• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tigger4X
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 16, 2001

Anybody done a 5th wheel in a J truck?

Just got a bomb dropped on me and I'm trying to figure out some options. One of them is whether or not a 5th wheel would give me the ability to drag a longer/heavier trailer than I could by regular bumper towing. While this may be common knowledge or whatever it's new to me so go easy on me.

I've seen a number of 5th wheel hitches that go in the bed for sale on Craigslist; a number of them are stationary units, but there are also the adjustable/slide type. There isn't too much difference in price from what I have seen so if the slide is better I'll go with that. One benefit to a 5th wheel is that there are more trailers for sale around here vs bumper pull, and they are generally less expensive. My guess is that more people just don't have/want the 5th wheel in the bed of the truck.

Maybe this will force me to put a heavier GVWR axle, like the J-20 or other, and heavier springs to handle it better. For now I'd only need to move it around minimally and at 45mph or less so running the stock J-10 suspension should suffice.

With all that said, what did you have to do to make it work?

Originally posted by will e
    Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
    Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
  • J20 project
    304 AMC
    • Dec 27, 2000

5th wheel or gooseneck? Most hauling type trailers would be gooseneck..most travel trailers would be 5th wheel.
    Either way, overall stability of them as compared to bumper pull is massively different. Massively different. Bumper pull sucks compared to hauling the load from the center of the axle.

J20
    BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
    775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Tanker
      350 Buick
      • Jan 04, 2005

If it were I then yes a J 20 axle with hydro boost as well. You must have the ability to stop. On my wifes J20 yes my wife has a J 20 an a J 10 both modified. Her 20 has a utility bed on it, it look like a 97 2500 Dodge air bags will fit on it with little difficulty. Yes I know that it is not a hitch but its a heavy beast for the hills over here. I would run 5 wheel hitch over bumper. It puts the weight just in front of the rear axle. Less lift on front wheels equal better braking and steering. If you can find a newer full float axle ,so you have disk brakes upgrade. We have several out front that have been running goose neck.
      Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
      Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• J20 project
        304 AMC
        • Dec 27, 2000

A disc brakes semifloat 14 bolt would even be an upgrade
        BP Drivetrain...........

775-537-7918

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Just my .02
          I wouldn?t use a stock D44 for heavy towing.
          Weak axleshaft bearings/poor braking.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Tigger4X
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 16, 2001

Yes, this will be a travel trailer and not a gooseneck style trailer.

I had thought over the axle would be better, but I've never dealt with it which is why I'm here trying to figure it all out.

Ideally I would be upgrading my axles to a heavier GVWR to include leaf springs as well as increasing braking power. At the moment I would only be moving it from Point A to Point B in town and pretty much dead flat roads. I've had a Dana 60/14 Bolt combo before, in my '76 Cherokee, so I know what that entails to get them under it and mounted. The 14 bolt was full float so that was a bonus. Right now that's more than I have on hand, but HD axles and brakes will be on my shopping list before it ever sees the highway or any distance. I've never bagged anything so that will be a learning experience, but I've heard the stability and ride quality will improve quite a bit so they will be on the To Do list as well.

Now that the 5th wheel has been decided on I'm looking to find out what I'm going to have to do to get the hitch mounted in the bed. I know you can bumper pull pretty easy with safety chains and flat 4 electrical connection, but the ride can be really improved with a weight distribution set up that has the 2 bars that go from hitch to trailer tongue. Is it really as easy as bolting the 5th wheel hitch into the sheet metal in the bed? Or does it need anything more to make it right?

Comment

• J20 project
              304 AMC
              • Dec 27, 2000

If you look at this link, you will see that there are brackets which must be bolted to the side of the frame. Then the upper flat rails bolt through the bed sheet metal to the brackets.https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...EaAh7OEALw_wcB
              BP Drivetrain...........

775-537-7918

Comment

• J20 project
                304 AMC
                • Dec 27, 2000

You also will be utilizing the electric brakes of the trailer after installing a brake controller in your pickup. 7 way plug in most likely
                BP Drivetrain...........

775-537-7918

Comment

• Tigger4X
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 16, 2001

Thanks for the link J20 Project
                  That made it easier to understand and I can see how it would attach to my truck with the L brackets under the bed secured to the frame and into the hitch base. In reading the customer reviews there was a 27' trailer being towed with the model you linked and another that was 32' long. Of course those were newer 2500 series trucks so I'm still unsure about my J-10 even just in town on flat land. I may be stuck in a hole here with this truck as dead weight. Trying not to get discouraged, but the walls are closing in pretty quick.

Comment

• j10jim
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jan 11, 2003

As I said to this question in FSJNetwork, I have a GMC 3500 dually I pull my 32ft 15Kpound 5th wheel with. I don't thing even a J20 would be up to the task, unless you had disc brakes, hydroboost, strong springs and shocks. Even then it might be a hand full in a panic stop situation. Would be interesting to see it, but I would probably not do it on a regular basis. Plus what is it rated to pull? CHP will nail you hard if you try and tow over the rated amount.
                    1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• J20 project
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 27, 2000

I am one of those people that always believed overkill is the best method concerning towing. That being said,I think a j10 would be fine with a boat, 16 ft car hauler, 16-18 ft travel trailer, but beyond that not really doable.
                      I installed trailer hitches and wiring packages for years and can honestly say people have always pushed the limits too much.
                      J20
                      BP Drivetrain...........

775-537-7918

Comment

• J20 project
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 27, 2000

I am one of those people that always believed overkill is the best method concerning towing. That being said,I think a j10 would be fine with a boat, 16 ft car hauler, 16-18 ft travel trailer, but beyond that not really doable.
                        I installed trailer hitches and wiring packages for years and can honestly say people have always pushed the limits too much.
                        J20
                        BP Drivetrain...........

775-537-7918

Comment

Working...
                        X