• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 70sWagoneers
    232 I6
    • Oct 06, 2005

Fuel Float: How works and how test?

I'm refinishing a 70's style gas tank and wanted to know how the fuel float works electrically? I would like to test its operation before I put it back on since I can't reach it once it's installed on my truck. How would I test this float unit. From what I've found it is the 1970-1979 style unit WITHOUT the integral fuel pickup. http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/par...ailed/744.html . When I pulled the tank off there was no wire attached so I have no prior history to tell of the units operation. And also I don't know the status of the dash cluster (the speedo works at least) so I've got to start somewhere and since I have the tank out. Thanks.
    1965 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer Custom w/327 Vigilante, TH400, and Tulsa PTO winch. All original. All broken.
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Electrically it's a variable resistor, aka rheostat. The resistance changes as the fuel level falls. The usual failures are that the resistance element goes open, or that the float gets a hole in it and sinks. On the later models, the expected resistances are given in the FSM. A single wire goes to the post on the top, the circuit goes to the wiper contacting the resistor and the resistor is grounded through contact with the tank. The wiper moves along the resistor as the float rises and lowers.

Test it using the resistance scale on your multimeter.
    Last edited by tgreese; 11-07-2006, 11:32 AM.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

The specs for the 70-79 era is 73 ohms at Empty and 10 ohms at Full.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• 70sWagoneers
        232 I6
        • Oct 06, 2005

Just attach the ground to anywhere on the tank (bare metal) or does it need to be near the sending unit?
        1965 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer Custom w/327 Vigilante, TH400, and Tulsa PTO winch. All original. All broken.

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by 70sWagoneers
          Just attach the ground to anywhere on the tank (bare metal) or does it need to be near the sending unit?
          The whole tank is grounded, but you'll want to take the sender out of the tank and look at it. Test from the post to the metal base that touches the tank, then move the float arm. IIRC there's a locking ring and an o-ring under the sender.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Rogue
            360 AMC
            • Nov 17, 2001

if you use an analog ohmmeter to test as you move your float through its paces the needle on the ohmmeter should steadily climb if it spikes or drops as you move the float you might as well throw the send unit in the trash - IIRC the 10/70 is a common Ford fuel sender rating.
            Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• 70sWagoneers
              232 I6
              • Oct 06, 2005

Zeroed my multimeter and tested the resistance. I got about 23 to 90ohms with no spikes. Good? Bad?

Comment

• jtrain
                232 I6
                • Oct 09, 2006

Connections At the Top of the Fuel Sending Unit?

When replacing the fuel sending unit in my 89 Grand Wagoneer the tab at the top of the unit that inserts to a female electrical connector broke off with the old unit. There are two connections at the top, one is a post with a cap that fits over it, the other is the tab with a female connector that slides over it. Anyone know what this tab is for? Is the post the grounding wire and the tab connector the signal for the fuel gauge?
                1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• 83 Wag limited 360
                  230 Tornado
                  • Dec 19, 2007

Originally posted by jtrain
                  When replacing the fuel sending unit in my 89 Grand Wagoneer the tab at the top of the unit that inserts to a female electrical connector broke off with the old unit. There are two connections at the top, one is a post with a cap that fits over it, the other is the tab with a female connector that slides over it. Anyone know what this tab is for? Is the post the grounding wire and the tab connector the signal for the fuel gauge?
                  Did you ever find out which connector was ground?

Comment

Working...
                  X