• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sakker
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 26, 2007

'83 J10: 258 Head Swap w/ 4.0+EFI *now with gen. pics

My 83 J10 w/ 258 is a lil underpowered, and I'm not able/interested in swapping to a 360 or a 401 anytime soon. So I have the opportunity to put on the 4.0l HO heads, and possible the fuel injection with it. I was looking at a Motorcraft 2150 before, but opportunity has come a knocking w/EFI.
    I was planning on this J10 to be a DD by summer, but my old car crapped out on me, so I needed to rush to get something else, picked up a nice GMC Jimmy, so the J10 will no longer eligible for DD status.

So I was hoping to hear from anyone that has done this, or anyone that has put in fuel injection. I know that the common thing is to put a 360 or something in, and go from there. I would love to just build up my 258, it only has 32k so I'm hoping its healthy, it ran decent in the fall, needs to new belts and exhaust, but didn't seem to have any other problems.

There will be pictures of the J10 in this thread, and there will be <hopefully> pics of the swap.

Any other suggestions for power upgrades, besides engine swap please? I'm planning 3.73 gears, along with 6" BJ's lift, 35's, couple other goodies to come later. J10 will be used for common trails, and a lil mud :P.

Thanks in advance?
    Last edited by Sakker; 01-15-2008, 05:32 PM.
  • Kali
    304 AMC
    • Mar 29, 2005

I think you will want to go with 4.10s or 4.56s depending on how powerful you make your 258. I would go with 4.10s at least, that puts you back in the factory power range. I would think a 258 powered J10 would be a real dog with 3.73s and 35s.

There are a number of 4.0 head swap write ups on here and across the net. It seems fairly straight forward but some people run into issues. The EFI I believe is more complicated because fitting it into the bay is a hassle, but there are ways around it.

[edit]
    I have 4.10s and 31s with my 258. Only mods on the 258 that I know of is the HEI, MC2100, and 2" exhaust all the way back, no cat. You can take it for a spin and see how much of a difference good gearing can make. I dont consider my truck fast or powerful, but it takes off pretty fast because of the gearing.
    Last edited by Kali; 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM.
    1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
    Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

Comment

• Sakker
      230 Tornado
      • Nov 26, 2007

Well now that this isn't going to be a DD I may up it to 4.10s, hadn't thought of that. I saw a multitude of 4.0 head swaps, but not much including the efi.

Got to love mechanics.

Got to love how oil preserves things.

Comment

• Kali
        304 AMC
        • Mar 29, 2005

Wow, that truck was very close to being added to the collection here. My dad spotted it on the way home from my sister's house. He came home and told me about it and we were going to check it out but never got back up there. I wasnt too interested in another 258 anyway

Looks like a nice truck though, a lot nicer than described.
        1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
        Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

Comment

• Blue & Gray
          258 I6
          • Feb 08, 2007

Thought about it also

I haven't really seen much written about swapping in EFI either. There is a stand alone kit sold by Mopar but it's high as gas prices. I have been thinking about more and more, I see a alot of H.O. head sixes at Pull-a-part with the entire mess still together. There's a sensor with pickups on the flywheel and other stuff going on with the conversion, a higher pressure pump etc. There's other options that in the end may cost more but give good performance also. Lots of folks run the weber 2 barrels and like them, there's Howell Throttle Body Injection, based on the chevy 4.3 set up. The EFI is sweet but if it was an easy deal I think there would be a million right ups telling just how it goes off.
          1976 J10 258/T15/D20 , Dana44's w/4.09's 31x10.50 Super Swampers BP's. HEI an otherwise stock. Runs Great. SOA/SF and 2brl soon

1976 Cherokee NT 232/SM465/NP205, Dana44's, w/3.54. 35x12.50 Mud Chain Saws, SOA/SF, HEI. MSD, 2 brl, Wag seats etc. Hard Spanked but in work now.

Comment

• Sakker
            230 Tornado
            • Nov 26, 2007

Ya, from what I have been told changing the heads is the hardest part. I have a friend who did on his XJ, his brother helped him, and he is the man who is hopefully selling me the parts. I will be doing the head swap probably on my spring break. The EFI will be put on when I have more time. I'll be nice and put up a guide after I figure out what I am doing.

