• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suncatcher
    232 I6
    • Sep 25, 2010

Lift question, golden eagle 79

Bj's off road says that the 79-80 Cherokee chief came from the factory with a 1 to 1.5 inch lift. My springs are in desperate need of replacement. I was going to get the 2 inch lift kit but if this is true, the ride height would be the same. I'm wanting a 2 inch lift. Should I just get the 4 inch lift? Also if I get the 4 inch lift will I need pit arm, shocks, and brake lines?

Thanks guys
    Suncatcher(Brian)
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

I dont know if thats true or not. BJ's must be fairly sure of it, or they wouldnt have told you that.

If your srings are saggy, then no, new 2" springs wouldnt put your height where it is now. They would likely put it just over where it was from the factory.

Eitherway, I would reccomend going with the 4" lift. In my opinion thats about where the W/T cherokees and J-trucks shold have been from the factory.

No matter which way you go, you probably need to replace your shocks so thats a mute point.

You dont have to replace your brake lines if your truck is a street cruiser. However, you will want to change them if you want to flex it off-road.

Regardless, the lines are over 30 years old, so they could probably stand being changed for safety and piece of mind. BJ's brake lines are VERY nice!

The DPA is also not required with a 4" lift. However, without it the added height will worsen your bump steer when off road. I reccomend getting one....

Comment

yes, there are various reports and good evidence that 79 and 80 chiefs had an extra inch or so from the factory. fast forward to today, and these 30+ year old rigs are almost all suffering from beat and worn out springs, so they can be all around the same height now. 2" is above factory, so even stock springs could add a bit of lift to your rig as it sits now, but your mileage may very given how worn your springs are. that said, i'm with robert on the 4" springs. take a look at bj's picture thread and see what you think about the 4" springs, usually with 32" or 33" tires and see if you like that route. when i first started i planned 4" /33" combo, then it went to SOA (7") and 36" tires. so just make sure you plan it out and don't regret going a little bit higher later down the road after you invest in new springs.

Al
      79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
      99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
      07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• will e
        Always Broke
        • Nov 16, 2001

I vote with DMNTXN. Get springs that are for a 4" lift and call it good.
        Replace the shocks and the brake lines.
        82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Suncatcher
          232 I6
          • Sep 25, 2010

Reply!

Thanks guys! Also, do I have to worry about driveline vibration with the 4 inch lift. The man who had the truck before me, baby this thing. I have records going back 31 years for every time he put gas in the thing. So I really don't want to screw this up.

Suncatcher(Brian)

Comment

drivelines are fine up to 6" of lift. but new u-joints may be needed anyway, and could be 'shown' when you increase the angle after length.

springs, shocks, brake lines, drop pitman arm, bigger tires.

Al
            79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
            99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
            07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Cherokee Outlaw
              • Jan 10, 2006

My '81 Chief was no shorter than the '80 Golden Eagle it was sitting next to when I bought it. And my '79 Golden Eagle wasnt any taller than any other stock Cherokees before I lifted it. What size tires are you wanting to fit? My stock flat springs fit 31s without a problem and probly could have gotten 32s or maybe even 33s in there if I didnt flex it out too much. But I went with 4" springs on my '79 Golden Eagle and have 33s as of right now and dont have any problems with rubbing.
              -Jonny B.
              1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
              7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
              AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
              NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
              F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
              R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Wagoneer - Sold
              1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• bg2pres
                258 I6
                • Dec 07, 2003

Golden Eagles and Chiefs did have 1.5" of lift, stock.

2" of lift will be very close to stock.

33" tires will fit a stock GE or Chief and only rub on tight turns and flexing, I have run 33s on stock 79 Cherokee since it was brand spanking new.

I now have 6" of lift and am still scratching my head, WHY? I have just a very minor vibration with that lift.

4" should be perfect, but stock height is all you will ever need!

JB
                bg2pres
                1979 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle
                1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
                1981 Jeep Scrambler Laredo CJ8 (sold)
                2000 Jeep Wrangle TJ Sahara (sold)

Comment

• dirtyduckdon
                  230 Tornado
                  • Nov 10, 2010

lift