So I have this '78 Cherokee S...
    Widetrack.
    Quadratrac.
    360 V8.
    Turbo 400.
    NP205 TC.
    Dana 44 F/R
    120k Odo.

I am the second owner as of 2010. Been one owner since purchased new in '78.

Original black carpet has been covered by red carpet since new.

No rust! Have the original loan paperwork when bought in '78, original registration, dealer window sticker, dealer accessories page, owners manual, servicing manual, original dealer sales brochure... yada yada.

Has Warn Winch and Roof Rack.

My question, is what would something like this be worth to someone wanting a Jeep like this? Times are tough... but not to the point of actually unloading her yet. Plus, garage space would be nice with this battleship outta the way.

Uploading Pics soon.
    Last edited by razorgrill; 02-20-2013, 12:39 AM.
    Matt N.
    Tucson, AZ

1978 Jeep Cherokee S (Fully Documented)

2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (Sold) (Lowered 3" R 2" F, K&N Intake, Header Back Alien Head II Exhaust, TRE Mod, Power Commander w/ Race Map, VP Race Fuel)

2013 Nissan Maxima (1 Owner, New Car Smell)
  • razorgrill
    232 I6
    • Jan 03, 2010

Matt N.
    Tucson, AZ

2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (Sold) (Lowered 3" R 2" F, K&N Intake, Header Back Alien Head II Exhaust, TRE Mod, Power Commander w/ Race Map, VP Race Fuel)

Comment

• razorgrill
      232 I6
      • Jan 03, 2010

Matt N.
      Tucson, AZ

Comment

• razorgrill
        232 I6
        • Jan 03, 2010

Matt N.
        Tucson, AZ

Comment

• will e
          Always Broke
          • Nov 16, 2001

I'll give you a thousand for it tomorrow!

If you are patient you should be able to get a few grand for it. The biggest plus being the condition of the body. Someone with some green will want it due to it being rust free. An easier find here in AZ but not so much elsewhere.

The documentation is nice but not going to add lots of value itself. People generally don't consider these 'collector' cars.

If it has an np205 it's a swap out. A plus for some, minus for others.

Interior is in good shape, needs a little work but easier/cheaper to fix than rust.

More pics of the underside/engine would help in a sale.

If it was my rig I would start around $4500, maybe even $5500 and see if I could get some bites. You might have to be patient.

The biggest trouble with the the fsj crowd is we all seem to be broke and cheap.

If you wanted to unload it quickly $2500 would be an easy sale... just PM me.
          Last edited by will e; 02-20-2013, 05:40 AM.
          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• will e
            Always Broke
            • Nov 16, 2001

I think the np205 might be a wrong. I don't see a shifter and your hubs are covered. If no one has swapped out the TC it has a quadratrac.
            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• razorgrill
              232 I6
              • Jan 03, 2010

It might be a 208? Not sure. Could have sworn he said it was a 205.

Sounds good. No hurry to sell. Just more along the line curious so if things keep going south in the economy, I could try and unload and keep afloat.
              Matt N.
              Tucson, AZ

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

It won't be a 208. You listed both 'quadratrac' and 'np205' in your description. It's almost certainly a quadratrac. Take a picture!

Comment

• Tad
                  • Nov 30, 2001

It's possible to get a 205 or a 208 into a '70's FSJ but either would require a complete trans tear down and output shaft swap and both would require a floor shifter to operate.
                  It's not common and it's not cheap so I doubt that was done.
                  Heck, you could even get a 203 into one and run it in FT 4WD and it would not be that different than a QT.
                  A good pic of the tcase and we'll be able to tell.
                  2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                  EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                  Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 04, 2006

What Jeep Cherokee?
                    Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
                    But it's free"
                    Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment

• Strode
                      1st Chair, Cowbell
                      • Nov 08, 2011

Originally posted by razorgrill
                      I'm gonna need some more info before I can give an accurate estimate.

It looks like a really nice rig. Just a matter of finding the right buyer at the right time. If it was mine, I wouldn't let it go for less than $12,000. I'd ask $15,000 if I just wanted to test the water. But it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay, not what somebody is asking.

If your really iffy about selling it, start high. It would cost somebody way more than that to get a rusty one up to that condition. There's folks on here that wouldn't pay anything near that. But I bet there are buyers out there at that price.

I never figured out how Wagonmaster gets $40,000 for some of his Wagoneers. They're nice, but not that nice.
                      Brad
                      (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• razorgrill
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 03, 2010

Ok. To the quadratrac topic.

Apparently, the TC was swapped by the dealer for a Cherokee Chief TC. Its a '78 Cherokee S, with the Chief TC. Swap was apparently done in Cali, few days after purchasing from Chicago.

So I stand corrected. Quadratrac. Good catch gentlemen!

I am trying to load some pictures, but this site hates me. Gives me such a difficult time uploading pictures.
                        Matt N.
                        Tucson, AZ

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

In '78 Jeep had only 2 TC options. The BW1339 QuadraTrac
                          (w/ or w/o low range) and the Dana 20.
                          Few trucks came w/o low range but most came with it.

Only reason to swap a QuadraTrac that soon would be mechanical problem/failure.

Not sure what you mean by Chief TC, as a Cherokee transfer case is a Cherokee transfer case. The Chief got the same case.
                          Tony
                          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• razorgrill
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 03, 2010

Chief TC with the Low Range option. The lever by the seat.

Apparently the S didn't come with it. Cali AMC/Buick dealer installed AC and the low range option. He called it the Chief TC. Must not be referring to literally swapping out the entire TC.
                            Matt N.
                            Tucson, AZ

Comment

• razorgrill
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 03, 2010

Apologies if I sound looney trying to describe this. Just repeating what the ole Vet told me.

If some of it is wrong, then its learning for me.

Thanks for the info and corrections again gentlemen!
                              Matt N.
                              Tucson, AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X