• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DragonWarWag
    232 I6
    • Jan 26, 2007

my build up (sorry long)

I know it may seem on some of this i may be going back A**words... but to me it makes since.

1) Figure out what happened to my t-case.. drained it and stuck a screwdriver up that hole that was shown in flints page.. never felt a chain.. ... so dunno???

2)Fix the wiring.. if ya dont understand see pics... its to the point of scareing me. and that takes alot.looks like on average some of the lines have been cut and put back together 3-4 times in a 12in stretch.

3) Tires. there bald!!! gotta fill em up with air every few days. all 5 of em.

4) New exaust the one on there is .. um.. holier then swiss cheese.

5) start stripping the body in sections and finding out what the PO did to it .. already did a few spots and found MAJOR amounts of bondo and when i say that i mean inch thick spots rounding out the front corners both sides of the hood. Also at the same time start replacing panells. Reason for this is to try and save the body .. well whats left of it. this step would be off an on as time and $$ permits. leave it as a primer till rest is done. do to the fact of finding DEEP huge rents and having cancer through and through it will be a LONG time in doing and replacing panels.

6) use the Do it yourself Rhino lining on the inside floor of the jeep totally front to back. also the wheel wells. and put a new undercoat on it if needed

7) Motor upgrade either to a full 401 or a 360 with 401 heads and crank. NOt sure totally what way. also replacing all vacum and other lines with heavier duty versions.. steel braided.. steel lines or whatever i can find that will work.

the next few things will be added as i can find them and or get the extra bonus $

Roof Rack, 4-6 inch lift with all added ( not sure what style i wanna go with or how exactly on that) extra lights, heavier front and rear bumpers with winch front and back. VERY VERY last would be a new interior. upgrading brakes.

I plan on using this as a sometimes daily driver/work truck.. im trying to build it up as a pulling rig also. up to a few tons easilly at a time i would like it to be able to handle. and yes i know with the lift im loosing mpg etc. but like i said i plan on making this thing into a MOSTLY full heavy duty work/pull rig.

Please feel free to add ideas or poke holes in the ones i have. and or ask questions.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32735145@N07
  • Cherokee01478
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 05, 2006

Wow - sounds like you're gonna have your work cut out. Are you sure you want to do that level of major work on that rig? I personally might begin to look for a more solid example and either build one good one out of two; or, drive the second truck and use the first as a parts rig. If you are determined to stick with this rig, then I admire your commitment, and I can't wait to see how you get on.
    If nature abhors a vacuum, how does a vacuum feel about nature?

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Widetrack, 5.9l (360cu) with a Holley 600 carb.

Comment

• DragonWarWag
      232 I6
      • Jan 26, 2007

i would combine two of em if i c ould find another b ody like this one.. BUT i have the only two door around as far as i know

Comment

• Mud Thrasher
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 21, 2001

I know the feeling about being so few around. You might have to travel to get a decent one. Since I've been there before I hope you realize how much work and $$$$$$$ it is.
        1988 Grand Wag, stock for now

Comment

• DragonWarWag
          232 I6
          • Jan 26, 2007

yup i have done work on cars before by the tons.. everything from trucks to hot rods.. mostly hot rods . this is my first attempt at a 4 x 4 and im wanting to do it right the first time. so im more then willing to take my time.

Comment

• DragonWarWag
            232 I6
            • Jan 26, 2007

anyone feel free to poke holes in my plans or point out something im missing.. atm everything is in the planning stage but i really DONT know 4 x 4 that well but i am learning fast

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by DragonWarWag
              7) Motor upgrade either to a full 401 or a 360 with 401 heads and crank.
              Just to save you a couple of bucks....401 heads are identical to 360 heads so don't pay extra for heads that came off a 401. You may also want to research what it will take to stick a 401 crank into a 360 block? Prolly best just getting a complete motor rather than trying to build a Heinz 57.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
              X