Why we love our Jeeps so much, my theory.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texafornian
    258 I6
    • Apr 01, 2014

Why we love our Jeeps so much, my theory.

While we may live in perpetual frustration because few companies have chosen to support our beloved rides, and while we may wonder how an educated engineer could do something so boneheaded, from time to time.............I believe the main reason we love our Jeeps so much is they are basically made with the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) and they actually work. Jeep is the only manufacturer I have ever experienced that could make such a broad range of vehicles that actually work well off road, and on the street at the same time. From the early military Jeeps and trucks, through the civilian age of CJ's, TJ's, XJ's, Trucks, and SJ's, they just seem to be able to get the job done. They aren't cutting edge, yet when maintained, they are like that loyal, dependable, loveable mutt that you currently have, or wish you still had. In my humble opinion, modern Jeeps are kind of foo-foo compared to the pre 1992 models. They have some wonderful technology on the newer ones, but for me, they don't instill the same "soul." I've owned several and they never filled my heart or soul with the deep down feeling I get with the older models, which is why I bought an older model and didn't keep any of my newer ones (TJ, JK, and Grand Cherokee). Just thought I'd share a little coffee and Jeeps with y'all today. Happy Trails.
    ~Jim Sherlock~
  • Jjkage84
    327 Rambler
    • May 18, 2011

I agree with you and would like to add that they are, in my opinion, what America is all about. Not saying that folks elsewhere can't enjoy them, or don't love them just as much.

But to me, there's a sense of pride in owning a Jeep. It took our father's, grandfathers, great uncles, ect., across Europe and the Pacific fighting the good fight ect. It's just very Americana, right in line with the likes of Harley Davidson and a good ole Colt 1911.

Its rugged. It'll piss ya off from time to time. It's not the most comfortable or reliable vehicle. But by God, you can still get your hands dirty and work on them if need be. (don't know about the new new models anyways).

Not only that, but I enjoy the idea of knowing that 30 years ago, when my Jeep was made, an American built it with pride. (Nothing against foreign cars and I'll explain).

That American made that Jeep, well, not sure how many Jeep employees work at the Jeep plant, but, if I had to guess, if it's anything like the Fenton plant in Missouri (Dodge truck and Van plant), it was thousands. That doesn't include the other smaller companies that manufactured the other odds and ins. The local businesses and restaurants that are literally only in business because of the employees of that plant.

It's simple economics in my opinion, and it makes me believe I'm carrying on that legacy. In short, and trying not to veer too political, Jeeps are as American as Apple pie, buying Jeeps (i.e. Domestic products in general), helps our country financially. Those good paying jobs provide a higher tax base which results in better communities, better schools, better paid and equipped first responders, lower crime rates, and an over all better livelihood for Americans.

Again, I want to reiterate, I have nothing against foreign cars, those that purchase them, or those that disagree with my thoughts or opinions, cause they're just that. Thoughts or opinions.

Have a great day folks!
    1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141075

www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• cma
      350 Buick
      • Jan 26, 2012

no more words...agree 100%
      Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• DarkMonohue
        Shakes hands with danger
        • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by Jjkage84
        Not only that, but I enjoy the idea of knowing that 30 years ago, when my Jeep was made, an American built it with pride.
        I do understand your sentiment, but the proud Americans who built yours must have taken a lot more pride in it than the ones who built mine!

And I can't claim to be expert in politics or economics, but it seems that buying a new Camry built by proud Americans in up Loolville would do more for our national economy than buying an old heap (profits from that purchase being squandered 30 years ago) and occasionally replacing worn out stuff with new Chinese replica parts. Not that I'm advocating Chinese parts, but it sure is tough to find any that are manufactured (or remanufactured) here.

Anyway, that's enough cynicism for this early in the morning. I like mine because it's different, and plenty tough, and just suits me better than the usual big three stuff. And it's undervalued. And I like the fact that it's obsolete...it's like driving a ghost.

Second choice for me would be an International.
        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Jjkage84
          327 Rambler
          • May 18, 2011

You're exactly right, buying a new vehicle would be/is a lot better for our economy than the 30 year old heap. I, however, would be laughed out of any and all finance facilities for various reasons. Either way, that's why I said "legacy". If I could buy a brand new Jeep, I would. Maybe. Wouldn't like the payments but either way, yes, using a new car would be better for the economy.
          1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

No worries. I have been very careful and have the credit to buy any new car I want (exotics notwithstanding), but that's partially because I don't run around buying new cars! It may be better for the national economy to do so, but not for my personal economy, and that's the one that puts food on the table.

