Well, I learned my lesson- Never buy without a title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, a lawyer would likely outweigh the monetary cost...that's why I said "worth it to you" haha.

Unfortunately, I find it really unlikely that the yard would take such a risk. Their risk is not simply getting a slap on the wrist from the city, it is the liability that they release a vehicle to a person they KNOW is not the legal owner and he then cause an accident and kill someone. The problem with unlicensed vehicles is where the liability resides. Should anything happen, that liability often ends up on the last registered owner, or in this case it would land on the wrecking yard for releasing it without authorization.

From the sounds of it, the wrecking yard is not the party with the hold anyway, it's the city. They impounded it, it is technically their property right now.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

true. true.

Come city! Hook a brother up!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Mustang Shooter
        232 I6
        • Apr 20, 2012

Do you have bonded title agents?
        If so, maybe they have a way to help you in this matter.
        Might be worth it to check if you do.
        Good luck
        Dan

Comment

• acct21
          327 Rambler
          • May 20, 2014

Originally posted by Mustang Shooter
          Do you have bonded title agents?
          If so, maybe they have a way to help you in this matter.
          Might be worth it to check if you do.
          Good luck
          Dan
          I would guess the time for getting the bonded title has passed -- you'd have to have it in your possession to get it inspected and/or get the VIN verified. If the yard/city won't release it, I don't think you could get a bonded title processed... at least not in Texas. Might be different in Colorado.
          1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• JTruck-Connor
            232 I6
            • Jan 29, 2017

Oh man. It's been a wild ride you guys.

Let me start by saying- the Jeep is BACK IN MY GARAGE! I got it back, and it won't see the street again until I have temporary tags to drive it to the VIN inspection. I learned my lesson somethin' fierce.

I ended up going up and down the phone/ email chain Monday morning until I finally got forwarded to the supervisor of the officer who wrote the tow slip. She said "bring me good enough proof that it's your truck and I'll write a release letter to the tow company." So I brought the old plates off the truck, the keys, the original owner's manual, my bill of sale, the countless documents I have printed in order to work on it (including some from you fine jeep owners from way back on the quadratrac stuff), all the forms needed to apply for a new title filled out as completely as possible at this point, emails, phone records, pictures, part numbers... Anything I had, it went with me to the PD. Turns out, they needed a picture of the VIN plate (since they wrote it down wrong in the first place) and a picture of it in my garage last January. They went ahead and signed the form and told me pretty much straight up that they towed it because they thought it belonged to the guy across the street running the auto shop illegally. They told me, very transparently, that they receive many complaints a day about him, and that it would be wise to avoid violating code on my street as they are desperate to catch him at anything.

They said the truck is very recognizable and gave me their office lines, I gave them my cell and they put it on file and told me they would call me if they ever put another slip down in case I missed it.

I still had to pay some of the impound and tow fees, but a little less than half of them because the tow yard was very understanding (and a little impressed I managed to get a release letter) and I went to the tow yard and, even though I just got it running two days before it got towed, it started up and drove right onto the trailer. Didn't even complain about it. So now Plain Jane, became Felony Jane, and will be affectionately referred to as Jailbird Jane until she has plates. This is why we don't name things, but my buddy that helped me get her running again is a serial project-namer.

Anyways, thanks for following the crazy drama. So far, a happy ending, but it isn't really an ending until there is a title in hand. I'm gonna focus back on the build thread and kind of let this one die unless you guys have any questions about it.

I'm about 90% of the way to a VIN inspection, but I have to be able to drive two cities over for it. So suspension and brakes, then temp tags. Should be fun. I'm really, really glad I have good news for this one. Thanks for the advice and help along the way. Except the shotgun maybe, Tom. Though I may have considered it myself, I don't think I needed encouragement there

Cheers

(also, in CO, depends on the city but where it was impounded will not let you bond for title without VIN inspection, and will not go to site for inspection. You have to bring it in. Also, yes the legal fees would have been way more than I could throw at the truck, but luckily this time that didn't matter in the end. The truck and budget is still on the "worth it" side of things, but only barely. If I avoid another tow and get the stupid thing titled without incident, and nothing blows up, then it will still all be worth it. And even if all that doesn't happen, this has already paid off in fun days of wrenching, despite the headache.)
            1976 J20 "Plain Jane" - Original 401, TH400, BW1339
            Build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182038

Jeep looking for new home:
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187181

My Honda was my motivation to finish my Jeep Now it's just reality.

Comment

• Mustang Shooter
              232 I6
              • Apr 20, 2012

Awesome, glad to hear it has gone in your favor!

