• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingdolan
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 21, 2016

No start,radio,turn lights,ect.. only head lampd and running lights work

1990 Jeep GW 360
    This is a mystery to me. New battery full charge 12+ volts. Only the head lamps and running lights work, also tailgate works with key. Starter does not engage, not even a click. And nothing else seems to be working either from radio, wipers, turn lights, fan blower for heater nothing. I can crawl under jeep and make starter turn engine over with a screwdriver, but no spark to plugs or coil.
    I just put the heater core back in after I removed it to replace the passenger side exhaust manifold, it had a hole the size of a tennis ball hid behind the heat shield, 2 broke bolts closest to firewall had to be drilled out.
    Took it out for a test drive to check for leaks in heater core, I had already cranked it and warmed it up 40 minutes prior to test drive. drove about 7 miles or so and was stopping at supermarket any way. Just as I was pulling in parking lot it died and had to call a tow truck to get it home.

Could this be the ' Ignition Starter Relay ' gone bad? if so what is the best way to test/check it to know for sure?

Look forward to hear how easy a fix it is or not from the tech experts.
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

check your fusable links near the battery
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• nograin
      304 AMC
      • Dec 19, 2000

If it dies on the way in then its not the starter relay or solenoid. IIRC 1990 has a chrysler type relay that in turn trips the Ford type starter solenoid.

Died while running is either going to be fuel or ignition. You'll have to look for clues. The suggestion to check for burned fusible link is reasonable. 1986 up had seperate link on each circuit. 1990 the links will be near that starter relay.

If you dont have a service manual, for a diagram go here;http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring-1990.html
      Open and copy/print ignition schematic, and wiring diagram 8W-page 5 "starter system" for the fusible links.
      The short wires labelled 10 then 18 gage Green or 14 gage Brown are fusible links.

Other possibilities.
      Did it run out of fuel? Seriously. I've had the rubber hose connecting to the fuel pump go south. The pump is then sucking on air.
      Things like that.
      I like to narrow it down if there is nothing obvious. So I check for fuel in the bowl, and spark after a quick looksee for anything obvious. If both those check out, then pull spark plug looking for a clue. Just keeping it methodical and logical.
      Last edited by nograin; 11-15-2018, 10:30 AM.
      '85 Grand Wagoneer
      360 727auto, NP229
      body by beer (PO)
      carries wood inside
      no "wood" outside
      My other car is a fish

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

No crank and just a few things working screams fusible links.
        Be sure to make sure no wires shorted to ground.
        Common cause is harness falling onto exhaust manifold on the passenger side.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Mass
          232 I6
          • Sep 26, 2017

Might also check your ignition switch on the steering column. Mine had a melted terminal and a burned contact so it would only engage the starter after a key cycling marathon. The other problem was no radio or cig lighter power 50% of the time. Both problems went away with a new ignition switch.
          89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• PBG928
            232 I6
            • Jul 29, 2016

Check ground wire on drivers wheel well as this is main ground for most circuits. One black wire with ring terminal next to washer tank.
            1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
            1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer(sold)
            1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
            1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
            1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
            1978 Jeep CJ-5 (sold)
            1968 AM General M35 (Sold)
            Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Comment

• kingdolan
              230 Tornado
              • Oct 21, 2016

UP-date

First of all, I would like to say Thanks to who ever put this forum together and a special Thanks to all who posted suggestions on what to look for.

Turns out it was a fusible link. Well you can replace the fusible link or even use a but-connector to put it back together, but what needs to be done is to discover what caused the fusible link to fail.

I had a short in the wiring harness that runs across the whole length of the value cover on passenger side. Same side that had a base ball size hole in the exhaust manifold, which caused a small fire and melted the insulation on about half the wires. I cut out the ones that were damaged and soldered in anywhere from 6 to 12 inch pieces as needed or so I thought. But I missed one and that is the culprit that cause the fusible link to fail.

I start in to fix the bad wire when I had an after thought. I wanted to move the wiring harness off the top of engine and ended up redoing everything I did before. Now wires are off the top of engine and everything back together.

I cranked it up last night and boy oh boy did she sound good. Today I took it for drive to run some errands and she died on me, but was able to coast to a shady spot to look for clues. After being parked in the shade for some time, checked to see if there was spark to coil and plugs yes got spark. I did this cause she would turn over just fine but would not hit. She finally started and went straight home, about 4 miles. I will be looking for clues tomorrow and post what I find as time permits.

Comment

• acct21
                327 Rambler
                • May 20, 2014

THAT sounds like a bad ignition module. Random stalling, then restarts after some time -- is commonly a bad ICM.
                1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Coils can do the same. If it stalls again check for spark immediately.
                  Feel the module, it should be warm but not untouchable hot.
                  If it's an aftermarket module most are poor quality and have a very high failure rate.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• jpcoutts
                    304 AMC
                    • Jun 28, 2002

My first thing to do in similar situations is clean the battery terminal connections (posts) and all other connections in the starting/ignition circuit. It seems to be a constant need on nearly every FSJ (CJ's too!) I've ever had. All older Jeeps and other older vehicles I suppose have this issue.
                    Jim C
                    '67 J3000 Dually
                    '86 J20
                    '79 CJ5(in pieces)
                    '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
                    Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• 67GMC
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 13, 2016

I'll vote for bad ignition module...
                      My Stable:
                      1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
                      2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
                      2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
                      2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
                      1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
                      1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• kingdolan
                        230 Tornado
                        • Oct 21, 2016

well it seemed everything was fine until a month age when I could not get it started, to shorten update, this is what i found to be the problem.
                        {Distributor Pick-Up Sensor} wires coming/going to distributor to wiring harness were rotten/insulation cracked/wires green-corroded. So now I will be searching the forum for post on how to replace the "Distributor Pick-Up Sensor"

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                          258 I6
                          • Jun 11, 2017

I had that problem on my Ford F100 (uses a very similar ignition system). It stuttered then died on me one day, and wouldn't restart. I thought I'd run out of gas!

Replacing the pickup sensor is a pretty easy job, you just have to take the top of the distributor apart (can be done without removing the whole thing).

I replaced mine with a new pickup, but it had really strange problems afterwards. In the end I found a used original pickup and that did the trick.
                          1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                          1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                          1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• tgreese
                            • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by kingdolan
                            well it seemed everything was fine until a month age when I could not get it started, to shorten update, this is what i found to be the problem.
                            {Distributor Pick-Up Sensor} wires coming/going to distributor to wiring harness were rotten/insulation cracked/wires green-corroded. So now I will be searching the forum for post on how to replace the "Distributor Pick-Up Sensor"
                            The plastic connector on these often falls apart. Corrosion is a common issue too.

You need to take the distributor apart to replace the sensor. It's an easily found service part. Do you have the TSM for your year? Distributor comes out to do this. Both distributor removal and sensor replacement is covered. You will need a small puller to remove the trigger wheel, and the sensor is underneath. Check the TSM - well covered there.
                            Tim Reese
                            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• kingdolan
                              230 Tornado
                              • Oct 21, 2016

Oh my <> tgreese , man you sure hid the nail square on the head and sunk it below the surface. There was so much green crud/corrosion gluing the connectors/plugs together it was impossible to pull them apart without them disintegrating. Now I need to find that wire harness side of the connector/plug. Anyone with an idea where to find the connector/plug ?
                              Or if push comes to shove, I could use a different type 3 prong plug

Comment

Working...
                              X