Comment

• tj10
              232 I6
              • Dec 17, 2006

There is a site called cjoffroad or something to that nature that has a ton of info on wiring the mopar mpi up to work on the 258. I attempted this once with a obd2 system trust me stay away from the obd2 crap. When i get the time i want to swap my 4.0 from carb to mpi if you can get a harness from a yj which is obd1 it is a ton easier. They claim there are only 5 wires that need to be spliced to run the motor. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW if it seems like to much dont be afraid to run a carb im running a new (not rebuilt) motorcraft 2100 with a electric fuel pump and this is the best running, starting and driving carbed vehicle ive driven the mc2100 is close to efi in my opinion im just greedy and feel like i need about 15 or so more hp lol.
              Last edited by tj10; 11-21-2010, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by tj10
                There is a site called cjoffroad or something to that nature that has a ton of info on wiring the mopar mpi up to work on the 258. I attempted this once with a obd2 system trust me stay away from the obd2 crap. When i get the time i want to swap my 4.0 from carb to mpi if you can get a harness from a yj which is obd1 it is a ton easier. They claim there are only 5 wires that need to be spliced to run the motor. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW if it seems like to much dont be afraid to run a carb im running a new (not rebuilt) motorcraft 2100 with a electric fuel pump and this is the best running, starting and driving carbed vehicle ive driven the mc2100 is close to efi in my opinion im just greedy and feel like i need about 15 or so more hp lol.
                CJ-offroad has been off-line for a while. There are some mentions of it being up and down on other forums, but I have not been able to get to the site for months.

Another good source for Moper MPI info is jeepstrokers.com - this is the forum equivalent of the old Strokers Yahoo forum.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• jaber
                  Dragin Az
                  • Oct 17, 2003

You can also have the GM 7477 TBI computer modified to "batch fire" and use it to run all the electronics on the EFI...

I have not gotten this far yet, but depending on what info I find and how hard it is to convert, I am keeping this option open...
                  Jeff

'43 cj2a
                  '51 Willys p/u
                  '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                  '68 Panel Delivery
                  '74 CJ5
                  '75 J-20 Wrecker
                  '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                  '77 J-10 p/u
                  '79 Cherokee
                  '88 Grand Wagoneer
                  '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                    Cherokee Outlaw
                    • Jan 10, 2006

*01-15-2008, 08:45 PM*
                    Holy thread revival batman!
                    -Jonny B.
                    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• jaber
                      Dragin Az
                      • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                      *01-15-2008, 08:45 PM*
                      Holy thread revival batman!
                      LOL, Some times I dont pay any attention to that.
                      Jeff

'43 cj2a
                      '51 Willys p/u
                      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                      '68 Panel Delivery
                      '74 CJ5
                      '75 J-20 Wrecker
                      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                      '77 J-10 p/u
                      '79 Cherokee
                      '88 Grand Wagoneer
                      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

How do people even find threads this old to revive?

Originally posted by jaber
                        You can also have the GM 7477 TBI computer modified to "batch fire" and use it to run all the electronics on the EFI...

I have not gotten this far yet, but depending on what info I find and how hard it is to convert, I am keeping this option open...
                        I can see absolutely no purpose in using a GM TBI setup on a the Jeep I6s...there is a factory MPFI setup available...TBI is a BIG step backwards in technology there.

aa
                        1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• lycanthrope
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 26, 2007

Originally posted by Cecil14
                          How do people even find threads this old to revive?
                          search function

but to me it says they are doing their part to search first, post second. and also that they're a noob for bringing it back to life.
                          tommy
                          '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
                          '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
                          '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
                          '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
                          '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

Originally posted by lycanthrope
                            search function

but to me it says they are doing their part to search first, post second. and also that they're a noob for bringing it back to life.
                            Sarcasm...but I agree it is nice to see someone searching through the old threads. Bringing them back isn't necessarily bad, but tacking onto it without watching the age maybe....

aa
                            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• tgreese
                              • May 29, 2003

Yes, better to start a new thread and link to the old thread, if it contains relevant info. But newbs are shy about starting new threads... so it happens.

Not a big deal, generally.
                              Tim Reese
                              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                              X