QT Post of the Day: Part Time kit and other questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shiner2001
    350 Buick
    • Feb 19, 2008

QT Post of the Day: Part Time kit and other questions...

First off, Flint, go to the bathroom, grab a cup of coffee and get settled in so we can begin.

OK. Now that we're all here...

After doing several hours of reading about the good ol' QT, I'm worried that what I once thought (hoped) to just be a bad front driveshaft cardan joint, and then thought (hoped) to be a stretched chain, may actually be the 10 spline shaft wearing. My symptom of something being wrong is some fairly scary clunking on most anything other than the mildest of accelerations. I haven't drained the QT to check the chain yet since I don't have any new fluid to put in. I shopped around for the chain and it looks like BJ's has the best deal on one, and since the part time kit needs a new one anyway, I'm going to go ahead and order that (the chain) for sure. However, I am also considering using the part time kit. For anyone that has used (and installed) one, what can you tell me about it? Is there a noticeable mileage gain? Any other advantages? This is all in a 73 Wag that will be 98% street use too, just fyi. Can the part time kit be installed without removing the whole t-case, as the chain can, or does it need to be pulled from the vehicle?

Also of note in this Jeep is that the E-drive switch is completely absent from the truck (as is the actual glovebox, of course).

Thanks in advance!
    Derek
    ----------------
    1973 Wagoneer 360
    1978 Cherokee 360
    1981 J10 360

----------------
    1964 El Camino 357
    1972 C10 454 LS6
    1979 Corvette L82
    1979 Scout II 345
    1988 YJ 4.2L
    1991 YJ 4.3L
    1990 Suburban V2500 350
    1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
    2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------
    "If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is."
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Well, I got my morning duties outa the way and fresh ground coffee steaming in my face... wazzup?

Sounds like the chain is popping on the sprockets because it is very loose. This activity can wear on the 10 spline union between the tranny and QT. Inspection will tell more. Drain and measure. Please do not pay retail on Mopar QT fluid. We would have to give you a pink shirt for that.

There are 2 varieties of MM kit. I personally don't think the 16% OD gains anything but top end. Your 73 is probably either 3.31 or 3.73 gears. Maybe there is a difference in mileage if you have 3.73. We had one in Krista's waggy a long time ago and with 3.07 gears and 32s, she had waaay long legs. We drove her on I70 and most the mountain pulls were in 2nd gear it was geared so high. I think the standard MM kit is a good but considering the QTs are so old and many worn out. The newest one is 30 years. In TX, you probably do not have much need for full time 4WD. On the other hand, if the differential is in good shape, why buy a part time kit?

You can install the MM kit with the case split in the Jeep. You drop the rear driveshaft and low range first, then the back half of the case. There is an Edrive switch for the light in the dash. It is up near the floor board on top by the inspection cover for the Edrive. That has to be removed so to get the a case bolt. The sprocket, chain and differential normally stay in the front half. If they come out with the back half, it will weigh a lot more.

Hopefully, you still have the metal vacuum lines that run from the firewall to the Edrive shifter. This Cherokee I am junking had them but they were rusted out. Using all rubber lines can be a hassle as you don't always get good vacuum to the shifter.

QTs are easy to work on. When I was 25 and owned my first one, I thought it was some black box magic.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• shiner2001
      350 Buick
      • Feb 19, 2008

6:30 am and I just laid down to go to bed, but I would have been dreaming about QT's anyway, so I might as well stay up a bit longer and just write about one, right? And although I'm not afraid to wear pink , I don't know the meaning of the word retail, so I'm safe there. Looks like BJ's is the best deal on the fluid, correct?

I'm hoping that you are right and it's just the chain, seems like that is a pretty standard fix, almost routine with a QT. I'm sickly looking forward to attempting that. And you are right on both accounts about the part time, I don't need full time here, but also, why go to the trouble and expense of changing it if it's not necessary. Probably leave it full time. One way or another, it's getting a new chain though. In your experience, how many miles should one expect to get out of a QT chain? I realize that's like asking how long a pair of shoes should last, but I really have zero frame of reference for the chain, so I'll defer to you on that one. I haven't looked to see if the hard lines are still intact, but based on the condition of the rest of the vehicle, I would venture to say they are there. There is no e-drive switch, however; is that available aftermarket? I haven't seen one, but have seen where the newer under dash switch can be used, as well as a thread someone posted about buying one from Grainger. I would actually kind of like to keep it as close to stock (looking) as possible, so I'd rather have the glovebox switch as opposed to adding one to the dash (note to self...order a glovebox). Even if they are missing, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to bend some from some straight tubing, possibly even plumbing farther with the hard line and less with the rubber than from the factory.

