have owned. Anyway, I used to post a bit and did a lot of the work on my Jeep myself which was fun back in the day. If anyone knows of a good Wagoneer or Cherokee that isn't too beat down for a decent price please let me know.
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Welcome back!

Here's what I see on Craigslist around here (SoCal), recently. If you want a decent deal on a driver, be ready with at least $4k in cash. They pop up occasionally for a good deal like that but you have to act fast. 95% of FSJs that show up on CL around here either failed smog miserably, have huge DMV backed fees (from a failed smog years ago), or the previous owner is not willing to get it smogged so when one is smog ready, it's price is relatively high.

My definition of a decent driver: smog legal (with either a current smog check in the last 60 days or the buyer smogs), current registration or Planned non-op, complete (windows, doors, transfer case, A/C, etc), interior does not wreak of smoke, pee, rodents, or mildew, fluid leaks are a few drips per night or less, wiring (both under dash and under hood) are not rats nests, and it comes with a a key that works. I think a rig like that is worth about $4k around here. It may have some rust in the rear quarters or rockers, driver seat is usually pretty torn up and the A/C rarely works at that price though (WTs rear flares are pretty much ALWAYS rusted so expect that). G-wags usually have power window and door lock issues so expect that.

The best deals I see are usually on G-Wags. They are usually priced in the stratosphere but occasionally a decent one shows up for a decent price. Cherokees and J trucks show up and are hit or miss. Smog is the killer around here but we see ALOT less rust than others.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
    X