Comment

• xabn82
                232 I6
                • Jan 01, 2016

Glad to hear you got your truck back.
                1973 J4000

Comment

• airman
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 21, 2010

Can you take it on the trailer for the vin inspection

Andrew
                  1969 J3000 Dauntless 350, T15, D20
                  1970 CJ6 Dauntless 350 , T350, D20
                  1951 CJ3A in the wings

Comment

• JTruck-Connor
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 29, 2017

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I can trailer it to the VIN inspection, but if I do it starts the process to be "rebuilt from salvage" instead of just getting a free and clear title. At least that is my understanding. It may be that this isn't true until the vehicle inspection, but I'm not taking the chance, as it is a longer process to rebuild from salvage. Anyway, I am going to get temp tags and drive it over to the office, partially because I don't want to chance salvage but also because I am dying to get it out on the road and see what the situation at speed it- i.e. driveshafts, suspension replacements, etc. So I will jump at the chance if the county is going to let me drive it on the road.
                    1976 J20 "Plain Jane" - Original 401, TH400, BW1339
                    Build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182038

Jeep looking for new home:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187181

My Honda was my motivation to finish my Jeep Now it's just reality.

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

Ok I'm confused but it happens easily and often so no reflection on you. Even if the city allows you to haul it for a VIN inspection, how's that goona help you get a title? Since the guy you bought it from didn't have a title nor did the guy he bought it from Even if the truck doesn't show up as a stolen vehicle the VIN inspection will show the "legal" owner as in the last guys name on a valid title. Regardless of previous lost title/title jumping shenanigans whatever. I don't see where the state is going to ignore the "legal owner" and issue you an owners title, salvage or otherwise?? Kinda the function/purpose of a VIN inspection. The city that impounded your truck for being parked illegally on the street has nothing to do with titling/ownership. Before you spend time/money hauling it around for a VIN verification I would "walk-in" to your Dept of Licensing and have a face to face sit down and find out what you need to do according to state laws not city laws. Me thinks the city clock puncher is blowing smoke up your tailpipe about getting it titled. If somehow this leads you to a salvage title (not likely) take it. At least it will somehow "legally" be your truck. Better than losing it and the labor and money you already put into it. If you plan to keep the truck a salvage title isn't a big deal. May depending on your states insurance providers up your ins rates but not in every state. Biggest issue with a salvage title is when you try to sell the truck. "Salvage title" to most buyers screams "wrecked or totaled" by the ins company with no guarantee it was repaired correctly and safe so salvage rigs sell for "extremely less" than a properly titled vehicle. Keep doing your homework through the state not the city/county.
                      joe
                      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• SJTD
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 26, 2012

I had the impression this thing has been sitting around so long it's off the books.

I thought part of the VIN inspection is verifying it isn't stolen. That and the bills of sale he has allow him to get a new Title.

But I get cornfused easily too.
                        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Originally posted by SJTD
                          I had the impression this thing has been sitting around so long it's off the books.

I thought part of the VIN inspection is verifying it isn't stolen. That and the bills of sale he has allow him to get a new Title.

But I get cornfused easily too.
                          A bill of sale doesn't mean jack if it's not from the legal owner of the vehicle. I could write my neighbor a bill of sale for a vehicle down the road, doesn't mean it holds any weight.

The only way I see this going through is if they find that it has never been reported stolen and the legal owner has clearly not registered it in so long it could be considered a derelict and re-title to a new owner.

I'm kinda with Joe on this one, though. Definitely do your homework (sounds like you really already have) before you invest much more. Make 100% sure that this baby is YOURS without a doubt before you even open the garage door again. haha

aa
                          1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• SJTD
                            304 AMC
                            • Apr 26, 2012

Originally posted by Cecil14
                            The only way I see this going through is if they find that it has never been reported stolen and the legal owner has clearly not registered it in so long it could be considered a derelict and re-title to a new owner.
                            Isn't that what I said?
                            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Crankyolman
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 27, 2017

I'm glad you got it back. I was just looking at a 71 J-4000 on CL that someone is trying to sell without a title, it's amazing how many cars and trucks you see listed like that. Fortunately there is a way to get one in Wa but it is a long drawn out 2 year process.

Why don't you just trailer it to a block away from the inspection then drive it that one block to get it inspected?

Also in most places the tow companies auction off vehicles after 30 days with a possessory lien, they don't need a title to do it, they just have to verify it hasn't been reported stolen. Not sure why they would say they would just send it to the crusher other than they don't want you just buying it back for $50 and not having to pay the million dollar storage fee. Of course if you were in the situation it went to auction and you bought it back with a possessory lean, then you would be able to get a title for it much easier using the lien paperwork. Also you may have been able to leverage the tow as a means for getting paperwork from the original owner. Here in Wa, my understanding is that if you get towed and they sell it for storage the registered owner gets stuck with the bill for the remaining amount and you can't get tabs or renew your drivers license until you pay it off. Not sure how it works in Co.

Just some random thoughts for the next person this happens to
                              '72 J4500

Comment

• Maxgroup
                                232 I6
                                • Jun 15, 2015

Well I?m happy for you brother!
                                Now keep going and give us pics

Comment

Working...
                                X