• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iroc86
    258 I6
    • Oct 24, 2003

How to make an old FSJ ride better?

I have an '89 Grand Wagoneer and I'm a bit disappointed with its ride quality. I've heard that GWs are supposed to ride "like a Cadillac," and I'd like to restore that trait. My suspension is pretty comfortable on flat roads, but hitting even the smallest pothole makes the Jeep feel like it's going to shake apart. Everything in the vehicle vibrates from the impact -- and this is on a rig with only 80,000 original miles.

Last summer I replaced the shocks, which seemed to help a bit. I'm considering replacing all of the rubber bushings (body mounts, leaf springs, track bar, etc.), but would old rubber bushings cause the jarring sensation I'm experiencing?

I've also thought about replacing the springs. Can old springs get stiff? The Jeep sags about an inch in the rear, but I'm afraid to install an add-a-leaf kit for fear of making the ride quality even worse.

I'm not expecting miracles from a leaf-sprung vehicle, but there's gotta be something I'm missing. How do your FSJs ride?
  • freeincolorado
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 27, 2009

My '89 rides ok, definatly not "like a Cadillac". New bushings might help, maybe try adjustable shocks. I wouldn't use add-a-leafs as those will worsen the ride.
    Tom
    1989 Grand Wagoneer:
    One problem a time.

I aim to misbehave.

Comment

• j20brett
      360 AMC
      • Jul 05, 2006

Grab a set of bilstein 5100 series shocks. rides amazingly well.
      Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
        304 AMC
        • Feb 02, 2006

Most of mine ride darn close to cadillacs. I have one that has dealt me fits.

What kind of shocks did you put on last summer?

If I can find them, I run non-gas, old-fashioned oil-only shocks. Not many places keep them anymore though.

Another thought - I had one that would jar you pretty bad on each bump, turns out the shock bolts were loose / egging out the holes in the shock mounts.
        There is no way to rule innocent men.
        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• Gary's Addiction
          258 I6
          • Sep 10, 2004

But they DO ride like Caddies,.... Caddies from the 80's that is.
          81 Cherokee - long gone
          91 Grand Wagoneer - more recently gone
          89 Grand Wagoneer - new ride currently sucking money out of my wallet.
          91 Grand Wagoneer - Back again!!!

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
            304 AMC
            • Apr 17, 2002

Replace Tie-Rods, motor mounts, body mounts, leaf springs, shocks, tighten steering saginaw, power steering dampner and all bushings in between.

Now replace all tires and get them balanced and shaved while on the vehicle, now it drives like a Cadillac...

Ever drive a 1989 Cadillac?
            Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper

Comment

I have driven a '72 Cadillac, and this sir, is no '72 Cadillac.
              Body bushings could be a problem. Spring bushings could be a problem. Bushings could be a problem anywhere. Gonna take some homework there.
              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• '72 wag
                232 I6
                • Apr 30, 2006

Tire presure can really screw with ride quality.

Comment

• iroc86
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 24, 2003

Wow, thanks for all the ideas!

The new shocks are Monroe Gas-Magnums, which is an OE replacement shock.

rustywagoneers_com, what are the advantages of non-gas shocks? Would that type of shock have come as standard equipment back in 1989?

I looked under the body and the mounts should probably be replaced. I can't seem to find a replacement part, though -- most places only want to sell "high-performance" polyurethane mounts. While those might last forever, they'll probably make the ride even worse. Does anyone know if rubber body mounts are still available?

My parents used to own an '88 DeVille, and that car just floated along. Great ride.

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                    304 AMC
                    • Feb 02, 2006

Non-gas shocks, of the size and type that the truck came with, would be soft.

Ever-so-soft.
                    One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                      304 AMC
                      • Feb 02, 2006

I was thinking about the ride of the various Waggies I have had while I was at the shop.

I don't think 'too-hard' body mount bushings would be much of a problem when discussing bone-jarring bumps. They might transmit more driveline vibration into the truck, but that's about it. Reason I make that argument is my 85 1-ton. It had the body / frame / roll cage all welded together as one solid unit (yes, go ahead and call me a hack if you must). And that was big and squishy and soft on the road.

Also, consider XJ's and Eagles. Unibody. Leaf springs in back.

Shocks. Loose things. I bet more of your jarring ride comes from those than anything related to body mount bushings - with the caveat that the body mounts are all tight.

Comment

• will e
                        Always Broke
                        • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by Gary's Addiction
                        But they DO ride like Caddies,.... Caddies from the 80's that is.
                        Hey, I was going to say that!
                        82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• 4x4Dad
                          258 I6
                          • Aug 19, 2008

I don't see any mention yet of the track bar out back and anti-sway bar up front. Checking those for bolt tightness and possibly replacing the bushings where the anti-sway bar meets the frame rails might tighten things up a bit and hopefully dampened some of the vibration.

To clarify, you say everything shakes--what does that mean? Doors, rearview mirror, steering column, radio knobs, what? Seems like you just want it to return to normal driving vibrations as quickly as possible, which would be the stuff listed earlier by Joe Guilbeau and the rest, plus the stuff I just mentioned.

If all else fails, tighten every bolt on the rig you can find, from door hinge bolts to the little screws attaching your grill to the front clip. If you can't tighten it so it remains loose, remove it if you can live without it.
                          Tucker

88 GW, AMC 360 with Doug Thorley headers, Howell TBI, NP242, TF727, 3.31 gears and the tow package, Magnaflow muffler and cat, BJ's 4" springs + 2" blocks and 1" shackles, and 1" body lift, 32" BFG's, aluminum rad, K20 front brake calipers.

My Jeep has tricked me into thinking I know what I'm doing.

Comment

• iroc86
                            258 I6
                            • Oct 24, 2003

rustywagoneers_com, that's a good point about unibody vehicles -- there typically aren't any bushings unless it has a removable subframe like a FWD car. I had an XJ a few years back and it absorbed bumps very well.

4x4Dad, I'm noticing most of the vibration throughout the rear of the Jeep... mostly side body panels, the floor, and glass. Probably the best way to explain the sensation is to imagine hitting a series of 2x4s, spaced about 12" apart, at 60 mph -- the bumps are very abrupt and repetitive. I'll add track bar and sway bar bushings to my list, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• Cappicaper
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 27, 2008

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
                              Non-gas shocks, of the size and type that the truck came with, would be soft.

Ever-so-soft.
                              X2 - Gas Shocks make all the bumps hit like stone. Bilstiens are great.
                              78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
                              69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
                              63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
                              www.buckstop.biz

Comment

Working...
                              X