I guess I should go ahead and drain and check the chain, even without any fluid to add back. One way or the other, I probably shouldn't be driving till I get the new chain in. Now then if the weather would just cooperate...it's only supposed to be up in the 60's tomorrow! No worries though, 70's for the weekend, ha.

Thanks for the info Flint, I hope you enjoyed your morning coffee talk!
      Derek
      ----------------
      1973 Wagoneer 360
      1978 Cherokee 360
      1981 J10 360

----------------
      1964 El Camino 357
      1972 C10 454 LS6
      1979 Corvette L82
      1979 Scout II 345
      1988 YJ 4.2L
      1991 YJ 4.3L
      1990 Suburban V2500 350
      1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
      2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• janie
        • Aug 11, 2001

Derek, I had Flint install the MM PT kit in my QT and I absolutely loved it. I had the non OD, and nope, no difference in mileage. These rigs have the aerodynamics of a brick, so mileage is a moot issue anyway.

A good Morse chain will last a good long time as long as you take care of it and don't throttle the dog snot out of it. If your going to stay with a full time case, you can get the QT fluid from BJ's or Quadratec.

If you decide to go part-time, Dexron will be the juice of the hour.

Get that puppy drained, chain replaced and filled back up. Betchya she'll be good to go.

Check EBay for your E-drive switch.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
          Señor Jackhead
          • Aug 21, 2002

I am 30 miles from where I was when I first replied. We expected 8 degrees this morning and thank the FSM that did not happen. It was a pleasant 18 when we left home. I checked antifreeze last night at sunset, running around with a bottle of the juice topping everything off and freezing my frakking fingers off. Why do I wait until the first harsh freeze to do this anyways?

Thanks Janie. That was my first brand new MM kit install for a brick.

Derek - I have what you need for the glove box. You can get a new glovebox liner from BJs also. Plastic or cardboard? They are much easier to change out with the AC unit dropped out. With the IFSJA discount, BJs is the way to go if you are planning ahead. Not planning ahead means about $17 a quart at your friendly Mopar dealer. Pleasant dreams...
          Flint
          Ran when parked.
          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods

Comment

• SVO42
            350 Buick
            • Aug 27, 2003

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
            I am 30 miles from where I was when I first replied. We expected 8 degrees this morning and thank the FSM that did not happen.
            All hail! Arrgh!
            Bryan's vehicles at the Joplin (Full Size) Jeep Refuge:
            1988 Grand Wagoneer (on extended loan)
            1988 Grand Wagonner (tornado victim)
            1987 Grand Wagoneer (formerly mine, now my dad's, also a tornado victim)
            1994 Ford Explorer XL rollin' on 1-tons and 40s

Comment

• Gambler68
              Rabble Rouser
              • Feb 29, 2004

Been driving on my PT equipped QT for One Year exactly, with 2 wheeling trips under my belt with it. You saw (I think) how well it did in Ouray. I was absolutely thrilled with it. Locker next year

Thoughts:

absolutely no mileage gain. if anything, worse..because it's so much more fun to drive fast.

Worse in snow..well..worse compared to a FT QT..now its just like any other 4wd truck of that vintage.

Steering: NOT running in FT mode will show you just how craptastic your steering setup is, if it was craptastic to begin with. If I get pulled over for wandering over the yellow line in it, I will be using "hey it does that when I'm sober too" line. Let's hope it works.

Fun factor: way funner. :P
              1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
              1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• shiner2001
                350 Buick
                • Feb 19, 2008

So Janie, you're saying that Flint will come down and install one for me too?? That's great news, thanks Flint!!

In the spirit of fiscal responsibility, I think I am going to start with the chain replacement and see where that gets me, possibly going part time later. I really like the idea of two wheel drive on pavement, but I don't mind the full time necessarily, especially if everything is in good working order. I ordered new tail light lenses from BJ's the other day and got them put on and THAT didn't fix the problem, so I guess I'll just go for the chain now.

