• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gabezube
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 19, 2018

My first FSJ, 76 J10

Hey fellas, just git a new project I'm looking to restore.

It's a 76 J10, complete with a 360, auto trans and 4x4. The motor is junk, been sitting outside for 10 years with no carb or anything covering the intake. But trans and tcase shift fine.

I have a question for you guys. I gotta couple leads on motors. One is a 304, rebuilt and pretty out of a 74 javelin, comes with the tranny for $500. It's about 2.5 hours away.
    The other is a 360 from a mid 80s Wagoneer with the tcase and trans for $175. But it's about 4 hours away and the condition of the motor is unknown other than it turns.

Anyhow that's what I got and I'll be sure to update anything and everything I do to it. Thanks!

Last edited by Gabezube; 12-24-2018, 10:24 AM.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Sheet metal wise looks like a really good start for a project. I wouldn't bet on the trans/transfer case condition without a running motor? I'd pull the heads and pan on the 360 and have a look-see before buying not runnable unknown condition replacement motors. I'm not a fan of the 304 option but if "provable fresh rebuilt condition" could be an option for you? Not a bad motor but unless in a light CJ...kinda underwhelming IMHO. Might be cheaper/better to freshen up your existing 360?
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Gabezube
      230 Tornado
      • Dec 19, 2018

Originally posted by joe
      Might be cheaper/better to freshen up your existing 360?
      That's some solid advice! When I get it home I'll start tearing into the motor and see just how bad the damage is. I'll be sure to take some pics so we can further delegate future plans.

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Good plan. I'm a big believer in spending some time diagnosing the issue to know what I'm dealing with before guessing and writing checks. I used to have a pretty complete FSJ library that over the years been slowly selling off. Best money you'll ever spend on a FSJ. I looked and still have a couple "original not reproductions" 76 FSJ TSM's(AMC factory shop manuals). If interested PM me.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Welcome! Glad you are here! I think it's a great start, too.

I am with Joe, 304 would make that truck a dog. A mild 360 would be great and the most cost effective. You can probably get yours running for about a grand if you take your time and do your research. Don't get carried away with fancy parts and the cost will stay down. 360 with a decent cam, good intake/Carb, headers, and dual exhaust would be a lot of fun in that truck. get your compression up to about 9.5 or 10.5:1 and you would have a great driver.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Gabezube
            230 Tornado
            • Dec 19, 2018

Man I'm glad you guys are here, I would've blown way too much on those motors. I had a chance to go pop a valve cover on the current engine and the heads at least look totally useable. I still need to take the intake manifold off to further ivenstigate but from the surface at least it looks ok. On the bright side, I've waited till just now to let my dad in on my purchase, and as it turn out he has 2 full size wagoneers with all the same running gear/ drivetrain as my truck! And he says I'm welcome to use anything i need so looks like parts will be readily accessible! Here's a couple more pics fore your viewing pleasure.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

You should look under your motor mounts.... you may have a 401. There were not a lot of 4bbl 360s made and all 401s came with that 4bbl intake... the engine size is cast into the side of the block under the motor mounts..
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Gabezube
                230 Tornado
                • Dec 19, 2018

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                You should look under your motor mounts.... you may have a 401. There were not a lot of 4bbl 360s made and all 401s came with that 4bbl intake... the engine size is cast into the side of the block under the motor mounts..
                I'll definitely look into that! Dang I just got caught up on your build rang, your build is incredible and a huge motivator. Hopefully you we close to firing it up today!

Comment

• Gabezube
                  230 Tornado
                  • Dec 19, 2018

Definitely a 360. I finally got some time to put some decent tires on it so we can eventually get it moved to my place. While I was there I crawled underneath at took a look at the casting numbers.

Not only did I discover this, but I also noticed that virtually nothing is bolted together. The body is completely unbolted from the frame, the front clip is just sitting in place, even the bellhousing bolts and motor mount bolts are gone... Hopefully the previous owner knows where at least some of them are.. kinda disheartened to know that this thing really hasn't been cared for all that well.

P.s.
                  Once I have it home and start cracking into the engine, then I'll move this over to a build thread.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 25, 2016

Welcome,....

nice project truck !

J-10's are cool !

dave in NC
                    SOLSAKS - dave
                    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                    1982 J-10 Fleetside
                    1988 grand wagoneer