• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Driftwood
    350 Buick
    • Jun 12, 2000

Removed my QuadraTrac and fuel tank

I removed my QuadraTrac BW1339 from my 79 today.

The QuadraTrac pictures are here.

Much fun.

I also removed the fuel tank.

The fuel tank pictures are here.

Equally as much fun.

Last edited by Driftwood; 06-06-2017, 05:47 AM.
    1979 Wagoneer
  • Driftwood
    350 Buick
    • Jun 12, 2000

Look closely at the fuel tank. There is a black crusty blob. Why yes, that is a patch job performed on the tank by a previous owner. It appears to have been done with a type of epoxy. Apparently a PO had drilled through the floor and accidentally penetrated the fuel tank. The repair to the fuel tank was made by "ripping" a hole in the floor, inserting a dry wall stud anchor into the tank and covering it with epoxy.

Here's a pic of the type of drywall stud anchor that was used.
    Last edited by Driftwood; 06-06-2017, 05:53 AM.
    1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
      350 Buick
      • Jun 12, 2000

The reason I removed the transfer case was to replace the diaphragm control and the Emergency Drive indicator switch.

I may have to replace the chain as well. Initial measurement indicated its stretched beyond limit.
      1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
        350 Buick
        • Jun 12, 2000

For the unbeliever's, here's the Drywall stud anchor fuel tank repair job.

Last edited by Driftwood; 06-04-2017, 03:56 PM.
        1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
          350 Buick
          • Jun 12, 2000

Here's the location and the subsequent damage made by the PO. He drilled through the floor and into the fuel tank, realized his mistake, Ripped open the floor board to hastily and lazily seal it with a anchor and epoxy.

Last edited by Driftwood; 06-06-2017, 06:03 AM.
          1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
            350 Buick
            • Jun 12, 2000

Words of wisdom.....
            When separating the transfer case from the transmission, prepare your eyeballs for the ensuing torrent of transmission fluid.
            1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
              232 I6
              • Dec 15, 2016

lol, I try really hard to always wear eye pro any time I'm under a vehicle. Too many years of dirt, grime, rust, fluids and who knows what else falling in my eyes, 90% of the time you can blink a few times and move on but sometimes that will ruin your day.

My 1339 likes to self lubricate it's exterior about as much as yours, I'm not looking forward to one day digging through all the grime to see what's underneath.. how did you go about it?
              1977 J20 w/ the 360 V8 with 304 heads formerly known as "401"....
              Edelbrock Performer, Street Demon Carb, HEI Distributor

Comment

• Driftwood
                350 Buick
                • Jun 12, 2000

I removed the tank first. The inboard bolt for the restraining strap and its retaining nut was difficult to remove. Smashed thumbnail.
                I removed all fuel lines.... with pruning shears. Removed a random glass shard from my knee.
                For the QT, I removed the seats, carpet, door sills, and tunnel cover. I spent hours admiring the scale rust and holes in the floors. A beautiful sight. In frustration, pushed over full trash can. Realized it was the neighbors.
                Disconnected rear drive line at the QT. Got sand and grime in eyes. Driveline dropped on my knee.
                Attempted to disconnect front drive line at the QT. Rolled over a finger with the creeper.
                No Joy. Removed retaining hardware at the front. Cussed.
                Removed four bolts and tried to remove QT. Too heavy. Kicked the dog.
                Removed Lo range unit by removing 5 retaining bolts around its perimeter. Lost two bolts in the grass.
                Pulled QT off 6 inch drive spline, acquired hernia, broke pinky.
                Flushed eyes of tranny fluid. You know why.
                I’m a procrastinator, good odds it’ll be finished by November…….2019.
                1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• SnowShoe
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 24, 2008

I think we ALL feel your pain brother

Comment

• Driftwood
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 12, 2000

Does anyone have any tips or experiences to share with me? I need to create a jig to properly level the transfer case and jack it back up into position and reattach it to the transmission. I'm a one person show and there are no extra hands to assist.
                    1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• hafner
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 18, 2014

This was the best thing I've read all year!

Originally posted by Driftwood
                      I removed the tank first. The inboard bolt for the restraining strap and its retaining nut was difficult to remove. Smashed thumbnail.
                      I removed all fuel lines.... with pruning shears. Removed a random glass shard from my knee.
                      For the QT, I removed the seats, carpet, door sills, and tunnel cover. I spent hours admiring the scale rust and holes in the floors. A beautiful sight. In frustration, pushed over full trash can. Realized it was the neighbors.
                      Disconnected rear drive line at the QT. Got sand and grime in eyes. Driveline dropped on my knee.
                      Attempted to disconnect front drive line at the QT. Rolled over a finger with the creeper.
                      No Joy. Removed retaining hardware at the front. Cussed.
                      Removed four bolts and tried to remove QT. Too heavy. Kicked the dog.
                      Removed Lo range unit by removing 5 retaining bolts around its perimeter. Lost two bolts in the grass.
                      Pulled QT off 6 inch drive spline, acquired hernia, broke pinky.
                      Flushed eyes of tranny fluid. You know why.
                      I?m a procrastinator, good odds it?ll be finished by November??.2019.
                      Cheers,
                      Chris Hafner

---

1978 Jeep Wagoneer 401
                      2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
                      1986 Audi Coupe GT
                      1977 Cadillac Eldorado
                      1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

[SOLD] 2002 Audi S6 Avant
                      [SOLD] 1973 Ford Gran Torino Wagon
                      [SOLD] 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

Comment

• NO6YHY
                        258 I6
                        • Jan 11, 2004

Piggybacking on this thread, does anyone know if it is alright to put two gaskets between the t-case and the transmission? I have had this thing off and on three times and can never seem to get rid of a little leak right there. I think the mating surfaces aren't entirely true. Will putting two gaskets in throw off anything critical?
                        \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 15, 2010

your leak is probably from the 2 seals for the input shaft? did you replace them? If you did , did you put them in the right way and not backwards? more than likely you nicked or pushed the seals out while installing.

Comment

• NO6YHY
                            258 I6
                            • Jan 11, 2004

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                            your leak is probably from the 2 seals for the input shaft? did you replace them? If you did , did you put them in the right way and not backwards? more than likely you nicked or pushed the seals out while installing.
                            Yes, I replaced them, the correct way. Done this a few times and don't believe I nicked or pushed the seals out. Whenever I've pulled it off, the seals were in place.
                            \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 15, 2010

Its real easy to damage the seals or knock them out of square when pulling or installing the transfer case, is the output shaft grooved where the seal rides? did you replace the bearings in the case?, is the output shaft bent slightly? I "bench press" the transfer case in and out as I have better control as it goes in. and can keep it square. just some things to think about...

Comment

Working...
                              X