Also, new cars don't do it for me. They are smarter than I am, and I can't allow that. I work on cars for a living and don't get along with the philosophy of having to have a specialized machine (or several) to communicate with the car so that it can drop little hints about how it's feeling and, if you're lucky, you can decipher those into some sort of message about what kind of a day it's having and what you can try to do to make it better. I have a wife for that sort of interaction...

With machines, I want/expect them to simply do what I tell them to do. I like machines that follow orders without talking back, without demanding that I jump through hoops to put them in the right mood, without tattling to the revenuers if I go too fast or too far. My J20, as well as my AW11 and my wife's ZJ, follow orders. And they do what they do very well. They are proficient, obedient, and willing - like a good dog, really.

There is also a sense of satisfaction in driving something that is configurable any way I want. If I want a rhino chaser grille, or extra fuel tanks, or a Detroit 453T, or tandem rear axles, it can be done. New stuff doesn't afford those freedoms because it's so much more integrated and so blessed expensive to buy in the first place.

Anyway, sorry about the sidebar. Carry on!
            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Jjkage84
              327 Rambler
              • May 18, 2011

Haha! I honestly couldn't have said it better my friend! It's the absolute same way I feel about vehicles in general!

It's hilarious actually. I was telling my girlfriend, that I'd get her her tub jeep, any way she wants it, but I get my "vehicles" the way I want.

My brother in law has a brand new Ford eco boost blah blah blah. It has every bell and whistle that possible. Something that goes wrong with it, good luck with even trying to think about fixing it!

That's my reasoning behind buying an older vehicle. One that I want. One that I can make "how I want". I explain that to my girlfriend, she looks at me, and ask "what are you 100?!" because I said I want an old jeep truck that I can work on, ect.
              1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                Banned
                • Mar 01, 2009

I like mine because it was bought by my dad in 1979. My Dad got the idea from my Grandfather who had bought a J20 in 1978 and recommended it for the harsh winters we would be heading into from Sunny/Smoggy/Over-regulated L.A. CA.

I wasn't always intrigued by the 1979 J20 I bounced around down rutted roads, across open prairie, and into/through (occasionally stuck in) deep snow when I was a kid of 8-15 years old. But When I started driving, I started looking for a cool lifted 1970s Chevy truck to buy, all while driving this weird J20 thing everywhere. Then I started to discover the J20 had a lot going on for something so weird. Dad had built warmed up 401 for this truck and that was a fun engine! I grew to appreciate the various subtle improvements the J20 held over the Big Three's truck offerings of the same era. By the time I had been driving Dad's J20 for roughly 4 years I knew I wanted it. It took Dad two more years to agree to sell it to me! So in 1996 I owned a 1979 J20, and I began improving the things I had grown to dislike. Which was really cosmetic stuff.

Dad missed his J20, and bought another 1979 J20 used, drove it for a few years and it acquired some issues. He GAVE that one to me and bought a used 1994 Chevy truck. He was finally over his Jeep infatuation. I had to do a lot of work to get that second J20 running/driving again, but then my wife (now X) drove it to work and about killed it, running it 3-4 quarts low on oil. I resuscitated it and it went on to run again.

That first J20 is now my 4-door.

That second J20 is now my green truck.

Both are purely me. I wouldn't sell them unless I absolutely had NO OTHER CHOICE. Currently they are going to be kept in the family along with a Cherokee/Truck hybrid I'm building. I'm passing on my FSJ legacy to my kids. Why? Because they love them TOO!
                Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• smacaroni
                  258 I6
                  • May 04, 2011

Mine was my first "car" purchased by my Grandmother for me. At the time I was pretty pissed because I thought it was Wrangler, far cooler for a HS Sophomore than a Wagoneer.
                  Before I graduated, my old man bought a 83 Subaru GL which I spontaneously off-roaded after entering a S turn too hot which we traded for an 86 Subaru GL which I rode the wheels off of. I parked the Jeep and headed off to school, started a career (which has been financially good, but soul crushing, so if you have any suggestions for a mid-middle class income, feel free to PM me.), bought a house, got a family, sold the house, and then got into camping and off-road motorcycles...
                  Which is where my Wagoneer comes back into the picture after 16 years.
                  I've been a member here for several months, but I've yet to make a proper introduction. Hi, I'm Smacaroni, people call me all sorts of things, Smac, Mac, 'roni, "Hey You in the bushes!". I'm a generally good natured guy who will make a bad joke any time the opportunity presents itself. In the real world, I play a

I put a lot of work and a little bit of money into the rustoration. It may not be 100%, but it does what I need it to do.

