X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

If you're talking about the flat metal at the top of the carb, that's the choke. This time of year it should be nearly closed when you start the engine, and slowly open as the engine warms up. If it's not opening up, then that could be part of your problem, not enough air available to the engine.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• AMC4ME
      232 I6
      • Oct 15, 2008

Choke valve is open and I believe that a part of my problem might be a bad fuel pump. I have to give a few shots of gas to the carb before initial start. I'm going to change out the fuel pump and see what happends. I called a local carb guy and thinks this would be my problem. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

• AMC4ME
        232 I6
        • Oct 15, 2008

Maybe my fuel filter needs to be replaced.... I'll try that first.

Comment

• jeepbob
          Jeep Idiot
          • Jan 16, 2001

I just bought a Generic bolt on holley with no external float adjustment tossed it on and just adjusted the idle jets and speeds (high and low speed Idle) and it was good to go. I do run a pressure regulator at 3.5 lbs.
          65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• AMC4ME
            232 I6
            • Oct 15, 2008

I replaced both fuel pump and filter. Better initial starts but still only moves to 25mph with a high rpm. I checked around the carb and all hoses seem to be intact. The manifold (vent?) hose behind the carb has been plugged. Replace carb? Bad timing? Bah...........

Comment

• AMC4ME
              232 I6
              • Oct 15, 2008

What are your guys thought on maybe a bad transmission modulator? When the Jeep wants to switch to second gear it hesitates (briefly) as if it does not know what to do. Engine idle is good. I'm still wondering if maybe the missing down pipe from exhaust manifold is still in play.

Comment

• Lindel
                Perfesser of Jeepology
                • Jun 15, 2000

I was thinking along those lines, not modulator specifically, but tranny related.

I don't thing your exhaust is an engine issue at this point.
                Jeep Grounds
                RRV Homepage
                1987 Grand Wagoneer
                AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                1999 Wrangler Sport
                4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• AMC4ME
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 15, 2008

I've been glancing thru the Haines manual lately and I'm trying to come up with different solutions to the problem. This not the original engine ( I believe) and it was not quite honed in. Now I'm guessing on throttle control linkage with the tranny. Perhaps the linkage has too much slack?.

Sorry all ----- I really don't mean to clutter up this forum with my particular Jeep issue. I don't have any one to physicaly help me on my Jeep and I'm learning as I go.

Comment

• Lindel
                    Perfesser of Jeepology
                    • Jun 15, 2000

Don't sweat it, that's what we're here for.
                    Jeep Grounds
                    RRV Homepage
                    1987 Grand Wagoneer
                    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                    1999 Wrangler Sport
                    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Comment

• Peter Matusov
                      258 I6
                      • Nov 03, 2002

QJet on a BUick 350

Thanks for the link to the article on the Quadrajet.

I've swapped the QJet that came with the 72 Buick 350 (that was definitely leaning out close to WOT) with a known-good Chevy QJet. It idles well, runs well, and I should be all over it - but starting the truck became a matter of probability and full battery charge! One tap of the foot in the inopportune moment, and it'll flood the engine.

I wish I could make one good carb out of these two...
                      Peter Matusov /68 Wag/95 Range Rovers - SWB & LWB/96 Discovery - white and green/01 XC70
                      AK6PM

Comment

• Lindel
                        Perfesser of Jeepology
                        • Jun 15, 2000

Welcome back Peter! Good to see you're still around!
                        Jeep Grounds
                        RRV Homepage
                        1987 Grand Wagoneer
                        AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                        1999 Wrangler Sport
                        4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Comment

• Peter Matusov
                          258 I6
                          • Nov 03, 2002

Thanks Lindel,

I never went away - been lurking every now and then.
                          My son took the long Rangie away, and I never quite got used to driving a Volvo to work; the Disco on 32s takes just as much gas to drive to work as the Wagoneer, but the Wag rides much nicer. So...
                          ... 'soon as I get back from the sandbox, I'll devote some time to get back from a FSJ owner to an FSJ daily driver again.
                          Peter Matusov /68 Wag/95 Range Rovers - SWB & LWB/96 Discovery - white and green/01 XC70
                          AK6PM

Comment

• OutdoorNM
                            230 Tornado
                            • Mar 06, 2009

Holly for 1986 Cherokee?

Hi Folks,

I just acquired a 1986 Cherokee 160K with auto trans. When I couldn't get the vehicle started I took it to the local jeep(dealer) shop. They wanted $1000- for a rebuilt carb(no labor, just the carb)..... I eventually got a local garage to slap on a carb from the junk yard and do a bunch of other stuff for $600- It is now slow to start up, but once warmed up runs like a champ. I'm new to Jeeps, but have heard the carburetors can give you a lot of problems. I saw an add for 'remanufactured' Holly Carbs for my vehicle for about $525- which can be ordered thru' Auto Zone in 2 days.

I was wondering if I should consider the Reman' Holly should I have trouble with my existing unit? Your advice would be appreciated!

Lincoln

Comment

• Lindel
                              Perfesser of Jeepology
                              • Jun 15, 2000

Take a look at www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com for Holley carbs, and you should be able to get a remanufactured carb for $300 at the most. I'd start looking elsewhere to get your parts.

You'd be money ahead to pick up a shop manual of some kind and do the work yourself.
                              Jeep Grounds
                              RRV Homepage
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer
                              AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                              1999 Wrangler Sport
                              4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Comment

• OutdoorNM
                                230 Tornado
                                • Mar 06, 2009

Thanks, Lindel

I will check out those sites. I plan on doing a lot of my own rebuilding, but I was desperate to get the jeep functional.

Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X