Concerning the glove box, I planned on going with the plastic instead of the cardboard, just seems to make sense. Am I missing anything? Flint, lemme know what you have as far as switches and I'll probably take on off of your hands. I also did like the idea of replacing with one of those two position vacuum switches from Grainger. Even though I'd be losing the "factory restoration" aspect of it, it's probably a bit more reliable (or, "reliabler") and can also be hidden wherever, including in the glove box. Heck who knows...
                Derek
                ----------------
                1973 Wagoneer 360
                1978 Cherokee 360
                1981 J10 360

----------------
                1964 El Camino 357
                1972 C10 454 LS6
                1979 Corvette L82
                1979 Scout II 345
                1988 YJ 4.2L
                1991 YJ 4.3L
                1990 Suburban V2500 350
                1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

Ummm, Janie installed it... I just built it out of a spare QT and all new parts she had drop shipped to me. I could do that for you for a pristine Cheese Grater Grille with pristine corner lights.

I will PM you pix of a good Edrive vacuum switch and mounting hardware for glovebox in the next day or so.
                  Last edited by fulsizjeep; 10-30-2009, 12:47 PM.
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.

Comment

• shiner2001
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                    Ummm, Janie installed it... I just built it out of a spare QT and all new parts she had drop shipped to me. I could do that for you for a pristine Cheese Grater Grille with pristine corner lights.

I will PM you pix of a good Edrive vacuum switch and mounting hardware for glovebox in the next day or so.
                    Ha, you're really after that grille Flint! Last night, after dark, I went out in the driveway and just flashed both blinkers back and forth so I could see how awesome the corner lights were

And that being said, I probably just took myself outta the running for any chance at that switch and glovebox, ha. If not, I appreciate it!
                    Derek
                    ----------------
                    1973 Wagoneer 360
                    1978 Cherokee 360
                    1981 J10 360

----------------
                    1964 El Camino 357
                    1972 C10 454 LS6
                    1979 Corvette L82
                    1979 Scout II 345
                    1988 YJ 4.2L
                    1991 YJ 4.3L
                    1990 Suburban V2500 350
                    1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                    2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                      Murphy's Law Poster Child
                      • Dec 03, 2003

Derek-
                      Sounds like slack in the chain. I have been told that BJ's has the QT chains on backorder and there is a wait to get them. You have my cell#, call me if ya want.
                      You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                      '88 GW
                      '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• shiner2001
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
                        Derek-
                        Sounds like slack in the chain. I have been told that BJ's has the QT chains on backorder and there is a wait to get them. You have my cell#, call me if ya want.

Just gave them a call. They had one in stock. Well, they HAD one in stock, just ordered it and some fluid.
                        Derek
                        ----------------
                        1973 Wagoneer 360
                        1978 Cherokee 360
                        1981 J10 360

----------------
                        1964 El Camino 357
                        1972 C10 454 LS6
                        1979 Corvette L82
                        1979 Scout II 345
                        1988 YJ 4.2L
                        1991 YJ 4.3L
                        1990 Suburban V2500 350
                        1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                        2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                          • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by shiner2001
                          Just gave them a call. They had one in stock. Well, they HAD one in stock, just ordered it and some fluid.
                          You suck!

'82 J10
                          '88 GW
                          '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• shiner2001
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
                            You suck!
                            Uh oh, did you need one too? I thought you might have some on hand. I guess you just missed hearing my voice. That's understandable, Sean.
                            Derek
                            ----------------
                            1973 Wagoneer 360
                            1978 Cherokee 360
                            1981 J10 360

----------------
                            1964 El Camino 357
                            1972 C10 454 LS6
                            1979 Corvette L82
                            1979 Scout II 345
                            1988 YJ 4.2L
                            1991 YJ 4.3L
                            1990 Suburban V2500 350
                            1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                            2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                              • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by shiner2001
                              Uh oh, did you need one too? I thought you might have some on hand. I guess you just missed hearing my voice. That's understandable, Sean.
                              Callin me deaf I guess I was informed wrong. No sooner did I place the order for the TC chain the fuel pump took a dump.

'82 J10
                              '88 GW
                              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Working...
                              X