Most of the time anyway.

And that's why I now pay $1.40/mo for towing on my auto insurance.

I digress. I love it because it's mine. It's got flaws and cracks and the paint was uber-cheap so I need to paint it again (but now I can afford the equipment and paint to make it last!) And sometime in the near future, I want a transmission that I have to stir... That's my only big complaint, that it's a slush box. While I probably could sell this one and buy a 3 or 4 speed original Cherokee, I think I'd rather do the work to make mine what I want it to be, a mildly worked over, reasonably economical, reliable, 4 or 5 speed, minor lifted, camping and hauling vehicle that goes where I need it to go when I need it to go there and in reasonable comfort too.

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                  And I can't claim to be expert in politics or economics, but it seems that buying a new Camry built by proud Americans in up Loolville would do more for our national economy than buying an old heap (profits from that purchase being squandered 30 years ago) and occasionally replacing worn out stuff with new Chinese replica parts. Not that I'm advocating Chinese parts, but it sure is tough to find any that are manufactured (or remanufactured) here.
                  The $30K you're going to put into a new Toyota with and additional $5K of interest for the life of the loan does just as much good as it does to buy $35K worth of hardware, beer and groceries. It's not like the money you're not spending on a new car is going to vanish into thin air. Well, it might, but you made something else appear in the place of that $35K. Even if you spent it all on cigars.
                  1982 Wagoneer LTD, Slushbox, I6 w/ 4.0 head, Explorer rear spring, 4.0 timing set/cover and backwards fuel gauge. How many gallons per mile do you make?
                  Proper grammar dictates the question is "may I borrow your BFH?" To which I answer "yes, you may, no take the bigger one, you'll need it".

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                    Banned
                    • Mar 01, 2009

Originally posted by smacaroni
                    The $30K you're going to put into a new Toyota with and additional $5K of interest for the life of the loan does just as much good as it does to buy $35K worth of hardware, beer and groceries. It's not like the money you're not spending on a new car is going to vanish into thin air. Well, it might, but you made something else appear in the place of that $35K. Even if you spent it all on cigars.

I agree, but you gotta split hairs with the whole American Dollar argument, because how much of every dollar exclusively, directly benefits Americans?

Can anyone say that buying a Camry "Made In The USA" is not in some way directly funding international communism, terrorism, or worse: Russian Mail Order Brides?

Its a Global Economy. Money travels around the community and around the world. its really pointless to debate who benefits from buying a new car. The Finance companies and Banks get a lot of your money for buying that car with credit. Villainize the Banks for the higher interest rates, but those people that work there provide a service and they need a paycheck too.

We can't all be Farmers and Factory Workers.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program: "Why We Love
                    Our Jeeps So Much." Sponsored by IFSJA.ORG. (A subsidiary of the Russian Mail Order Brides corporation.)

Comment

I love the old girl just about as much as I do the wifemate....At least I don't need a $50K diagonostic setup to tell me that a sensor (what in the world is that anyway?) of one sort or another is on the fritz. And I can climb in the firebox and stay out of the rain when I do have to do anything on her.

Our old iron operated on the KISS principle for the most part, and so do most of us old folks.
                      Art
                      ASE Master Collision Tech
                      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Bill Moore
                        304 AMC
                        • May 22, 2006

Originally posted by Tinkerjeep
                        He was finally over his Jeep infatuation. I had to do a lot of work to get that second J20 running/driving again, but then my wife (now X) drove it to work and about killed it, running it 3-4 quarts low on oil. I resuscitated it and it went on to run again.
                        hmmmm, sounds real suspicous, my ex did the same thing, might be the same person???.

I dont love my Jeeps, I just lust after them, probably cause of Dads customized Willys wagon he had in the 60s. We went hunting and fishing in Alaska everywhere in that truck.
                        Last edited by Bill Moore; 07-02-2014, 12:03 PM.
                        DDs
                        67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
                        78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                          Banned
                          • Mar 01, 2009

Hah! I think Women who are too wrapped up in themselves routinely neglect anything they "feel" their husband/boyfriend may love more than them. The thing that P.O.ed me the most about it was she had to do regular maintenance checks on the bus she drove twice daily...but she could never bother checking the friggin oil in the ONE drivable vehicle we had at the time! That was during the 4-door build. We split shortly after that, but not really because of that. Her idea. I won't get into it here. Not worth it.

I still have a love/hate relationship with my Jeeps. But I do appreciate them for a lot of reasons, some more than others.

Comment

Working...
                          X