• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rihahn
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 21, 2007

It's been a little over a year...

Well, I've had my '76 Chero for a bit over a year now.

First off I'd like to thank everyone on the forums here. I don't post as much as I should but I do read almost everything posted here. The site has been an amazing source of information and has answered every question I've had so far (and allowed me to determine what I could do and what to have a professional do).

--

In November of 2007 I bought my current addiction from a guy in North Denver for $2000... What I got was a partially finished trail runner with good body panels but needing a new bed and rear wheel tubs.

The drive train consists of a 360, T-18 4-speed with granny first gear, Dana-20 transfer case with a 2.72:1 low range, Dana-44 differentials with 3.73:1 gears front and back. Other extras include junkyard bucket seats, a full roll cage, half finished pipe bumpers, integrated rock rails, clearance cut fenders, 2" body lift, on-board air with 5 gallon tank, and a dual battery setup with full isolation.

I've had a few Wagoneers over the years starting with an '83 Grand and later a '74 - but both were pretty mild and were my daily drivers. The '76 was purchased entirely as a weekend toy... So I had big plans for the old Cherokee.

The first thing to do was get plates - which of course means getting smog checked.

I took the Jeep over to the local test house and while it passed chemistry just fine, the lack of an actual smog pump meant I didn't pass...

So I looked up a good mechanic here in Colorado via the forums here and found Charlie at JeePerformance, and had a thermactor put on the Jeep.

The second trip to the smog folks didn't work out so well either - the valve seals decided to fail just as I got to the bay for the test, and the rolling clouds of blue smoke meant I failed again. So back to Charlie's I go and get a new set of valve seals. Later I was able to put collector plates on the Jeep and not have to worry about smog pumps and such 'till 2013.

Anyways, I had to shelf the project for the summer last year due to a cost of living change (new house), but since December I've been back at it.

Last month I put a thousand dollars worth of tires on it to replace the dry rotted 33 BFG MTs... The new tires are 33 Big-O 'Bigfoot XTs', which seem to be doing quite well.

Last week the 2bbl and stack of adapters that the guy I bought the Jeep from used to make it fit on the spreadbore intake on the 360, as well as the intake itself, were removed and replaced with an Edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm 4bbl. The work was done by JeePerformance in Englewood Colorado (shameless plug for a great mechanic!)...

This week I had Scott at AA Performance Muffler, also in Englewood (another shameless plug!) put in a new exhaust from the manifolds back.

The 360 is such a nice sounding motor when it sings through 3" pipe and a Magnaflow.

Anyways, that's where I am at the moment. The next items up for replacement are all of the bushings and the shocks. At my current rate I'll get around to working on the body and interior next year.

Again, thanks all for sharing your knowledge and helping keep these great beasts alive.

2010 Wrangler Rubi (Still earning its name...)
    Standing on Higher Ground - an off-road adventure
  • suzq044
    304 AMC
    • Dec 23, 2008

I have to be the one to say it..
    PICS!!
    Max²: 1964 Jeep Panel Wagoneer
    Planning Stages

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.

Comment

• Justin Kerns
      350 Buick
      • Feb 24, 2004

Welcome from another Denverite! I'm trying to get my Cherokee through emissions so I feel your pain.....
      Justin
      79 Cherokee S 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• lasinvegas
        232 I6
        • Dec 09, 2007

It sounds like that thing changed engines somewhere along the way since it left my hands, but you might check the transfer case. I put a tera low kit in the transfer case that was in it when I sold it. Those bfg's were bought in vegas back in '99 so I think they were worth the money. I'm going to have to look for the pictures of that thing when I sold it. The tubework got hacked up somewhere along the way.

Comment

• lasinvegas
          232 I6
          • Dec 09, 2007

Here's the only picture I could still find. Its the yellow one on the end
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lasinvegas; 02-24-2009, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Rihahn
            230 Tornado
            • Nov 21, 2007

Originally posted by lasinvegas
            Here's the only picture I could still find. Its the yellow one on the end
            Yep, that looks like it.

Here's a photo from the other day, complete with a thick coat of mag chloride...

As you can see, somewhere along the line it got a shaker-can paint job and half the stinger cut off. And I'm guessing there was a kid involved somewhere as it's covered in stickers for parts it doesn't have... Well, it does have Edelbrock and magnaflow parts in it now.

So far everything I've done has been engine and driveline, but I have plans to create a new bed and wheel tubs for it as soon as I get all the important parts fixed... The body still keeps most of the water off, so it'll be okay for another year.

I'll have Charlie crack open the transfer case and take a look when it's down there getting the suspension worked over in a couple weeks.

It's an awesome truck though. Even in its weakened state I took it to the top of Lookout Mountain in Glenwood Springs and up on Badger Mountain with no issues at all - well, other than the 2bbl on it making it completely gutless.

Comment

• Rihahn
              230 Tornado
              • Nov 21, 2007

Originally posted by Justin Kerns
              Welcome from another Denverite! I'm trying to get my Cherokee through emissions so I feel your pain.....
              Thanks!

It's worth the hassle... Once you get your papers, drop the $120 on the collector tags which will smog-proof your truck for seven years.

Comment

• lasinvegas
                232 I6
                • Dec 09, 2007

I used to have the service records for that thing from new until I got rid of it. Spent a large protion of its life belonging to a DEA guy. That rig saw a lot of trails in Nevada. Used to load up 40 gallons of fuel and 20 gallons of water and head off into the middle of nowhere for a week or two with her. Need a 715 instead?

Comment

• gte901m
                  350 Buick
                  • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by Rihahn
                  It's worth the hassle... Once you get your papers, drop the $120 on the collector tags which will smog-proof your truck for seven years.
                  What do you do after 7 year? Thats retarded if you can get a collector tag for 7 years without smog and then have to smog it.
                  Where are we going and why am I in this basket?

Comment

• lasinvegas
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 09, 2007

Originally posted by gte901m
                    What do you do after 7 year? Thats retarded if you can get a collector tag for 7 years without smog and then have to smog it.
                    You have to pass the emmissions every year at $20 a pop, plus whatever your yearly registration is. OR you do the emmissions and then spend $120 on 7yr tags with no emmissions until the tags run out. Sounds like a smart financial decision to me.

Comment

• Justin Kerns
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 24, 2004

Are you guys sure? I thought collector tags were good for 5 years, and you never have to smog it after the first time for as long as you own the vehicle. That was the story for my 76 Honcho. Unless they changed it???
                      Justin
                      79 Cherokee S 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• Rihahn
                        230 Tornado
                        • Nov 21, 2007

Originally posted by gte901m
                        Ya gotta pass first, then ya get the collector tags.

When the 7 years are up you bolt the thermactor back on it, dump a case of drygas in it, run it up and down the highway till it's good and hot, pull a vacuum line off the intake, and pray it passes again.

Comment

• Rihahn
                          230 Tornado
                          • Nov 21, 2007

Are you guys sure? I thought collector tags were good for 5 years, and you never have to smog it after the first time for as long as you own the vehicle. That was the story for my 76 Honcho. Unless they changed it???
                          If I never have to smog the thing again, I'm even happier.

I'm just going on the expiration date on the plate and figuring I'll have to get it re-checked.

I got my plates in '08 and they're good through '13 if that helps.
                          Last edited by Rihahn; 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                            • Mar 20, 2005

AFAIK, that's the way it is. They just RE-instituted the AIR program in our area. Gonna have to put the AIR pump back on this year! LOL
                            Ethan Brady
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Working...
                            X